Port Stephens- Back at it!!!

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

Just a quick report from up here. With all the tourists headed home, a mate and me @Rodeoheaded up to Broughton early. Filled up with livies really easy this time. Got to our mark and started the drift. First cast I was on to a nice 50+ pannie. The drift was slow due to a lack of wind but we kept at it. Lots of casts but the whole time drifting a livey behind us. As we headed into whiskers territory, the livey gets nervous and away she goes. I drop the bail arm, count to 5 and lock it up! This thing took a bit of string but once it stopped you could feel the tail beat of a good snapper. A bit underwhelming on the gear that I was on but still fun all the same. 
The day got calmer and the drift much slower. Changed a few locations and added another few pannies to the box. Then it glassed out, so we trolled some slimies around for no hits! So we pulled the plug and headed home. 
Got to the ramp and @Peter Nelson was trying to put his boat on solo, so I gave him hand and had a chat! 
Great morning on the water with the Island very quiet compared to the last 6 weeks. 
Can’t wait to get back out there and do it all again. 

cheers scratchie!!! 

7F133074-600B-4CD1-923C-48FB92077838.thumb.jpeg.f4158d9b212aed18ff2ca3d22c5988e1.jpeg

0E44D43A-9197-425A-B417-25F811BC211B.thumb.png.e506059d0d374ae30366003b65cf1509.png

• Like 18

26 minutes ago, Peter Nelson said:

Nice snapper mate and thanks for the hand getting the boat on the trailer. I hate that ramp, ha ha

All good mate. The surge at the ramp today was a bugger. Good to see you out and about. Will catch up with you soon 🤙

3 hours ago, Rebel said:

You have struck again. Super photos.

Cheers mate

3 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

If I could just catch one of those a year I'd be over the moon.

Well done as usual scratchie :biggrinthumb:

Thanks KC. If you had the same fishing grounds as me, you probably would. 

3 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Fantastic report mate!Loved the read.

Those snapper look like my bream whem I've magnified them 1000 times.

Haha! Caught my fair share of those bream over the years too. 

15 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Good work again Scratchie, but, I am stuck at home. Knee is rooted - no walking, beach swimming, fishing, gardening.  🤢

Thanks Yowie! That’s not good mate. Bloody clam day out there and my feet and back are feeling it. We can’t stop old age 😩

• Haha 2

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 Another solid snap there mate, u will be happy with all the tourists gone. I’ll be up there with a couple of mates 20th -23rd for a muck around, if you are around shoaly pub pop in and say gday mate. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ribs said:

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 Another solid snap there mate, u will be happy with all the tourists gone. I’ll be up there with a couple of mates 20th -23rd for a muck around, if you are around shoaly pub pop in and say gday mate. 

Cheers buddy! Think I’m away that weekend for kids sport 😩

Congrats on another fine fish Jeff ... I’m drooling 🤤.... I hope at some point a FR PS get together can be arranged. 
BTW, I always study posts for techniques and tips 🧐 and on re-reading it occurred to me that this fine fish was attracted to the boat by the SPs you were casting, it only took the live BAIT because that was the only thing in the water between casts. 
Just saying so that some other member doesn’t get confused on how the fish was actually caught. 🙄
So well done again on your exemplary SP fishing skills. 
cheers Zoran 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Congrats on another fine fish Jeff ... I’m drooling 🤤.... I hope at some point a FR PS get together can be arranged. 
BTW, I always study posts for techniques and tips 🧐 and on re-reading it occurred to me that this fine fish was attracted to the boat by the SPs you were casting, it only took the live BAIT because that was the only thing in the water between casts. 
Just saying so that some other member doesn’t get confused on how the fish was actually caught. 🙄
So well done again on your exemplary SP fishing skills. 
cheers Zoran 

Thanks Zoran. 

But actually it’s a very good point. And I’m not sure if I wrote it in my article. But when I’m fishing with soft plastics I always drift a livie behind me. Why, because it’s an extra line in the water and you never know what you’ve missed or is going to turn up. You often forget that it’s even there until the line starts screaming. Also due to the fact of the areas I fish are renown for big kings, cobia etc. Woodsy and I even landed a mako in front of Rickmarlin one day! Lol. 
Last year I managed 3 snapper on livies and the year before the count was about 25. Some huge ones in that too! 

Too add, as I approach my intended drift I deploy them unweighted about 40m from the boat before I cut the engine to start my drift. The perfect drift is between 0.6-1.0knot and that will keep the livie on the surface and maintain its distance from the boat. The drag is set very loose and allows the live bait to swim freely but hindered at the same time. This creates panic at any approaching predators and often induces a bite. Once the bait is taken, I will open the bail arm and count to 10 if I have the patience. Tighten the drag with a bit of pressure and flip over the bail arm. But I do not strike. Let the circle do it’s work! 

This fish was never coming off and was perfectly hooked. So I hope that helps explain the capture in this instance! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

As always, awesome reddie there Jeff. Would this fella be classified as Whiskers or is that only reserved for the bad boys over 90cm.

Some bloody good conditions in the background too.

Thanks Sam. Terrible conditions for snapper fishing 😩

As for whiskers, same area but unfortunately not him! You’ll know when I get him because you Sydney folk will hear me from up here! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Even when anchored and burleying for reds i like to try an sneak a live slimy out somewhere out the back    if thetes a fair bit of current i add a ball sinker and nose rig the slimy to lay in the current mid water  they usually end up straight out the back  which lets you cast strips or heads out to the side of burley a bit

• Like 3

Guest Guest123456789
On 2/3/2021 at 12:05 PM, Scratchie said:

Thanks Zoran. 

But actually it’s a very good point. And I’m not sure if I wrote it in my article. But when I’m fishing with soft plastics I always drift a livie behind me. Why, because it’s an extra line in the water and you never know what you’ve missed or is going to turn up. You often forget that it’s even there until the line starts screaming. Also due to the fact of the areas I fish are renown for big kings, cobia etc. Woodsy and I even landed a mako in front of Rickmarlin one day! Lol. 
Last year I managed 3 snapper on livies and the year before the count was about 25. Some huge ones in that too! 

Too add, as I approach my intended drift I deploy them unweighted about 40m from the boat before I cut the engine to start my drift. The perfect drift is between 0.6-1.0knot and that will keep the livie on the surface and maintain its distance from the boat. The drag is set very loose and allows the live bait to swim freely but hindered at the same time. This creates panic at any approaching predators and often induces a bite. Once the bait is taken, I will open the bail arm and count to 10 if I have the patience. Tighten the drag with a bit of pressure and flip over the bail arm. But I do not strike. Let the circle do it’s work! 

This fish was never coming off and was perfectly hooked. So I hope that helps explain the capture in this instance! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Interesting technique. You’re much braver than me - a big snapper like that swimming off with a live bait, I’d be too scared of getting a finger (or hand) caught up in the braid to tighten the drag while line is peeing off in free spool. But hey it works!