DIY portable live bait tank cost $46

Guest Guest123456789

7 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

That will do it @Fab1

The hole - they might swim out as easily as they swim in. You can cut a big cross then push the sides in so the flaps create a bit of a tunnel (kind of a non return valve). That plastic might not be suitable - a clear 2 litre juice bottle works well. 

Updated the trap mate.I knew there was a reason I keep so much crap in my shed.

20210130_104132.jpg

20210130_104159.jpg

• Like 1

Guest Guest123456789
1 hour ago, Fab1 said:

20210130_104132.jpg

20210130_104159.jpg

Rock solid Fab great job 👍 

Guest Guest123456789
3 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Hey Luke,

I see you have wood working skills as well. I was thinking you could knock up a plywood base to raise the bait tank so that you could plumb a large hose that goes straight over the side (put mesh or plastic grill over the hose outlet at the tank so the livies don't get jammed there) You could then change the water simply by pouring in fresh water with a bucket  - the excess would flow over the side. You would not have to worry about lifting out a basket or net. The raised plywood base would also give you extra room underneath the tank for your feet.

Something like this quick sketch.

image.png.c7bf84d67c54ad9aed0d7b8c244371a0.png

Cheers Zoran

Thanks for the tip and nice drawing! Suzuki logo is awesome. I don’t think I’ll need to change water that often.

4 hours ago, Fab1 said:

20210130_104132.jpg

20210130_104159.jpg

Looks good to me.   I havent used mine for ages but i drilled plenty of small holes in the bottom and side and  siliconed some rolled up sheet lead in the bottom as well. 

Mine has a similar hole in the top but without your new piece ( i think thats a good plan though).  I have gal bird mesh stuck under the lid.  I put a slice of bread between the mesh and the underside of the lid with a tiny hole in it.   They pick around it for a bit but once one goes through his mates follow.   If I have a second go I leave one on there.  

Don’t forget you need your fishing licence details on there. 

4 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Thanks for the tip and nice drawing! Suzuki logo is awesome. I don’t think I’ll need to change water that often.

Hahaha ... yes took a few practice goes on the logo - folks get sensitive if you stuff that up!

Re Water change frequency - you'd be surprised ... esp if you start keeping live squid.

Apart from physical injuries - 3 things speed up a livies demise:

1. lack of oxygen

2. temperature shock (water too hot, or being dunked in water thats a few degrees off what they have become used to)

3. stale water. Livies spew up bait, bleed, squid squirt ink ... stale water goes off quick.

A regular supply of fresh water solves all the above.

Cheers Zoran

PS - oh forgot the 4th thing...a hungry predator ... 

Edited by zmk1962

Guest Guest123456789

Well I am pleased to report the live bait tank was a great success :banana:

I filled it up with 5 yakkas and before l set off I tipped the whole thing out into my net, refilled it with fresh then chucked the bait back in. 15 litres is the perfect size not too heavy to lift when full of water and left me enough space to fish and stand up near the transom. And the aerator bolted on did not move, leak or miss a beat. Really nice and quiet.

03A20961-1065-4157-911A-D86EF5FAB687.thumb.jpeg.03e898addd1fbb12c9e43ca1e10f0f67.jpeg

Throughout the day every couple of hours I bailed out two scoops of water and replaced it.

The bait were all really lively when I used them. I think the shape of the tank plus the insulation and lack of light made them relax and not require too much oxygen.

Here is a specimen I managed on a live yakka.

4CC6BC0C-A6AF-4EC7-B999-7941EFD69448.thumb.jpeg.993e85d6d83e8a047904b665bf3781ee.jpeg

thanks @noelm @Fab1 @zmk1962 @Welster @motiondave for your assistance.

3 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

I filled it up with 5 yakkas and before l set off I tipped the whole thing out into my net, refilled it with fresh then chucked the bait back in. 15 litres is the perfect size not too heavy to lift when full of water and left me enough space to fish and stand up near the transom. And the aerator bolted on did not move, leak or miss a beat. Really nice and quiet.

03A20961-1065-4157-911A-D86EF5FAB687.thumb.jpeg.03e898addd1fbb12c9e43ca1e10f0f67.jpeg

Throughout the day every couple of hours I bailed out two scoops of water and replaced it.

The bait were all really lively when I used them. I think the shape of the tank plus the insulation and lack of light made them relax and not require too much oxygen.

4CC6BC0C-A6AF-4EC7-B999-7941EFD69448.thumb.jpeg.993e85d6d83e8a047904b665bf3781ee.jpeg

Great to hear it was a success mate! Nice couple of fillets in that flatty too.👍

Guest Guest123456789

@Fab1 Brisbane Waters. I missed the high tide change and got out at midday but at least the rain stayed away and it came out sunny. No wind either. Heaps of undersize fish about. I did a good job of fattening up @Scratchie squire snappers with lots of yabbies. Released a a small legal blue swimmer crab. Couldn’t raise a slab of silver (I forgot the bread and couldn’t catch any mullet - next time). I managed some perfect bait sized tailor but they weren’t legal so I begrudgingly let them go :ranting2: 

Caught a barely legal flathead on a soft plastic that I released before I caught the big girl. I kept it as one of her gills got nicked unfortunately.

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo

24 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

@Fab1 Brisbane Waters. I missed the high tide change and got out at midday but at least the rain stayed away and it came out sunny. No wind either. Heaps of undersize fish about. I did a good job of fattening up @Scratchie squire snappers with lots of yabbies. Released a a small legal blue swimmer crab. Couldn’t raise a slab of silver (I forgot the bread and couldn’t catch any mullet - next time). I managed some perfect bait sized tailor but they weren’t legal so I begrudgingly let them go :ranting2: 

Caught a barely legal flathead on a soft plastic that I released before I caught the big girl. I kept it as one of her gills got nicked unfortunately.

At least you  got out and caught something.

37 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

Thanks for fattening them up! I could do with a few decent snapper! Haha 😂 

1 hour ago, flatheadluke said:

Well thats a cracking way to christen the new tank.  Well done.