Repurposing Old Life Jackets

zmk1962

So further to the discussion in Donna's post on New Australian Standards coming into force for Lifejackets, and what to do with the older non-compliant jackets.

I mentioned in that post "I plan to semi-permanently mount them out of the way up high underneath the back transom above the battery boxes. I have 4 rod holders poking into that area, onto which I will securely fasten ss o-rings with hose clamps. Then I will string rope between the rod holders to create a suspended platform onto which I'll secure the expired lifejackets. Voila, additional   (8 x 87nm) 696 nm hull buoyancy should barrycuda get swamped!"

Here's the progress shots and end result.

image.png.7cf7f4f9d018236d329cd956c57a8f6e.png

image.png.c9bae946ad8d175a6ebd041b7ad0e64c.png

image.png.ddc41f7f3b819bb2be3b0da7a6fe78b8.png

image.png.65b60ff1f48b7d04e9893760e2d856d4.png

Job done and they are more useful there than as landfill.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 5

Zoran. Be careful using hose clamps, even so called Stainless Steel ones are sometime have mild steel screws in them, when you go to buy them take a small magnet with you, keeping in mind some forms of Stainless still attract to magnet.

I would be using cable ties instead.

Frank

Sorry didn't read through your article before jumping in with a comment, I see the project has already been done.

Edited by frankS
added text

32 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Good job mate. Hope you took out a second mortgage for the 8 replacements. 

yeah, gets a bit like that, but it wasn't anywhere near BOAT cost ( Bring On Another Thousand ) .... safety is paramount for me ... I also went for the fitted foam filled type, given they last well over 10yrs and I have storage space on the boat.  It's probs the least expensive boat investment.

Honestly to get compliant is not that expensive,  at present the 3 letter store beginning with boating has the yellow foam filled block type priced at 2 for $30. I chucked 4 of those into the under bunk storage - that covers 4 adults of any size if required (and if not used its additional hull floatation 🤣)

To get compliant and comfortable, is a bit more pricey but not that much. The other 3 letter store beginning with road, had these for $59.99. But these need to be fitted so I ended up with 2 Small, 2 Medium, 2 Large for my family....

That fitted plus the yellow brick ones  covers every combination of crew I could think of.  

image.png.127eab1609f0b519354faebfb85ee827.png

Cheers Zoran

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

yeah, gets a bit like that, but it wasn't anywhere near BOAT cost ( Bring On Another Thousand ) .... safety is paramount for me ... I also went for the fitted foam filled type, given they last well over 10yrs and I have storage space on the boat.  It's probs the least expensive boat investment.

Honestly to get compliant is not that expensive,  at present the 3 letter store beginning with boating has the yellow foam filled block type priced at 2 for $30. I chucked 4 of those into the under bunk storage - that covers 4 adults of any size if required (and if not used its additional hull floatation 🤣)

To get compliant and comfortable, is a bit more pricey but not that much. The other 3 letter store beginning with road, had these for $59.99. But these need to be fitted so I ended up with 2 Small, 2 Medium, 2 Large for my family....

That fitted plus the yellow brick ones  covers every combination of crew I could think of.  

image.png.127eab1609f0b519354faebfb85ee827.png

Cheers Zoran

I agree mate.You can't skimp on that.

FYI all, you dont need to buy new jackets as long as they comply with AS 4758 & if they are self or Auto inflating then they are serviced correctly as per manifacturers service instructions.

The AS 4758 standard is not new, just the compliance date & most jackets sold after 2010 probably comply but yeh you need to check your jackets to make sure they comply.

The message is be prepared to be checked which no one should have an issue with.

Just pointing that out.

Nice work Zoran, extra boat bouyancy wont hurt if something goes wrong when your a long way from home.

Even in my 1969 Quintrex tinny all 3 seats are foam filled from the factory so they were thinking ahead there even back then 😉

• Like 1