Businesses that request you review their products after purchase

Yowie

4 hours ago, Rey05 said:

surely when you stay at a hotel, the first thing you do is look up what other peoples experiences are? same with when trying a new restaurant?

I do have a look, but there are some f*****g whingers that expect everything to be perfect, and complain if one little thing is not to their over-the-top expectations. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, frankS said:

The overhead rods are not suited to eggbeater reels as the feeder eyes are closer to the blank, as you would know.

Yes in overhead rods the runners are closer to the blank and there are more of them. But as I learnt back in the day when I was building and repairing rods the main consideration is where the blanks spine is positioned relative to the runners. 
if you put a small bend in a blank and roll it, it will flick to have the natural spine on top of the curve. For overhead rods you place runners above the spine. For Alvey, Centerlink or eggbeaters, the runners are placed under the spine. 

A well made rod with the runners correctly placed casts sweetly and doesn’t twist in your hand under load. 

I test all rods before buying them. 

Yowies rod may well be an under mount rod with the wrong runners 😂 

cheers Zoran 

19 hours ago, Yowie said:

Zoran can do his own bloody review on soft plastics. I know nuffin. :074:

Scratchie does a superb job - just check out his last post - he even uses SPs to attract whiskas brother to his live bait ... think he does that so you don’t feel left out Yowie! He’s such a considerate bloke eh?

Cheers Zoran 

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Rob81 said:

For emails you should have an "Unsubscribe" option or a "Do not email", usually on the bottom of emails. For Calls, especially if its from some utility company or insurance, you can tell them not to call and remove you from register ("Do not call" Register).

Everyone else on calls, just block them on phone.

If it’s a legit company eg good guys, Myer etc by all means unsubscribe as they are bound by Aus laws. If it’s spam or a marketing company all you have done is validated that yours is a legitimate email that you monitor and they on sell your email to others. 
I have found it best to add that sender to my junk list - all of their future emails get auto trashed. Eventually they stop emailing as they conclude you do not monitor this email. 
cheers Zoran 

17 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Yowies rod may well be an under mount rod with the wrong runners 😂 

cheers Zoran 

I don't give a shite. it's caught and landed fish, so I will keep using it. :074:

I could always swap it over to take an overhead reel, and land a marlin, then swap it back to an eggbeater. 🤣

Or just go back to handlines and bait. 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blackfish said:

There was a case recently I read that a Restaurant/Cafe was opening, before it opened and had served a meal they had bad reviews for the service and food.

Possibly the opposition cafe getting in early.

13 hours ago, Yowie said:

I do have a look, but there are some f*****g whingers that expect everything to be perfect, and complain if one little thing is not to their over-the-top expectations. 

yeh for sure, but you can look at the general comments and if they all say the same thing its probably not just a whinger

Yeah took me about 4 years before an insurance company stopped calling me. It wasnt just one company, each time they called it was a new company. I think the problem is, when you tell them to add you to the list, they only do it internally and not at a higher level (as in country wide). But either way they can get into trouble for it, even if it is an overseas company as they're operating under our law still. But most people dont complain to the right authorities.

I remembered, I had to help set it up for a company I worked at, and the information came from our government. 

I think its a semi broken process, so it is not full proof but worth a shot.

46 minutes ago, Rob81 said:

Yeah took me about 4 years before an insurance company stopped calling me. It wasnt just one company, each time they called it was a new company. I think the problem is, when you tell them to add you to the list, they only do it internally and not at a higher level (as in country wide). But either way they can get into trouble for it, even if it is an overseas company as they're operating under our law still. But most people dont complain to the right authorities.

I remembered, I had to help set it up for a company I worked at, and the information came from our government. 

I think its a semi broken process, so it is not full proof but worth a shot.

If the annoying company has offices in Europe - contact one of those, and tell them to delete your data everywhere under GDPR - they take it there much seriously than here.

• Like 1

I know a fella who works for a company that sells information to charities and companies looking to do a mail out, produce call lists etc.

Australian law is very muddy around collecting and selling your personal information. It is required that they disclose that they will sell or give your information to third parties but that can be buried in pages of fine print, be in the hidden away in policy pages on their website and there is no requirement to make it clear what they are doing.

He always says give fake information if a company insists on having your details (where possible) and never take part in free giveaway competitions, raffles and simialr; they are "free" to enter as they are selling your information to people who will spam you relentlessly.

• Like 1

Yeah agree with the Europe thing. We had to do big update in the company I work at, even if they're already customers of yours. The main difference is, over here, you have to register to not be called, so by default, its ok to call you, whilst over there, default is do not call unless you have consent to do so.