Thinking of selling boat

frankS

Hi guys, just thinking of putting my Brooker 14' alloy boat up for sale and want opinions on how much you think it's worth.

I don't want to ask too much for it nor do I want to give it away. It is an old boat and needs a paint job as my health doesn't allow me to do it these days.

I was thinking around the $4000 mark / What are your thoughts ?.

It is registered till December and Trailer registered ( can't remember when its due ) but a couple of months at least. ( I have that many trailers I will have to check ).

20180928_094251fs.thumb.jpg.383e2df500e93664de2ea5b3ee3b1d77.jpg

has 34lb electric motor , lawrance sounder & GPS under cover 30 ltr fuel tank with water separator

20180928_094201fs.thumb.jpg.079ba0f7e6be1acfd25e9945f3b4572e.jpg

Electric motor battery 105 amp hour sits under here

20180928_094513fs.thumb.jpg.e90a8d66475aeff9e6117297c583780a.jpg

Has approx 100ltr bait tank with in and out pumps all plumbed.

20180928_094126fs.thumb.jpg.cb0057d959f72ecf106aae37eafd0355.jpg

Has side rod locker with lower storage for tackle

912310134_rodlocker1.thumb.jpg.506cefb501c628ca346304bb95a08ecf.jpg

Has Canon downrigger, 4 x rod holders, anchor well not pictured here with anchor and heaps of rope .

Has 30hp Mercury 2 stroke on it at the moment but thinking of keeping this motor for later project and replacing it with 30 hp yamaha 2 stroke that the boat came with when I bought it, forward control but no electric tilt.

Will take some better photos later on.

Frank

$4000 seems like a very reasonable price Frank. I know the quality of your workmanship so this is very fair. Hope you get to pass it on to somebody who will get many years od enjoyment from it. Hope you and Val are staying well mate. Cheers, Neil

Nice rig mate.Don't get disheartened with idiots offering you peanuts for it like they always seem to do.If you wait long enough the right buyer will come along offering you a fair price to both parties.

I,'ve been offered 3.5k to 5k for my boat over the years.I've still got it.

4 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Looks good Frank.

Just curious what model sounder & electric motor is it??

Good luck with it :thumbup:

Sounder is Lowrance elete 5 colour , electric motor is Motorguide with the foot control ( no remote ) and sorry GPS is not Lowrance it's a Navman Tracker 5505 with inbuilt antenna. so you can transfer it from boat to boat and don't have to worry about antennas.

I had 3 boats when I bought this unit.

Frank

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

$4000 seems like a very reasonable price Frank. I know the quality of your workmanship so this is very fair. Hope you get to pass it on to somebody who will get many years od enjoyment from it. Hope you and Val are staying well mate. Cheers, Neil

Neil. This boat will not suit everyone the things I have modified and built into it was done to suit me and my style of fishing, the only thing I haven't done that I intended to do is convert it to side console, so it's just the every day forward controls. And of coarse Paint it.

Won't suit everyone but I hope it will suit someone, it pretty well has everything in/on it that a fisherman could ask for just the placement etc might not be to everyone's liking.

Val is strong as an OX and I am as well as can be expected.

Frank

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fab1 said:

Nice rig mate.Don't get disheartened with idiots offering you peanuts for it like they always seem to do.If you wait long enough the right buyer will come along offering you a fair price to both parties.

I,'ve been offered 3.5k to 5k for my boat over the years.I've still got it.

Fab1. I have during my lifetime sold many, many boats, cars and thousands of other items, used to make a living from buying and selling.

I mainly put this on here so other members can have a look and maybe one might happen to make an offer.

Not real sure IF I am really going to sell it just yet, and that is why I didn't put it in the sell and swap section here.

Mainly want members opinions of what they think it could be worth.

I will expect lowball offers IF I do decide to sell, I am used to that and know how to handle the situation. And don't get insulted by low offers.

Frank

• Like 1

gday frank, I would be interested in your boat, if you decide to sell it.

I have been passively looking for my first boat for awhile now. I have been on a kayak for the last couple years, and feel its time to get the move ability, speed and the connivance of taking a mate out.

You've put some serious time with the craftsman ship in the boat too, quite the setup for a tinny.
Out of curiosity, how durable is the ply flooring? 

23 hours ago, Restyle said:

gday frank, I would be interested in your boat, if you decide to sell it.

I have been passively looking for my first boat for awhile now. I have been on a kayak for the last couple years, and feel its time to get the move ability, speed and the connivance of taking a mate out.

You've put some serious time with the craftsman ship in the boat too, quite the setup for a tinny.
Out of curiosity, how durable is the ply flooring? 

The flooring is very solid and should last quiet a few years.

I didn't take any photos when I was building the floor but the under structure is much like a previous boat I built up.

I first lay out alloy tubing and angle and pop rivet it all together. I then fit it to boat and make sure it fits, then weld all the alloy together. So it ends up as a super structure.

1422622247_bassfloorbracing1.thumb.gif.326a57ba149ed8ccfbc529764615b0f8.gif

1240211170_bassfloorbracing2.thumb.gif.9cf16e0d1ce8faca4d79b59d6759a073.gif

Then I glass the plywood with fiberglass resin and fit, then lay carpet.

this boat had a 7' x6' casting deck at front and also a large cast deck at rear.

1687297346_bassboat2.thumb.jpg.474a20e4e0c5f31cf7e0f83041fdbbe2.jpg

Frank

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, frankS said:

The flooring is very solid and should last quiet a few years.

I didn't take any photos when I was building the floor but the under structure is much like a previous boat I built up.

I first lay out alloy tubing and angle and pop rivet it all together. I then fit it to boat and make sure it fits, then weld all the alloy together. So it ends up as a super structure.

1422622247_bassfloorbracing1.thumb.gif.326a57ba149ed8ccfbc529764615b0f8.gif

1240211170_bassfloorbracing2.thumb.gif.9cf16e0d1ce8faca4d79b59d6759a073.gif

Then I glass the plywood with fiberglass resin and fit, then lay carpet.

this boat had a 7' x6' casting deck at front and also a large cast deck at rear.

1687297346_bassboat2.thumb.jpg.474a20e4e0c5f31cf7e0f83041fdbbe2.jpg

Frank

looks solid, perks of owning a welder.

Even when the timber dose eventually go, it shouldn't be a hard fix to swap around anyway. 

can easily see you take your time and pride yourself in the work you do! 

After looking online at the prices of boats around my size  and aluminium I think I will be hanging onto mine for a while.

Boats the same size with tiller steer and no added features and they are wanting $5-7000 for them. No way I would dare ask that much for mine even though it has all the accessories any fisho would ask for.

I will try and finish the project and get some use out of it, 4 ltrs of paint stripper will take the awful looking paint off it , then I might pay someone to buff it for me and make it look all shiny.

Still need to finish the carpet on the rod locker and tidy up the dash and control panels.

Probably won't get done, but just can't bring myself to sell it just yet.

Frank

1 hour ago, frankS said:

After looking online at the prices of boats around my size  and aluminium I think I will be hanging onto mine for a while.

Boats the same size with tiller steer and no added features and they are wanting $5-7000 for them. No way I would dare ask that much for mine even though it has all the accessories any fisho would ask for.

I will try and finish the project and get some use out of it, 4 ltrs of paint stripper will take the awful looking paint off it , then I might pay someone to buff it for me and make it look all shiny.

Still need to finish the carpet on the rod locker and tidy up the dash and control panels.

Probably won't get done, but just can't bring myself to sell it just yet.

Frank

Good move keeping it instead of giving it away.

1 hour ago, motiondave said:

might as well hang on to it, unless you desperately need the quid or room. Yes, a bit of a tidy up goes a long way.

second hand boats are WAAAAAY overpriced thanks to covid at the moment, and selling or buying is a gamble. 

mate of mine has his savage bowrider up for sale again,before covid, he wanted $22K and go a few enquiries, hes again advertised it, first at $21k and got nothing but lowball figures of 12 to 15. So he readvertised it for $29K, and strangely enough, more serious buyers answered and the current offer for him is $25K.

with yours, you could advertise it for $6000, but put in the add comments like " lowball offers will be ignored" , do not send "is it available" unless you are actually interested in looking at this. It tends to weed out the bucketheads, some still comment or reply, but I have found, you need to be stern about the item for sale. I did that with my mini boat, granted it only went for $1000, but once I put stern words in the ad, I stopped getting $400 and $500 or comments like " I will message you monday to buy it for $600 as no one else will buy it for over $1000"
Yep, whatever, get lost. I really dont have time to muck around.

Same thing when selling the cars, I put the foot down, so to speak, in the ad. 

I thrive on leading those clowns on and have led them on wild goose chases many times giving them false days,times,and places to meet with my real mobile number.

2 hours ago, motiondave said:

And.....people like you are just like I've dealt with,  so many times. 

You know who is genuine and who isn't.If I have something up for sale for $400 and they offer $100.They are clowns and will get to come for a drive to my wrong address.Its that simple mate.

Guess what? I've sold my fair share of things over the years and the ones that have come to have a look that offered a reasonable price which I agreed to accept.....did buy the item.

When I was selling brand new game boat rods due to changed plans - low ballers were annoying, persistent and sometimes rude.  However when I was selling my cars - low ball offers were usually made with very polite and professional voices - I guess dealers also joined the "circus".

1 hour ago, savit said:

When I was selling brand new game boat rods due to changed plans - low ballers were annoying, persistent and sometimes rude.  However when I was selling my cars - low ball offers were usually made with very polite and professional voices - I guess dealers also joined the "circus".

Dealers are vultures in disguise mate most of them.They frequent the classifieds,eBay,gum tree,etc don't you worry.

40 minutes ago, motiondave said:

when selling cars, I had a few dealers phone me to offer ridiculous offers, but they did at least say whom they are, and that its a wholesale price, so honesty was at least mentioned, they still got told no, not selling at wholesale. Almost had one dealer bloke though, he was super keen but would not go the extra $200 to get to my wanted sale price.

Like you said.They were honest.I don't know why he didn't give you the extra $200 as they sell cars for way more than they pay for them. 

54 minutes ago, motiondave said:

when selling cars, I had a few dealers phone me to offer ridiculous offers, but they did at least say whom they are, and that its a wholesale price, so honesty was at least mentioned, they still got told no, not selling at wholesale. Almost had one dealer bloke though, he was super keen but would not go the extra $200 to get to my wanted sale price.

And by wholesale - they meant an auction price of the untested vehicles in as-is condition ?

Not all dealers are shonks. They have a business to run and are in that business to make money, they have tremendous overheads and sometimes have staff that always want better wages and conditions.

You probably won't believe this but to have a person on the books on full employment almost costs twice the persons wages. Think about it , wages , super, annual leave, public holidays, sick leave, and then there is the insurance, don't start on me with employer insurance, it goes on forever. And all these costs have to be made each week weather cars ( and other things ) are sold or not, then when they make a sale they expect a bonus.

With lowballers I just politely say no thanks but thanks for your offer. 

Frank

Edited by frankS
added text

35 minutes ago, motiondave said:

exactly, and I worked in used car industry for a while years back, if people really bugged us about negotiations, we would sit them down, open the books and say "thats what we paid, thats what we have to make, thats what we are selling it for", 9 times out of 10, they shut up and paid up, or left.

I know wholesale price is at least half what you see on the window at a yard.

I know a bloke that is a classic lowballer, and he does get good deals, but gets hated by a lot of people as he turns around and straight away advertises it for a massive profit.
I dont mind giving a lower price, but I refuse to be led on or hassled into a better deal because they think they deserve a great deal.

It's not your low ballers mate fault.The idiots that give him the car for peanuts deserve what they get and it's this that some dealers/low ballers rely upon as their will always be gullible people out there.

Personally I don't like it and would/do pay for a item what is a fair price to both parties as I strongly believe it's the right thing to do.

Offering 2k for a 5k boat for instance is just plain insulting to the seller not to mention time wasting.

I've been offered up to 5k or so over the years for my tinny which is basically almost in New condition.Surely it's worth a little more than that.

Edited by Fab1

Like you Ive been considering selling the boat and the over pricing in these current times certainly makes it more attractive. I saw a 2014 rig the same as mine for sale on Gumtree $8000 more than what they were new according to boating magazines and after a few days of it being on it sold!!!!

I decided to put mine on but after three hours of being on gumtree I decided to pause the add. The pause was both down to the overwhelming amount of stupid questions from people and the fact Im not sure I want to be boatless.

Im not sure if people were simply in so much of a rush they don't read the add but every question I got was already written in the description, besides that the manufacturer posts it on their site.

Ive lost my little fishing buddy now my daughter skippers charter boats and also bought her own boat. Its also wearing thin taking people out who use my gear, lose my lures and jigs and walk away at the end of the day with half the fish they didn't even catch and not so much as an offer towards fuel or bait etc. I feel the friendly boating spirit around the ramp has mostly gone these days and people are far more greedy and pushy, only thinking of themselves. 

Ive seen elderly people struggling at the ramp with their boats and people just sitting back laughing when they've forgotten to remove a trailer strap, Im always the one lending a hand. An elderly lady with what I assume was her grand daughter was looking up at a pelican on a street light when she fell of the kerb. I was about 50m away and could literally see people look away, where I was the first to offer help even with people walking around her. Im not sure if its my age but Im finding it hard to be around many of these ramp rats these day.

• Like 2

Jon. I hear what you you say mate, maybe it is our age and times but I see it often when the younger generations simply have forgotten OR never learnt the basics of respect for the elderly. In saying that there are many many caring younger folk about but unfortunately the rudeness of the younger generations are overpowering the good.

I am in two minds about selling the boat. On the one hand it's simply not being used and I am getting too old now to even bother thinking about a fishing trip, on the other hand I keep hoping that some younger fitter person will introduce themselves to me and take me fishing in my own boat.

I can drive the boat to the ramp back down and launch boat but coming back in I am finding it harder and harder each time to walk from water back up the ramp into the car park to retrieve the boat, it just takes too much out of me.

Anyhow enough of my complaining. I just hope when/if this covid thing gains some favor we can all get back to some sort of normal life and go fishing.

Frank

• Like 3

The problem is it's only going to get worse mate as the population,boats on water  and idiots increase.There's idiots everywhere you look not just on the water.

Those people you take fishing are bludgers mate.They would have got the boot after the first trip on my boat. I don't understand why so many of you put up with that kind of person.Sorry to hear your daughter has gone her own way and left poor old dad abandoned.My son is 26 and prefers to do everything with me than hang with his friends etc.At this rate I don't know if he will ever leave.

Edited by Fab1
  • Like 2

Hi Frank s while I don't know you're age and circumstances I hate the thought of having to to give boating away.im mid 50s  and still fine but working in construction over 30 years is taking it's toll I do realise later I will have to go to a smaller lighter boat but I still like my little Yalta 1600 with a twin 40 setup eventually will have to go a tinny for estuarie only but if I can get out I'll be happy. At least you can go midweek lucky bugger

• Like 1