Bass Fishing

marks1984

Afternoon all,

hope we all had a great Australia day yesterday!!! I have been fishing a dam recently chasing Bass, mainly late afternoon and at night, now when it comes to night fishing should I be using a dark coloured lure or a clear colour? should I take inconsideration if there is cloud cover or a clear night? 

Thanks in advance

23 minutes ago, frankS said:

Best all round ( after dark ) Bass lure in my opinion is a black cicada . Up on Lake StClair at dusk and shortly after they are dynamite.

Frank

sweet Frank thanks for that is that because alot of splashing and vibration on the surface?

+1 for the cicada poppers, a great choice for bass.

If they aren't hitting the lures off the surface I usually switch over to long tailed soft plastic and slow work it along the bottom (bottom permitting) or a spinnerbait.

For bass I try to match the colour of the lure to the conditions, light colours when its bright and sunny and dark colours when its dark/overcast.

Have fun!

Edited by SquibblyDibbly
  • Like 1

Yep black cicada all day long.

At night though, I find the bass like a little more of a racket so a black micro pompadour is what you want to throw. Has a rattle, prop on the rear and metal wings, nice and noisy but still represents a fat cicada or frog on the surface.

I also throw one of these when the water is dirty after rain, with low water clarity the bass seem to be able to hone in on the noise and vibrations it makes.

It’s a pretty heavy lure too, so if you’re shore based you should find it easier to make long casts.

Warning though, they aren’t cheap.

Edited by lastworm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lastworm said:

At night though, I find the bass like a little more of a racket so a black micro pompadour is what you want to throw. Has a rattle, prop on the rear and metal wings, nice and noisy but still represents a fat cicada or frog on the surface.

I also throw one of these when the water is dirty after rain, with low water clarity the bass seem to be able to hone in on the noise and vibrations it makes.

It’s a pretty heavy lure too, so if you’re shore based you should find it easier to make long casts.

Thanks mate I have to look up a black micro pompadour is thanks 

2 hours ago, SquibblyDibbly said:

+1 for the cicada poppers, a great choice for bass.

If they aren't hitting the lures off the surface I usually switch over to long tailed soft plastic and slow work it along the bottom (bottom permitting) or a spinnerbait.

For bass I try to match the colour of the lure to the conditions, light colours when its bright and sunny and dark colours when its dark/overcast.

Have fun!

Thanks mate I have used a cicada a few times with no luck

16 hours ago, lastworm said:

Besides having a metal wings and a spinner blade at the rear trebles what are the main differnces between a iemco Soft Shell Cicada lure and a micro pompadour

The soft shell cicada is a foam type lure with rubber wings and lands more naturally like a cicada would. It’s more of a finesse presentation and lands with a light “plop” on the surface. They work well when the fish are a bit shy because they are just so realistic, and when you’re fishing clear water the bass don’t shy away from them as much. Really though, they work all of the time, basically a fool proof surface lure.

The pompadour is larger and fatter, has a harder plastic body and metal wings and prop. So it’s a louder more erratic presentation. Makes a lot more commotion, still represents a cicada but is more suited to when the bass need to be woken up a bit or you’re going for a reaction bite.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, lastworm said:

The soft shell cicada is a foam type lure with rubber wings and lands more naturally like a cicada would. It’s more of a finesse presentation and lands with a light “plop” on the surface. They work well when the fish are a bit shy because they are just so realistic, and when you’re fishing clear water the bass don’t shy away from them as much. Really though, they work all of the time, basically a fool proof surface lure.

The pompadour is larger and fatter, has a harder plastic body and metal wings and prop. So it’s a louder more erratic presentation. Makes a lot more commotion, still represents a cicada but is more suited to when the bass need to be woken up a bit or you’re going for a reaction bite.

Sweet thanks for that 🤘🤘