Marlin inside the port hacking!! *With Video*

SaltyGreek

So my dad was at my uncle’s tackle shop the other day and he came home telling me that a customer showed him a video of a marlin that was hooked inside the port hacking river. I couldn’t believe it and after searching for the vid with no luck I gave up and moved on, a bit sceptical about it all. However, I just saw the video reposted on a Facebook page and i couldn’t believe my eyes. 

Link to the video (not mine btw): https://vm.tiktok.com/ZSokcX3w/

@mrsswordfishermannot sure if I’m allowed to repost the link but if it needs to be deleted that’s fine. 

Edited by SaltyGreek
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• SaltyGreek changed the title to Marlin inside the port hacking!! *With Video*
11 minutes ago, SaltyGreek said:

So my dad was at my uncle’s tackle shop the other day and he came home telling me that a customer showed him a video of a marlin that was hooked inside the port hacking river. I couldn’t believe it and after searching for the vid with no luck I gave up and moved on, a bit sceptical about it all. However, I just saw the video reposted on a Facebook page and i couldn’t believe my eyes. 

Link to the video (not mine btw): https://vm.tiktok.com/ZSokcX3w/

@mrsswordfishermannot sure if I’m allowed to repost the link but if it needs to be deleted that’s fine. 

That's mad! A Sailfish (it looks like) inside anywhere is rare indeed

• Like 1

My mate lived in a waterfront in Nth West Arm (Port Hacking) and one day when we had a teacher free day (jigging school) we were sitting on his lawn fishing for bream and a marlin cruised slowly past. There used to be many marlin, spanish mackeral and like species hooked around Jibbon and in the mouth of the Hacking, back in the days of my youth. I have seen loads of marlin on the surface within 1 klm of the mouth and in Bate Bay over the years. It is a rare thing but happens more often than you would imagine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, motiondave said:

interesting to see for sure, maybe the waterways is good.

slightly off topic on fish, but over a year ago, I found this hanging around up across from Drummoyne towards Gladesville.

Last year we had a huge seal swim past while we were fishing near Woolwich.  It was over 6’ long.

• Like 1

You can keep the seals-sails and little blacks are not afraid of shallow water so if there is something for them to eat not much is suprising-none the less its a cool video-but that net made me laugh my head off-maybe he was going to clock the fish on the head?

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

You can keep the seals-sails and little blacks are not afraid of shallow water so if there is something for them to eat not much is suprising-none the less its a cool video-but that net made me laugh my head off-maybe he was going to clock the fish on the head?

Have too agree! The net got me too 🤣🤣🤣

Re the Net - the rule on my boat is NO NET/Gaf untill the fish is at the boat. Any presentation of said device is "bad joss" and likely to result in loss of fish. Is that a bit like No Bananas on board, etc etc??

I sent my father the details of this fish- he is at Bermagui on a boys week - the current outside is reportedly 28* raging to the south. He's been all over Oz chasing a Sail. The thought of one so close must drive him nuts. Thanks for the post

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoods said:

Re the Net - the rule on my boat is NO NET/Gaf untill the fish is at the boat. Any presentation of said device is "bad joss" and likely to result in loss of fish. Is that a bit like No Bananas on board, etc etc??

I sent my father the details of this fish- he is at Bermagui on a boys week - the current outside is reportedly 28* raging to the south. He's been all over Oz chasing a Sail. The thought of one so close must drive him nuts. Thanks for the post

Yep-thats up there with banana's , just hook more fish-then you wont be so worried. Saw a sail weighed at Narooma back in 1991 , also hooked a wahoo at the island that year-your dad might be in with a shot!

• Thanks 1

I have been around game fishing since the early 90's and still keep an eye on what goes on down at Port Hacking GFC, first time I have herd of a Marlin or sailfish caught inside. That is a pretty special catch.
One time we had the lures out coming past the entrance to Botany Bay and got a marlin hit, that's the closest I have encountered before.