Bit of an unusual day... spare of the moment fishing

big Neil

There's a NEW boat ramp at Darlingtom Point on the Murrumbidgee River so I thought I'd check it out today. I woke at 3am (insomnia) with the intention of watching Liverpool v Man Utd on the tele. It wasn't coming on till 4.30 so I decided to do some cooking. I made a large dish of potato bake and put it in the oven. Then I watched the Soccer and decided that I'd need some shrimps. Headed to the channel at the end of my street and put the shrimp net in. Went back home, sorted the cooking and got the boat ready. I headed off to Darlington Point with about 20 shrimps, cheese and some chicken breast...plus food and water. 50 kms later I got there and was greeted by a council worker who informed me that the new ramp was closed today as they were doing line marking. He said that the old ramp is still useable. I decided not to bother with the old ramp as its a pain when the river is running. I was only about 2 kms from the Sturt Hwy so decided to head back to fish at Narrandera, 65 kms away. Headed down the Sturt Hwy and on the way changed my mind again. This time I headed to my local ramp which is 15 mins from my home. Anyway 1.5 hrs after leaving home I launched the boat.

I decided to try new water downstream and found a likely spot. As usual I rigged up with all the baits on double paternoster rigs and started fishing. I do this to find out what the fish are feeding on. Barely 5 minutes and I landed a nice fat Murray Cod of 60 cms. It took the live shrimps. I put fresh shrimps on and lobbed in again. Barely touched bottom and I was onto another Cod of 45 cms ... shrimps again. I was running low on shrimps so deployed the shrimp net to try to replace what I was using. NO BITES ON ANY OTHER BAIT! The other rod had showed no interest whatsoever so I rigged it with shrimp and cheese. After a few minutes I started getting some interest but it wasn't Murray Cod, I could tell by the bite. Firstly thought it was Silver Perch but to my delight I brought in a small Yellowbelly. I put more shrimps on and got a bigger Yella straight away. Shrimps now getting desperately low so I put a single shrimp on hooked differently. Minutes later another Yella. The shrimp net couldn't provide enough shrimps to keep the school interested so I moved, in search of some Cod. All the time I was there I got no bites on any other bait. Landed a few more Cod, under 50 cms, and decided to call it quits. All fish returned to the water till next time.

I like to analyse things if I can. What I figured was that the river has been getting hammered by all the visitors, most of whom wouldn't use shrimps...they were a welcome change for both the Cod and the Yellowbelly. Also got a Carp and a Turtle on the shrimps. Yabbies are very scarce this year, wish I could find a decent supply. I'm sure the Cod would be feeding on them.

Anyway, a bit of a lengthy drive to fish 15 minutes from home, but well worth the effort as I have NEVER caught Yellowbelly in that section of the river before.

Thanks for reading. No photos as I don't know how to download from the bloody cloud and find my pics to edit them. I will get that issue sorted when my son in law comes over. I can't work this bloody Windows 10.

bn

• Like 7

15 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

you did better than me Neil, I jut spent 3 days at Copeton for 2 swirls on surface lures and 4 catties

A bit disappointing Dave. Like me you're living in your own paradise so bad days are soon forgotten. I'm still keen to head back to Nambucca but it may not be till April. How's the prospects there at that time Dave? Cheers, bn

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Good you can get out on the water. Hope you got your stickers :)

Sure is Donna. Been very ordinary since 2015 but good things come to those who wait. Got the stickers Donna. Thanks for sending them...bn

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Great report Neil especially after the hassle of driving there & back again.

On the pictures, why dont you just plug the phone into your PC via USB & drag the pictures into my pictures?

OR just email the pictures to yourself.

Ah KC, thank you for your suggestions which would no doubt work for 99.9% of the populus. Alas, I am the other 0.1%. Imagine, if you can, a rather stout tree trunk. Imagine standing there and explaining how to use the wonderful WINDOWS 10 to it as it gently sways in the breeze. Computers and me...we just don't get on. bn

7 hours ago, big Neil said:

A bit disappointing Dave. Like me you're living in your own paradise so bad days are soon forgotten. I'm still keen to head back to Nambucca but it may not be till April. How's the prospects there at that time Dave? Cheers, bn

good time to visit, hopefully with the rain we've had the fishing should be great especially for a bass

• Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 8:22 AM, kingie chaser said:

Great report Neil especially after the hassle of driving there & back again.

On the pictures, why dont you just plug the phone into your PC via USB & drag the pictures into my pictures?

OR just email the pictures to yourself.

I have a little camera with a zoom lens KC. It takes reasonable pics and I can load the SD card contents to the PC. That's where the problems start. Windows 10 sends the photos to the Cloud storage. When I try to access them (download) I have no idea where to find them. Occasionally I come across them but am unable to open them with PAINT, which I use to compress the pics. Someone told me that Google Chrome photo storage ACTUALLY compresses them to store in the Cloud. I know there is some process which would enable me to do what I used to do with Windows 8.1...load them onto the PC from the SD card, give the file a name, access it in File Storage, edit the pics, then use the pics for Facebook, Fishraider or email. I know there are lots of other old people who cannot navigate Windows 10 either. It is very frustrating and causes me no end of limitations. Cheers, bn

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

I have a little camera with a zoom lens KC. It takes reasonable pics and I can load the SD card contents to the PC. That's where the problems start. Windows 10 sends the photos to the Cloud storage. When I try to access them (download) I have no idea where to find them. Occasionally I come across them but am unable to open them with PAINT, which I use to compress the pics. Someone told me that Google Chrome photo storage ACTUALLY compresses them to store in the Cloud. I know there is some process which would enable me to do what I used to do with Windows 8.1...load them onto the PC from the SD card, give the file a name, access it in File Storage, edit the pics, then use the pics for Facebook, Fishraider or email. I know there are lots of other old people who cannot navigate Windows 10 either. It is very frustrating and causes me no end of limitations. Cheers, bn

Hi Neil, I have mainly been a windows user & using windows 10 for quit a while now.

I do not use any cloud storage, never have & never will.

Main reason I dont trust my stuff being kept on there both for privacy issues & also the fact its not in my control.

I always have my images either in my PC hard drive or backed up in an external hard drive of mine.

I dont really get why clouds exist really as external storage is so cheap & more secure imo.

If you insert your SD car into your PC you should be able to choose what action you want to take, maybe some how you have inadvertidly told the setting to always send the pictures to cloud??

If thats the case I would stop it.

If you insert any flash drive into your PC's USB(or even if its in your disc drive) you should see the device in your "file explorer" which in the old days used to be called "my computer" from there are several ways to transfer those images from the flash drive(SD card) I just either drag the main file from the flash drive into the picture folder & then rename it or if you open the SD card image file you can hold the control button & right click on each image you want to move which will highlight them then right click & either copy & paste into any folder or create a new folder 

The only reason I ever use paint is if I want to put text, draw lines or put a caption on an image, everything else can be done by using the standard windows picture software including resizing.

If you double click on an image in your picture files it will open the image in the standard W10 picture suite, you will see edits & create, share , the print symbol & there are 3 dots on the top right of the page, click on the 3 dots & you will see resize as an option.

I am more than happy to PM you my phone number & work out a convienient time that suits us both that we can both be sitting in fron of our PC's so I can run through any of this with you to make it easier.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1