Cronulla

Steve-o

Hey guys.

I semi recently moved to Cronulla. I've hit most of the local spots.... except Salmon Haul Bay. All the squidders, including the Yamashita guy on YouTube when he did his Australian visit, look to be hitting Salmon Haul Reserve / Bass and Flinders Point when they have their Port Hacking / Hacking River squid adventures at secret spots. I thought if it was good enough for the advertising company to hit up when they visit Australia from Japan, it must be a good spot.

I remember some locals telling me it was a gun spot for squid, and at the time thinking, I can just buy bait it's easier. 

In the last week I've spent $160 on Yamashitas and Egixile jigs and about $30 on some cheap glow in the dark ones. 

If anyone wants to show me how to get a feed of Southern Calamari let me know and I'll tag along. 

I want to buy the Egi stick and whatever but first I want to see if I struggle with a cheap spinning combo. 

I think I've used a squid jig once in my life for five minutes. 

I've also gone off and got a spotlight for night time, as a few weeks ago I saw some guys draw in some calamari off a weed bed. You could see them swim right up and sit off the side in the weed bed. 

Laters.

It can be a good spot at times but not as good as in the past as the weed beds have shrunk over the last few years.  It has also been my experience at shb that it shuts down after heavy or prelonged rain.  I have found that it fishes best on the top half of the tide.  Ron 

I've got every day free until classes resume in March.

I'm gonna give it a go myself if no one comes through but if I'm not catching anything it would be good to know if I was doing it wrong or if it was bad luck on the day.

Might try off the Esplanade too. 

Go to kmart or big w, and also get a bunch of "Sacrificial Squid Jigs". These are just squid jigs bought as cheaply as possible, that you use to sacrifice, especially when you are landbased trying a new area.

Start off using the sacrificial jigs to see give you an idea of the terrain. its a snaggy area over there, off memory. After you have an idea of how shallow or deep a particular spot is, and also how snaggy, then use your normal jigs. This will cut your losses by alot. its expensive losing a yama and very annoying losing it on the first cast in a new area.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rob81 said:

Go to kmart or big w, and also get a bunch of "Sacrificial Squid Jigs". These are just squid jigs bought as cheaply as possible, that you use to sacrifice, especially when you are landbased trying a new area.

Great tip!!

I only started fishing for squid last year & bought a cheap Rovex egi rod from Dinga for like $50 delivered & paired it with a 2500 Senna reel I had in the cupboard, all up $80 outfit, does the job.

You can certainly spend a lot of money on dedicated gear, but you dont have to.

If your looking for cheap jigs a shop usually has a big bargain bin which usually has a heap of cheap gillies jigs it them, I think they are ok for $5.

I have just 12 jigs in 3 different weights, brands & colours. 2.5's, 3's & 3.5's, I'dget more if I though it owuld help but think the selection I've made will catch them, just have to find them.

Im a bit like you, watched a heap of youtubes, fishing shows & read lot of articles.

On locations, you can pick them up by just watching where people are fishing. 

I think you have to be persistant & be prepared to move around if they are not there but then when your land based it makes it more dificult for sure.

Good luck :biggrinthumb: 

Edited by kingie chaser

Forgot to ask, what spin setup will you be running? Ideally it should be a light setup, you wont be able to cast on a heavy one. If you have SP setup, you can also use that.

Cheap or expensive, both will catch, just one brings a more enjoyment in the technique.

Both catch, both break, this whole just because you paid more means last longer is nothing to do with price and more on how you look after your gear.

Thanks guys. 

Yeah I'm using a cheap shimano spin combo with braid and fluro leader down to a small ball bearing snap swivel. 

I think the drag is set at 2kg and the braid is rated at I forget but maybe 12lb? 

It's just a little whippy bream rod.

I did go a bit nuts and buy a Okuma Epixor egi rod yesterday and will give it a go when I get a reel to suit it. 

Might go for a walk today and see how I go.

That outfit sounds fine, should be able to achieve the action needed and light enough to sometimes feel the hit.

If you want to stick to shimanos for the reel, ideal would be around 2500-3000, but in saying that nothing wrong with a little over or under that I guess. In the Daiwas it would depends on reel, as their number sizing changed over the last year or so.

good luck tonight. I have gone for a quick one shot down around esplande a few years back, with no luck. Been meaning to try it again but probably later on. Waiting til theyre a little thicker than it is currently.

Just went and had a quick flick near Bass and Flinders Point, working north to south along the rocks casting over weed beds.

Only gave it an hour before I gave up, but no follows or strikes.

Hope to give it a better go another day. Maybe around dusk or dawn or after dark. 

Had no issues casting to apogee/loss of momentum so I'm wondering about what I'm going to get out of that new rod.

I'm thinking of putting an Okuma Epixor reel on it. The price is right, and it will match the rod. 

I've bought those expensive Shimano reels before, back when soft plastics were taking off for Bream, maybe 15 years ago, and really, I don't know what the difference is supposed to be between that an a mid range rig. I don't notice anything, maybe a bit smoother and the infinite anti reverse feels fancy. But performance wise I'm not getting anything out of it.

I gave Shimano and Diawa reels away years ago. There are great reels on the market at half the price,

I have two Okuma reels, never had a problem.

At the big end of town I buy Penn. The last couple of years their reels have come a long way.

Cheers.

Caught my first seven squid today.

All on the Shimano egixile red head keimura 2.5.

Tried about six colours for three hours, moved spots, straight away caught one every cast on this jig, went home.

Now for some deep frying and flat cola.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve-o said:

Pepper turned the flour brown. Or maybe I cooked it too hot.

IMAG0266.jpg

Check out some of the threads in the kitchen section for tips-

Here's one I did a little while back

And I didnt post this in the kitchen but this is from a nice sized squid I got while down the south coast a few years ago..

squid.thumb.jpg.b8a290579eeda37773636002c51b465d.jpg

Cooking is all about having a go & trial & error.

Let me know if you want some tips, happy to assist :biggrinthumb:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Check out some of the threads in the kitchen section for tips-

Here's one I did a little while back

And I didnt post this in the kitchen but this is from a nice sized squid I got while down the south coast a few years ago..

squid.thumb.jpg.b8a290579eeda37773636002c51b465d.jpg

Cooking is all about having a go & trial & error.

Let me know if you want some tips, happy to assist :biggrinthumb:

Mine still tasted good.

Can you give me a tip on the coating you used? 

1 hour ago, Steve-o said:

Mine still tasted good.

Can you give me a tip on the coating you used? 

Click on the link for the morwong version & the recipe is in there, its a bit more complex than the below picture & if you look at my picture its probably also a bit darker than it should be. I actually used the same mix again the other day for some S&P flathead & I ended up adding more tapioca & cornflour to it to lighten the colour & added a bit more salt.

On the below picture its a very basic version, sea salt, black pepper(from a pepper mill) & 50% tapioca & cornflour.

I base all my S&P recipes on a 50/50 mix of tapioca & cornflour, its just my preference.

With me being a chef I sort of think there are next to no limits flavourings with dry spices or even pre marinating the squid before coating, as long as they compliment each other & dont over power the fish.

• Like 1

The way I see it I think in general there is a misconception where the naming of squid vs calamari goes, the two are both squid & part of the Cephalopods family to be specific just different sub species as are cuttlefish & octopus.

There are approx 300 different squid species around the world.

The word calamari is just Italian for squid.

I think in general the southern calamari has a reputation as being a better eating squid, more tender but to be physically able to put a distinction on flavour, not sure about that.

To be honest I have never done a side by side flavour comparison between different species, never felt the need really & I think the only real way is to do a controlled experiment, cook them the same way, breifly in simmering salted water(seperate pots, same amount of water & salt), no other flavourings at all & just natural. I think its the only real way to tell.

At the end of the day they are all good, maybe the only factor I would take into account is the tenderness, if its tough I marinate it in kiwi fruit then wash it off OR cook it for a lot longer to tenderise it like you do with meat when making a stew.