Monster Sydney Mangrove Jack!!! NOW WITH VIDEO

Ragnar

So this happened last night... I went out to flick some hard bodies for jews, nothing too exciting was happening, I was just settling into the relentless grind that is jews on hard bodies, cast after cast after cast, twitch, twitch pause, twitch twitch pause, then bang my clackin minnow got absolutely belted. First thing that came to mind was yes finally a Jew on hard body, it took a decent first run, then it started going sideways heading for structure, that’s when I knew this wasn’t a Jew. I was racking my brain, what the hell was this thing that hit me so hard mid water. Couldn’t be a flathead, maybe it was a Dino bream, maybe it was a big chopper. As I started to gain some line on it, the harder it fought, I could feel my 30lb leader rubbing on the oyster covered rocks. I put a few extra clicks on my drag and after a few tense moment I managed to steer it away from danger. I finally got it within the reach of my net, but every time I tried to steer it in it kicked away splashing me in the process. After 3 attempts to net it I said stuff it and turned on my head torch so I could see what the hell I was doing. I was hesitant to do this as I wanted to keep fishing this spot after. With my torch now on I steered the fish up towards my net and caught a glimpse of the last thing a lot of bait fish see, the red flash of a mangrove jack...no f’n way were the first words that left my mouth. No f’n way! As I guided it into my net I let out a scream similar to that of a high school girl at a boy band concert! I couldn’t believe what I had just caught! Now my next problem was I now had a big angry mangrove jack in my net but I didn’t have any lip grips and there was no way I was going to put my hand anywhere within range of his mouth. After a few hesitations and attempted bites from the red devil I managed to pull the lure from its mouth and whacked it on the lie detector. 50cm on the dot. I took a moment and stood back and just admired the fish. Mangrove jacks have to be one of the coolest looking fish. I got it back in the net and swam it for a couple of minutes until it was strong enough to go. I slipped the net away from it and watched as it swam off into the murky depths. When I picked up my lure and leader to assess the damage I realised how lucky was to land this fish. Straighten hooks, chaffed leader which somehow now had a knot in it. I definitely had help from the fishing gods with this one. Much to the dismay of my wife, I will now have to buy a replacement lure as that one will be going on the wall and will never see water again. 

Can someone please tell me how I can post a couple of short videos I have of this thing! I try to attach them and it says they’re too big. They’re only 17 and 28 seconds long, surely they’re not too big!

10593617-7B35-4A4C-9523-C24FC7E50AF3.jpeg

Edited by mrsswordfisherman
Videos added
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

OMG Ragnar you are a Legend now. Thats a fish of a lifetime there - way better than Jew I reckon. A huge congratulations from us. I bet the Member for Nambucca Heads will be more than a little envious (like me). Well done. Cannot help with video but would love to see it. Thanks Hoods

That's so awesome. Great report, exciting. I didn't realise we had Jacks in Sydney. What waterway were you fishing?

Can't wait to see the vids. As motiondave suggested, upload to youtube and provide links here. You can prob just do the stitching on your phone using video editor. 

1 hour ago, Ragnar said:

Can someone please tell me how I can post a couple of short videos I have of this thing!

Pasting a Youtube link  is what I have used previously,  but have you tried pasting the instagram link here?  Should work the same.

BTW, great read .. looking forward to the video or pictures !

Cheers Zoran

Wow now that's a story. Cant wait for the video. Congrats on the capture (50cm is a big red devil) and more for the release!

I've caught a few average sized ones in Weipa but that's a cracker. There's been whispered stories over the years of them being in Queensie lagoon but I've never seen this verified, so great to hear there is at least one in Sydney 😲.

Well done

Fil

• Like 1

• mrsswordfisherman changed the title to Monster Sydney Mangrove Jack!!! NOW WITH VIDEO

That is fantastic. I have only ever cought 2 jacks, up in a little creek north of Coffs Harbor , they were both around 30cm and they put up a great fight.

You have a story that you can tell to your grandkids with great pride.

Frank

• Like 1