Washed off rocks...again

Hi,

Seems to me a popular spot like this could be closed when conditions are not right for fishing in much the same way as SLSC and Council Lifeguards close the beaches on days when it is too dangerous. Shouldn't be too hard. 

SLSC and Lifeguards are on patrol at Pt Kembla Beach which is very close by. They're the ones who end up having to risk their lives to save people so maybe they have a right to have a say anyway.

I was once a SLSC club and patrol captain and closing the beach was an easy option to take with lives of the public and especially members possibly at risk.

KB

Heres another thought, Make wearing Life Jackets mandatory there at least.

That would be the first step rather than a response from certain members of the public/council/do gooders to ban fishing there.

It would be better for all the Families, friends and the community to at least have a better chance of having them not being a statistic.

35 minutes ago, Blackfish said:

Heres another thought, Make wearing Life Jackets mandatory there at least.

Plenty of council areas have enforced this already & I would be suprised to hear that Illawara have not made it manditory but then it also wouldnt suprise me if they hadn't for fear of back lash.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5341008/mayors-spooked-by-cost-of-rock-fishing-lifejacket-laws/

Im sure they can pass enforcible laws for specific areas within the LGA?

Edited by kingie chaser

10 hours ago, Rebel said:

Education is the go. But certain people will not lisen. People think it won't happen to me I am Bullet proof.

Yeah, education is good for someone who is eager to learn. But if example of others who died there just three weeks ago at the same spot in exact same conditions doing exactly the same taught them nothing, then nothing else will.

The real scary thing is that these people drive cars, share roads and do something at their workplaces - one thought of this gives me shivers.

It was a crap night, southerly wind, rain and moderate swell, right on dark when I saw the rescue helicopter buzzing around, no time to be fishing that spot, but as has been mentioned many times, it won't stop people fishing there. I am pretty sure councils have the authority to implement local laws, and I reckon considering this spots reputation, any safety law would be rubber stamped pretty quick.

I have said this previously, what happens mostly, people from Western Sydney pack the car, load the family for a day out fishing, some only see the ocean rocks a handful of times a year! After traveling 3-4 hours, nothing is going to prevent them going fishing, no amount of signs or warnings will prevent this, when they arrive at the spot, you are presented with the perfect looking fishing platform, low ledge, deep water, what could be better, a family gets their gear ready, usually big bobby corks with ganged hooks and pilchards, and stand, spread out on the lower ledge, a few waves "top" the ledge and you get wet shoes and maybe some bags stored against the back high step, but every hour or more, a bigger set comes through, some see it and run, some are oblivious and get washed off their feet, but stay on the ledge, every few weeks, some are not so lucky and go in, there is a life ring there, most get out, cut, scratched and bruised, but....now and then!!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

If it's that dangerous & by all account by the death toll it is just ban fishing on the site!

Anyone disobeying will be prosecuted & install cams & motion sensors.

Problem solved.

Don't think so buddy...unfortunately not as simple as you may think. You just cant teach stupid.

To those guys wanting spots like this locked up- think very carefully about what you are wishing for-safety has been used as a reason to ban all sorts of activities that arent actually unsafe-this will become the excuse to lock up all sorts of fishing spots that either greenies want fishing stopped in or wealthy locals want "westies" to not intrude upon , or boardriders want exclusive use of -or whatever- as i keep pointing out-whilst a rockfishing death is an individual tragedy for those involved-in the overall scheme of drownings its not a major one-so as fishos we should offer support -i dont even rockfish anymore but would be appalled if those that want to are locked out of even ONE spot. One day someone elses sport or spot- the next day yours.

• Like 5

As with beach’s rock fishing spots vary greatly depending on prevailing conditions & topography 

Maybe the more used & dangerous spots could have as a guideline what conditions (swell direction, tide, height of waves etc) could create hazardous & unsafe fishing conditions 

Edited by 61 crusher

I think something like a conditional ban would work if if well enforced: "WARNING! Dangerous swell in this location. Many people have died here. Fishing prohibited when swell above 1.5m. Fines exceed $10000 and loss of fishing license."  Or something like that.

A lot of people will fish it irrelevant of fencing there or not. If you ban fishing there, they will just say its not patrolled so chances of getting caught are slim.

Rather than banning a location, why not put up signs with danger levels, like they do with some bush locations, with fire danger levels. That way, when they enter, they can see its in the red, so maybe find somewhere to fish. Currently, its only social media I see (on some pages), where, there is a serve warning to fishermen to not fish eastern coastline. However not everyone is on social media. Yes, these signs will cost money to not only put up and to update danger levels, but at least will help change the minds of considering heading out to the rock ledge. If a person continues to ignore the sign, well, theres not much to stop them, those people will go out irrelevant of being informed or not.

Not all fishermen are well educated in the dangers of some locations, at least this would help those who still cant work this out (or work out the obvious looking at the ledge). Those are just my thoughts and it probably wont save all lives as some will still go, but at least help those who have no idea that cherish their lives.

1 hour ago, Rob81 said:

A lot of people will fish it irrelevant of fencing there or not. If you ban fishing there, they will just say its not patrolled so chances of getting caught are slim.

Rather than banning a location, why not put up signs with danger levels, like they do with some bush locations, with fire danger levels. That way, when they enter, they can see its in the red, so maybe find somewhere to fish. Currently, its only social media I see (on some pages), where, there is a serve warning to fishermen to not fish eastern coastline. However not everyone is on social media. Yes, these signs will cost money to not only put up and to update danger levels, but at least will help change the minds of considering heading out to the rock ledge. If a person continues to ignore the sign, well, theres not much to stop them, those people will go out irrelevant of being informed or not.

Not all fishermen are well educated in the dangers of some locations, at least this would help those who still cant work this out (or work out the obvious looking at the ledge). Those are just my thoughts and it probably wont save all lives as some will still go, but at least help those who have no idea that cherish their lives.

I too am not a fan of lock out zones.

@Rob81 you are thinking exactly along the lines that I am. But I feel "conditional" signs while providing very valuable information will out of necessity be very verbose. Personally I think the verbose signs in many languages rarely get read - especially in the heat of the moment when someone doesn't want to miss out on their spot on the ledge. 

I think the warning signs should bold and confronting ... make people pause and think, and perhaps read the more detailed signs.  I was thinking something like this:

image.png.cea4447f807de2a39f1d9704ec8559d4.png

If you run out of years, print a sign for the next three years and attach next to it.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 2

Lots of body boarders access breaks that are not on beaches by jumping in off the rocks and coming back in up the rocks.

Maybe they could offer education.

I think the reason a lot of people drown is because they think they are going to get smashed up on the rocks and so instead of swimming up over the rocks, try and stay away from the rocks, and get tired, or go fetal position near the rocks and get tumbled around instead of going up and over. 

3 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

@Rob81 you are thinking exactly along the lines that I am. But I feel "conditional" signs while providing very valuable information will out of necessity be very verbose. Personally I think the verbose signs in many languages rarely get read - especially in the heat of the moment when someone doesn't want to miss out on their spot on the ledge. 

I think the warning signs should bold and confronting ... make people pause and think, and perhaps read the more detailed signs.  I was thinking something like this:

If you run out of years, print a sign for the next three years and attach next to it.

Cheers Zoran

While I agree it can be confronting when seeing such a sign it doesnt have much affect on behavour.

I think I said it in the other thread where on particular roads throughout the country there are similarly numbered/statistic signs & the number just increase year to year so what effect is a sign having..........none!

When your talking about on road the only real difference made imo is when you have constant police presence.

No one likes it because you either get booked or have to slow down & that is a major inconvenience to a lot of people(& we all see them!!).

So the only was I see any difference going forward to curb the death toll for this particular spot is if laws are introduced that can be policed, but again people wont like it because its an inconvenience & wont suit them.

But if your a family thats left to pick up the pieces Im sure they are wondering how its allowed to happen & what can be done to save the next family from the same pain.

Just for a fish.........................we love it but its not worth a life.

Edited by kingie chaser

20 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Cheers Zoran

There's only soo much you can do. At the end of the day, some people will go either way. What the signs will help do is market towards those that are willing to make a decision to not go based on information supplied to them.

Just kind of reviving this again, anyone thinking of going rock fishing now needs to rethink, the swell is pumping, relatively normal until the sets come through! so unless you know a nice quite sheltered spot, don't chance it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Noelm the Recreational Fishing Alliance of NSW issued an email alert yesterday afternoon warning of "large and powerful swells" and dangerous conditions from the Illawarra to Byron coasts. Unsafe for rock fishing and most recreational boating activities such as bar crossings etc.

Always worth reviving this thread as it may well save someone who was thinking of going.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Thanks Noelm the Recreational Fishing Alliance of NSW issued an email alert yesterday afternoon warning of "large and powerful swells" and dangerous conditions from the Illawarra to Byron coasts. Unsafe for rock fishing and most recreational boating activities such as bar crossings etc.

Always worth reviving this thread as it may well save someone who was thinking of going.

Never heard of then Waza, but then I dont rock fish.

I would hope people that do rock fish check these warnings, or at least know of them?

7 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Never heard of then Waza, but then I dont rock fish.

I would hope people that do rock fish check these warnings, or at least know of them?

Hi KC they send me an email every time there are warnings issued or about to be issued- great free service. info@rfansw.com.au  

It's the Recfish site. Have a look- good info there

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Just kind of reviving this again, anyone thinking of going rock fishing now needs to rethink, the swell is pumping, relatively normal until the sets come through! so unless you know a nice quite sheltered spot, don't chance it.

I dont think the deaths will stop at Hill60 i have told many a person to go home because of the conditions alot of people just dont get it. 

• Like 1