Finally converted to SP!

Gengar

I have always been bait fishing but always intrigued at those people catching fish with soft plastic but put it in the too hard category. I have dabbled in soft plastics here and there but usually within 10 minutes of flicking the SP I would give up and go back to using bait. Recently I saw a few more fishos using SP catching fish and so went over for a chat and see what they use and did more research over the past week including learning double uni knots and loop knots so there is nothing on the line.

Yesterday armed with some 3" zman minnowz in white and pro-cure scent I went to a local wharf for a flick. Didnt get anything for about 20 min but this time persisted with flicking it in slightly different areas and using different retrieval methods and then finally got a take! Reeled it in and it was a flathead at about 40cm. Didnt have a net and as soon as I got it off the water it did the dreaded head shake and fell back in the water. Disappointed but was more happy about the fact that i finally landed something on SP! It was pretty quiet afterwards but then as I was about the pack up there was this massive bust up on the water. Chucked in the SP and as soon as it hit the water it got taken. Managed to land about 4 taylors (about 40cm each) in quick succession but also lost a few as well. I am so glad I stuck with the plastics as I could have never done that with bait!

Now I am looking for more soft plastics to add to the inventory though hoping not to go too crazy! I need to get another pack of the 3" minnowz but also read zman grubs in motor oil is a good allrounder? I usually fish off jetty and so would usually target flathead, bream, trevally and kingfish. If you have any recommendations on SP please do let me know!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, dirvin21 said:

Zman 2.5 inch slim swimz are definetly worth using as well as the grubs, motor oil is good but if I had to pick a single colour greasy prawn 

I'd go a 1/12th jighead if you're landbased 

Thanks mate for the recommendation! I am hoping to get 2 or 3 packs ready in the tackle box as I learn more. I had a look at the slim swimz but it looks very similar to the minnowz or are there some subtle differences?

Also wouldn't it be difficult to chuck the 1/12 jighead far? Also there are truckloads of tiny leatherjackets near the wharf and so would you just reel in the SP quick once its close to the wharf to avoid it getting ripped apart by the leatherjackets?

1 hour ago, Gengar said:

so would usually target flathead, bream, trevally and kingfish. If you have any recommendations on SP please do let me know!

For flathead I would recommend the zman grubz but in 3.5inch size and 2.5inch you don't those 40-50cm as often. The colour I would recommend the motor oil colour as those are the best. Another plastic I would also recommend the holts productions prawns. If you are also looking for some prawn soft plastics I would also look at the squidgies prawn wriggler 110mm in black and gold colour.  The best plastics would be paddle tails if you are looking to get the big girls. As for bream and trevally they will also take the Zman 2.5inch grubz in motor oil colour. However for kingfish I would recommend the Holts Production swim prawns. (downside is you have to order it online and it sells out pretty quickly). Another lure I would recommend is the daiwa bait junkie 5inch and 7inch jerk shad in pearl white and any natural colours. Jighead sizes for all plastics would depend on the current and depth of the water. For flathead I would recommend a 1/4ounce jig and for bream and trevally I would go for 1/12ounce jig. Those are probably my go to's for plastics, but the range gets bigger one you get into blades, vibes and hard-bodied lures.

Edited by Azza_Fishing

9 minutes ago, Azza_Fishing said:

For flathead I would recommend the zman grubz but in 3.5inch size and 2.5inch you don't those 40-50cm as often. The colour I would recommend the motor oil colour as those are the best. Another plastic I would also recommend the holts productions prawns. If you are also looking for some prawn soft plastics I would also look at the squidgies prawn wriggler 110mm in black and gold colour.  The best plastics would be paddle tails if you are looking to get the big girls. As for bream and trevally they will also take the Zman 2.5inch grubz in motor oil colour. However for kingfish I would recommend the Holts Production swim prawns. (downside is you have to order it online and it sells out pretty quickly). Another lure I would recommend is the daiwa bait junkie 5inch and 7inch jerk shad in pearl white and any natural colours. Jighead sizes for all plastics would depend on the current and depth of the water. For flathead I would recommend a 1/4ounce jig and for bream and trevally I would go for 1/12ounce jig. Those are probably my go to's for plastics, but the range gets bigger one you get into blades, vibes and hard-bodied lures.

Thanks for sharing! Why are the Holts Production swim prawns so good?

Might be a stupid question but why would you use 1/4 for bream/trevally and 1/12 for flathead? Wouldn't it be better to use 1/4 even for a flathead so u can cast it further?

For just fishing around wharves land based would 5 and 7 inch be too big even for a kingfish?

1 hour ago, Gengar said:

I was using 1/4. There was also a bit of wind but I was casting about 25m or so i think.

Since your new to soft plastics,  I'd advised targeting flathead first, in my opinion targeting bream straight away may lead to a bit of discouragement. 1/4 Oz jighead is good.  I'd recommend  Squidgy fish lure in pumpkin seed or bloodworm. Important to make sure the lure is rigged nice and straight on the jighead. Plenty on Youtube how to do that.

When retrieving make sure your jighead hits the bottom before you start your next retrieve, you'll  know this has happened when the line relaxes or you see it belly more, again plenty on Youtube on how to retrieve.

Also recommend you use scent. If you buy the  Squidgy Pro range they come with a small tube of scent.

Targeting flathead make sure you don't keep on casting at the same spot, instead cast  in a fan shape from one side to the other, if no hook ups change location (maybe just 30-40m).

I look at the wind direction and then fish an area where the wind is coming from behind, this increases your cast distance, also if the wind is coming from the side you'll get a big bow in your line which makes setting the hook less effective.

Lastly are you using braid line?

16 minutes ago, Gengar said:

Thanks for sharing! Why are the Holts Production swim prawns so good?

Might be a stupid question but why would you use 1/4 for bream/trevally and 1/12 for flathead? Wouldn't it be better to use 1/4 even for a flathead so u can cast it further?

For just fishing around wharves land based would 5 and 7 inch be too big even for a kingfish?

Sorry I got it switched up, its 1/4 for flathead and 1/12 for trevally and bream. Don't use 1/4 for bream and trevally. You can also use 1/12 for flathead in the shallows. The holts swim prawns are really good, because they have these little legs at the bottom that swim really well which looks realistic. Here is a video of what it looks like in the water.

9 minutes ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

Since your new to soft plastics,  I'd advised targeting flathead first, in my opinion targeting bream straight away may lead to a bit of discouragement. 1/4 Oz jighead is good.  I'd recommend  Squidgy fish lure in pumpkin seed or bloodworm. Important to make sure the lure is rigged nice and straight on the jighead. Plenty on Youtube how to do that.

When retrieving make sure your jighead hits the bottom before you start your next retrieve, you'll  know this has happened when the line relaxes or you see it belly more, again plenty on Youtube on how to retrieve.

Also recommend you use scent. If you buy the  Squidgy Pro range they come with a small tube of scent.

Targeting flathead make sure you don't keep on casting at the same spot, instead cast  in a fan shape from one side to the other, if no hook ups change location (maybe just 30-40m).

I look at the wind direction and then fish an area where the wind is coming from behind, this increases your cast distance, also if the wind is coming from the side you'll get a big bow in your line which makes setting the hook less effective.

Lastly are you using braid line?

Yep going all that and yes will continue to target flatheads as read its the easiest! I am using pro-cure shrimp scent as the zman didnt come with any scent but not sure whether all the scents are the same?

Thats good advice about moving which probably why i wasn't onto anything other than the first one as I was in the same spot. Also when do you change lure type and colours? Like do you give yourself 10 min and then try a different lure/colour?

Yes using 14lb braid with 10lb flouro leader.

12 minutes ago, Azza_Fishing said:

Sorry I got it switched up, its 1/4 for flathead and 1/12 for trevally and bream. Don't use 1/4 for bream and trevally. You can also use 1/12 for flathead in the shallows. The holts swim prawns are really good, because they have these little legs at the bottom that swim really well which looks realistic. Here is a video of what it looks like in the water.

These prawns look good!

Also why would you use 1/12 for bream/trevally and not just 1/4? Does bream/trevally like it when it sinks slower?

32 minutes ago, Gengar said:

These prawns look good!

Also why would you use 1/12 for bream/trevally and not just 1/4? Does bream/trevally like it when it sinks slower?

1/4 (of ounce) jighead is heavier than 1/12 jighead

Edited by savit
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Gengar said:

These prawns look good!

58 minutes ago, Gengar said:

Yep going all that and yes will continue to target flatheads as read its the easiest! I am using pro-cure shrimp scent as the zman didnt come with any scent but not sure whether all the scents are the same?

Thats good advice about moving which probably why i wasn't onto anything other than the first one as I was in the same spot. Also when do you change lure type and colours? Like do you give yourself 10 min and then try a different lure/colour?

Yes using 14lb braid with 10lb flouro leader.

You're quite right bream prefer a more subtle SP presentation and generally won't eat anything that plummets past them, whereas flathead will eat anything,  I also reckon the puff of mud made when the jighead hits the bottom attracts attention.

I think most scents are similar BUT others will swear by a particular flavour/taste

With flathead  I don't usually make too many SP changes as they'll eat anything. Bream I think need more SP changes, others may disagree.

14lb braid is OK, and next time you respool maybe try 10 or 8 lb, you'll a bit more casting distance. 10lb leader is good but make sure your drag is set so the fish can run. Flathead have teeth like sandpaper and if it's a big fish and  it swallows the plastic and your leader is in contact with the teeth, they shake their head to try and throw the hook, if your drag's too tight they'll saw through the leader.

The reason moving around for flathead is essential is that they're ambush feeders and lazy. They'll generally just lie there and wait for a meal to swim by (although I have seen them chase lures), so i f you keep casting the same spot and there's no fish there, nothing's going to happen.

One more thing when you get a bite make sure you give a good hook set. Flathead have hard mouths and if you don't set the hook, you'll be winding thinking you've got  a fish on and suddenly it'll be gone.

happy fishing

Richard

Edited by nutsaboutfishing

2 hours ago, motiondave said:

excellent results, and yes, SP can be good, I havea box of lures Ive hardly used and only tested a few times.

Yesterday I used zman 2 inch grubs, motor oil, on what ever I had jighead wise, I think it was 1\8th , and I just tossed it out, flick, flick flick, rest, wind a bit, rest, etc.... got a flathead on send or third cast. and got good hits on it and dropped another as well.

mind you, I still put bait lines out though as well. Never know whats going to hit it. One time I had big bait out off the shore line and the other line was prawn style lure with little interest. Guess what the bait line got, a good 80cm flathead. 

keep at it and Id still suggest a bait line out as well for good measure, be it from shore or boat.

Good point. I will probably have a rod with bait on while I flick the SP around.

1 hour ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

You're quite right bream prefer a more subtle SP presentation and generally won't eat anything that plummets past them, whereas flathead will eat anything,  I also reckon the puff of mud made when the jighead hits the bottom attracts attention.

I think most scents are similar BUT others will swear by a particular flavour/taste

With flathead  I don't usually make too many SP changes as they'll eat anything. Bream I think need more SP changes, others may disagree.

14lb braid is OK, and next time you respool maybe try 10 or 8 lb, you'll a bit more casting distance. 10lb leader is good but make sure your drag is set so the fish can run. Flathead have teeth like sandpaper and if it's a big fish and  it swallows the plastic and your leader is in contact with the teeth, they shake their head to try and throw the hook, if your drag's too tight they'll saw through the leader.

The reason moving around for flathead is essential is that they're ambush feeders and lazy. They'll generally just lie there and wait for a meal to swim by (although I have seen them chase lures), so i f you keep casting the same spot and there's no fish there, nothing's going to happen.

One more thing when you get a bite make sure you give a good hook set. Flathead have hard mouths and if you don't set the hook, you'll be winding thinking you've got  a fish on and suddenly it'll be gone.

happy fishing

Richard

Got it. That makes sense re the different weights for breams and flatheads.

What do you mean by giving a good hook set? Do you mean strike hard to ensure the hook has gone through the mouth when you get a bite?

Bit of a left field response to your post.

But. I used to use SPs all the time for flatties and it was so productive.

And then things slowed down. Considerably.

After some time I decided to try live poddies.

Wouldn't go back to plastics. I know that SPs have advantages: you don't have to catch and keep poddies alive etc but I have seen poddies out fish SPs (when I was the one flicking SPs) so many times...

Just the same, I understand the lure of lure fishing and if that what's tickles your fishing fancy then go for it.

KB

3 hours ago, motiondave said:

I use 1/8 or 1/16 but mostly depends if I'm casting from shore and there is wind. Sometimes I need the heavier jig. 

I use a graphite 7 foot rod 1-4kg. 1000 series reel with 7 pound braid and 10 pound mono leader. I use a small swivel to tie the mono to braid

Does that mean u use a heavier jighead if u need to cast far or when there is strong current and u need it to sink to the bottom?

When fishing land based and not much wind do u prefer using a heavier jighead so u can cast further or a lighter one so it floats down more slowly (at the expense of cast distance)?

2 hours ago, Koalaboi said:

Bit of a left field response to your post.

But. I used to use SPs all the time for flatties and it was so productive.

And then things slowed down. Considerably.

After some time I decided to try live poddies.

Wouldn't go back to plastics. I know that SPs have advantages: you don't have to catch and keep poddies alive etc but I have seen poddies out fish SPs (when I was the one flicking SPs) so many times...

Just the same, I understand the lure of lure fishing and if that what's tickles your fishing fancy then go for it.

KB

Mate I am with you there! Live bait is prob best but other than yakka I haven't been able to catch paddies or squids. And recently the yakka I have been catching are prob too big for live bait which is annoying.

Hi Gengar,

I've taught a lot of people starting out in soft plastics over the years and I keep seeing the same errors. I started writing a how to but that will take a while yet as there is a lot of information too compile.

First thing I think where people struggle is they go too heavy on the gear. I recommend a 2-4kg graphite rod with a length of around 7 foot or a little more with a short butt. Match it with a 1000/1500-2500 sized reel and some 4lb braid (generally will break around 10lb) such as power pro or berkley X5 or some skinny 6lb braid such as Daiwa J braid or Shimano Kairiki. The 14lb braid you are using will severely limit your casting distance. For the same lure (1/4oz) I expect to cast double and probably more distance than you are. Not that I am saying go out and get new gear straight away but if you have a lighter outfit floating around then give it a try.

I chase kings/salmon on the bream gear with 3 inch minnows but use the slapstix in 6" and 9" with my 10 to 15lb lines and 5-8kg outfits.

Are you anywhere near the lower north shore of Sydney as an introduction lesson will shorten your learning curve dramatically?

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD

What an enlightening report Gengar. I'm sure that most of us would be able to relate to the way you finally cracked it on SPs. Great that you stuck it out and now know the value of using them. THEY ARE VERY EFFECTIVE!

Don't get too caught up in having a huge arsenal of plastics and jig heads. Often it's the right place at the right time and persistence that pays off. Good luck, we'll look forward to seeing reports of your successes. Cheers, bn

21 hours ago, DerekD said:

Hi Gengar,

I've taught a lot of people starting out in soft plastics over the years and I keep seeing the same errors. I started writing a how to but that will take a while yet as there is a lot of information too compile.

First thing I think where people struggle is they go too heavy on the gear. I recommend a 2-4kg graphite rod with a length of around 7 foot or a little more with a short butt. Match it with a 1000/1500-2500 sized reel and some 4lb braid (generally will break around 10lb) such as power pro or berkley X5 or some skinny 6lb braid such as Daiwa J braid or Shimano Kairiki. The 14lb braid you are using will severely limit your casting distance. For the same lure (1/4oz) I expect to cast double and probably more distance than you are. Not that I am saying go out and get new gear straight away but if you have a lighter outfit floating around then give it a try.

I chase kings/salmon on the bream gear with 3 inch minnows but use the slapstix in 6" and 9" with my 10 to 15lb lines and 5-8kg outfits.

Are you anywhere near the lower north shore of Sydney as an introduction lesson will shorten your learning curve dramatically?

Regards,

Derek

Hey Derek, actually you was the first one to show me in person how to use lures! We happen to meet at  a wharf and you were teaching me how to use a squid jig! I still remember what you taught me and used that in my outing last weekend so thanks heaps!

I still haven't invested in a quality graphite rod yet and still using a 6'6" graphite composite rod. If you have any good graphite rods (that won't break the bank) do let me know. But i did get a better quality 2500 sized reel. I dont have any lighter lines but can look to get some. I didnt know lighter lines mean I can cast that much more!!!!

I will PM you and see when we can meet up again! Thanks for the offer mate!

18 hours ago, big Neil said:

What an enlightening report Gengar. I'm sure that most of us would be able to relate to the way you finally cracked it on SPs. Great that you stuck it out and now know the value of using them. THEY ARE VERY EFFECTIVE!

Don't get too caught up in having a huge arsenal of plastics and jig heads. Often it's the right place at the right time and persistence that pays off. Good luck, we'll look forward to seeing reports of your successes. Cheers, bn

Thanks BN! I am very glad I persisted and once I learn more hope to share with all the others that haven't made the dive into SPs! This is a great forum with many knowledgeable and helping fishos!

• Like 1