MySafetyCell aka Lifecell

zmk1962

Hey Raiders,

So after reading @Scratchie's Port Stephens - Raiders to the Rescue post, it really got me thinking about my safety gear. 

Although I had all the safety gear onboard, it was located in the cabin and in three separate containers, also the EPIRB was fitted to the hull in the cockpit, so that was 4 things that needed to be grabbed, in addition to the lifejackets and anything else we may need if we had to abandon ship.  The Lifecell solution (that Donna @mrsswordfisherman posted)  certainly had a lot of appeal... but all it provided over what I had was the simplicity of 1 thing to snatch and jump.

So, here's what I have come up with for barrycuda -  MySafetyCell :

All the existing containers and EPIRB connected together with PVC molding (angle and strip) with  ss pop rivets and spliced rope. The container lids cannot be lost as they have lanyards fitted.

image.png.92707b5a66541e9bcfd7aa0d4c5fcbe4.png

image.png.fdb63dc8c63218f13f5b23f69c53b8fa.png

image.png.ffb56aab13c1caf5555a825e185b6bf1.png

Containers provide floatation and hold the flares and glove. The safety bag has the LED torch, mirror, air horn, whistles, V-sheet, I've added a safety knife and some rope with plastic snap hooks so the safety cell can be attached to us or the esky.... etc etc. 

image.png.614c2edaf0c56a1208eaad507d73b4eb.png

MySafetyCell now lives in the cockpit next to the passenger seat. It now provides the simplicity of 1 thing to snatch and jump - all safety gear in one place.

image.png.d436123c2a5db4bc6d53c826a472181a.png

BTW, we have now decided we will be wearing our life jackets while travelling out wide and back, but will have them draped over the seat rests when fishing.... and just like the Port Stephens chaps, we do have a large esky (almost big enough for Maria to sail) ...that was always part of our abandon ship safety gear.

image.png.6b62cb819674340a88da393deb7995d6.png

Hope this gives other raiders some ideas.

Cheers Zoran

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

What a fantastic idea mate!!!! I Like it.My safety kit is giving the mrs a swift kick up the backside sending her overboard and the boy and I jumping on her back pulling her ears so she kicks swimming us to shore.😂🤣😂 Ps.Hope she's not reading this or I'm sleeping out with the dogs for a week or too.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

That’s awesome Zoran. 
I too have spent the week looking at my safety gear. I’ve just installed a new VHF radio, got together all my flares, epirb etc and about to purchase myself a grab bag before my next trip! 
I also been fortunate enough to be contacted by the owner of Dometic, and will receive free products and the famous floating esky free of charge. 
I always wear a life jacket as I’m not a strong swimmer but do remove it for the occasional photo 😉

I hope all you raiders go and have a look at your safety gear because you never know when you’ll need it and you want it in good working order when you do! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Fab1 said:

What a fantastic idea mate!!!! I Like it.My safety kit is giving the mrs a swift kick up the backside sending her overboard and the boy and I jumping on her back pulling her ears so she kicks swimming us to shore.😂🤣😂 Ps.Hope she's not reading this or I'm sleeping out with the dogs for a week or too.

Mate after that I’m not sure if even the dogs will have you 🤣!

The rescue really got me thinking too. It has been on my mind for a quite a while. This week has just been soaked up with getting back to work unfortunately. 

My gear except the EPIRB is in the front of the bowrider under the casting platform,  in the front I usually have my large esky and often an tub with a reef pick, 200m of rope and float. It is a checked and sorted but isn't at hand.  That does make me wonder if the rescued guys may of run over their anchor rope. 

The one message that is loud and clear from most rescued people is the speed it all happened.  So thanks Zoran for posting your changes. 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 9:56 AM, grantos said:

Love your work there and a great idea. 

I am fortunate enough to have a lifecell and could not speak more highly of them - if you have the means you cant go wrong.

Thanks Grantos. This was not meant to take anything away from the elegant Lifecell solution. Hat's off to the developers for the foresight to provide a consolidated safety container. I can see why many new boat packages are coming standard with it especially on rigs where space is limited.

However, If you already have all the actual safety gear (flares, V-sheet, etc) like many of us have, the Lifecell is an elegant $345 vacuum formed plastic container. Perhaps as all my safety gear reaches end of life and needs replacement I will reconsider. But by then there will also be Lifecell2.0 and alternatives suppliers for sure.

Cheers Zoran

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 1