Blue Mountains Trout

Yoyo

Hi Raiders. First post. I’ve fished the Cox since I was 21. Now 53. At least once a year but sometimes 4 or 5 times. Up until last year we have walked in from packsaddlers/Carlon’s farm usually Down Breakfast creek but sometimes under Narrow neck to the Cox kowmung junction. Illegal section.Water board and national parks suck for restricting this access point. Great mountain bike trip with pack. I’ve fished all the way from the Kowmung to Jenolan and up the jenolan to Hell’s gorge. In good years with clean flowing water we have pulled 60 70 trout out over 3 days. There is no closed season below the Little river Cox river junction. Best fished in winter. Very beautiful. Very remote. Long walks only worth it if you stay two nights Or a very light day pack and a very early start. Must be reasonably fit and good in the Bush. You will most likely have the river to your self especially if you go downstream from Breakfast creek. Best part of the mountains. Told my kids to spread my ashes there so all the Sydney people can have a taste of from warragamba dam. Last year walked downstream from Cox river campground to Little River junction. Easy walk. No such thing as private property on river banks in Australia so ignore the signs and respect  the landowners property but don’t let them tell you your not alloying walk down river. Fishing isn’t as good as a days walk down stream. 

• 1 month later...

Your advice re walking the banks on private property is incorrect - refer to Section 38 of the Fisheries Management Act. NSW is not like New Zealand which has a "Queen's Chain", allowing people to walk along the bank. Whilst some property titles give landowners ownership of the stream/ river bed and even mid-way, landowners cannot prevent you from walking through their property in the stream bed under S.38; howver if you are on their LAND above HW mark, they can.

The river bed is crown land to the HW mark (flood level). As mentioned, respect landowners and their property and you shouldn't have a problem. 

If a landowner approaches you with an issue be polite and let them know you're aware of the laws, if they wish to take things further than a friendly discussion they are well within their rights to call the police/authorities, but so long as you haven't trespassed or interfered with their property, they don't have a legal leg to stand on.

Having said that, in some areas I've found the best case is to vacate the (irate, stubborn, and sometimes armed) landowners property via the riverbed and continue on your merry way.

Say ten years Fisheries would have advised you not to step out of the water. Now their saying you can walk the lower bank, I really doubt the average farmer has come around to that way of thinking and would be ready for argument. I believe the HW mark is land alternatively covered and uncovered EXCEPT in the case of flood, not exactly clear. I just find it easier to go to Victoria now days for a month of 4WDing.

I've had a few run ins with the previously mentioned landowners (a few across central west nsw), BUT I have to mention that this is absolutely the minority. I only thought it worth mentioning so people are aware that it's something they may encounter. Unlikely, yes, but unfortunately it does happen.

I've had friends assaulted, and I've had shots fired over my head. It's an uncommon occurrence, but just be cautious, polite, and do the right thing.

Edited by thatdan1000

I agree there are some decent landowners out there, I believe as new properties are resurveyed they are adding a reserve along the river, unfortunately its going to be a long process.  

• 3 months later...