Bird watching

frankS

My backyard is a bird paradise , many different species are regular visitors and it's really comforting to sit under the gazebo and watch listen to all the different species of bird that visit us. Among the more common ones is Sulphur crested cockatoos ( dozens of them ) Gullahs, Corellas , short and long beak , Rozella's ,  Lorikeet's, Top notch pigeon's , Noisy Minors. We have on the odd occasion been visited by red tail and yellow tail black cockatoo's .

We don't get Starlings here as we get the minors , and we don't get Sparrows for some reason.

The strangest bird that visits is the common Coocoo , he comes for short periods every year and is the only bird that likes our Kurri tree.  He/she is great to watch as it is a very clumsy bird that sort of falls through the Kurri tree when he lands.  He comes when the Kurri beads ( for want of better word ) start to go black.

This old fella used to be a regular and all the cockatoos love Arrowroot biscuits

• Like 6

The Minor birds killed off the Starlings and Sparrows, hate Minor birds, and not particularly fond of those heap of White Cockies either, noisy things, chew everything to bits, shredded the upholstery in the old boat, ate all my neighbours Cedar windows, chew every flower or twig off trees. Other birds, no problem, got a couple of PeeWees that come in the house, walk around a bit, then back out, they get cranky if the screen doors shut!

Having trouble with photos. We have a couple of resident Kookaburras that are all but tame enough to be hand fed.

The Cockatoos can be a problem with eating the house but the guys we have here are pretty good and just come and get their Arrowroot then fly away.

Frank

We had a beautiful Kingfisher used to sit under our pergola all the time, but he/she just vanished one day and never returned, and a Blue Crane that has become sort of friendly, you can walk past it quite close, and he just looks at you, but, if you stop, he flies off.

2 hours ago, SquibblyDibbly said:

The black cockies are beautiful birds but those cuckoos are evil. Do the other birds harass the cuckoos?

The minors Hassell him a bit but then they hassell everything , including the cats.

I have the noisy minors not the imported type.

Frank

6 minutes ago, frankS said:

The minors Hassell him a bit but then they hassell everything , including the cats.

I have the noisy minors not the imported type.

Frank

Go the noisy minors. I swear many birds know full well what the cuckoos are up to. The other day I watched a pair of curawongs harassing a cuckoo that was interested in their nest. The battle went on and off all day long.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, noelm said:

The Minor birds killed off the Starlings and Sparrows, hate Minor birds, and not particularly fond of those heap of shit White Cockies either, noisy things, chew everything to bits, shredded the upholstery in the old boat, ate all my neighbours Cedar windows, chew every flower or twig off trees. Other birds, no problem, got a couple of PeeWees that come in the house, walk around a bit, then back out, they get cranky if the screen doors shut!

Noel. They have a bad reputation for eating things they shouldn't. Funny thing about the minors and the Starlin's I have Minors and no Starlings but 2 streets away at a mates place he has Starlings but no Minors, they sort of keep to their own territory.

Frank

• Like 1

The sneaky Minors destroy the eggs in other birds nests, that's how they take over, I have a Willy Wagtail that nests every year in my backyard, and they have a hell of a job guarding the nest from Minors. Willy Wagtails build the neatest nest, you would think they had tools! They get damn cranky though when nesting, they are OK with me, but strangers, they go nuts. Got a few Blue Wrens that appear from time to time, love those little birds.

Here in Eastwood we also get the run of the mill birds, Australian Minors, Magies, Kookaburras and the parrots.

Sulfur Crested destroy all the Fruit on the Lemon Tree if I don't net it, buggar's only chew through the fruit and eat the seeds 🤨.

We have a Crab Apple at the back and the King and Crimson Parrots love them, usually coming late in the afternoon.

One of the strangest Birds I've observed around here is a Pacificas Buza, we also rescued one with a bung wing and it went to I think the Wires Raptor people. (Mate organised it)

The poor Cocky in the clip looks like it has Beak and Feather disease that's seems part of nature. Pretty sad wnen you see one like that.

Certainly see those Parasitic Bird,  Koels and Channel-billed Cuckoo fly over but not hang around our very local area for some reason.

That other Photo of @frankS looks more like a Juvenile Channel-billed Cockoo, I could be wrong.

Its pretty funny seeing the poor parent of some other species trying to feed the baby that's bigger. Looks like baby Huey in the old cartoon.

Also I've seen the Spoonbill down at Muddy Creek at Kyeemah, though not sure if its a Royal or Yellow-Billed.

Great thread Frank.

Edited by Blackfish

A couple of weeks ago I watched a baby Channel Billed Cuckoo being fed by a pair of Currawongs, it really kept them busy just wouldn't shut up. Luckily there was a healthy population of cicadas in the area.

I heard the parents come back to the area in Feb/March and call to the babies and they head back to Indo/New Guinea together.

Brush Turkeys are showing up everywhere, my cat is very interested when they come into my yard. They are appearing in the eastern suburbs now and for a semi flightless bird it's hard to explain how they got over the harbour. 

I saw this White Bellied Sea Eagle at Newport, he had just caught a fish, probably Salmon. He flew past us about 4 times before going to the nest, he must have been showing off.IMG_2343.jpg.7a123aa1fc7a82ce1410c59444fdcb88.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There's a couple of Pluvers that nest in the middle of a small park next door to me, the Council mower guy has noticed them and mows around them, the whipper snipper crew trim up close, but the Pluvers attack them and make a racket, pretty funny really.

• Haha 2

I wouldn't recommend bird watching to any guy that is dating or married. 

Years ago I was watching birds(They were lovely) in my own little world when all of a sudden I felt whack!! across the face.

When i came to my senses i remembered I was standing on the beach with the mrs I was dating and must have fallen into a trance watching the birds.🤣😂

5 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

I wouldn't recommend bird watching to any guy that is dating or married. 

Years ago I was watching birds(They were lovely) in my own little world when all of a sudden I felt whack!! across the face.

When i came to my senses i remembered I was standing on the beach with the mrs I was dating and must have fallen into a trance watching the birds.🤣😂

Here is what you can watch when the wife is not around. Usually it is eagles, this season - a duck 😁. The cam is in Sydney.

https://www.sea-eaglecam.org/video.html