Bare feet or covered for fishing.

Pickles

Bare feet or not?  I have to wear something on my “foot and a half” (partial right foot  amputation due to bike accident 6 years ago), so live in Crocs.

I’ve  had a few interesting conversations with fellow fishos recently (As, in the past,  had to either cut out or pull out hooks - never had a hospital trip yet), so thought I’d put it out there that on my boat I highly recommend “no bare feet”.  As I fish mostly for Kingies and Dollies, once in the boat they still have plenty of go in them, so chances of catching a hook in a “soft bit” is pretty high.

What do other Raiders think. 

Edited by Pickles
Added more

12 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Bare feet or not?  I have to wear something on my “foot and a half” (partial right foot  amputation due to bike accident 6 years ago), so live in Crocs.

I’ve  had a few interesting conversations with fellow fishos recently (As, in the past,  had to either cut out or pull out hooks - never had a hospital trip yet), so thought I’d put it out there that on my boat I highly recommend “no bare feet”.  As I fish mostly for Kingies and Dollies, once in the boat they still have plenty of go in them, so chances of catching a hook in a “soft bit” is pretty high.

What do other Raiders think. 

I fish naked on my boat as I never catch anything to cause injuries by hooks.I do notice people stay well clear of me though for some reason.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Nothing like bare tootsies on carpet though.I go bare feet,sneakers or imitation crocs depending on my mood/weather.Nothing like a middle aged man standing naked on his boat holding onto his rod wearing crocs.😊😂😂

20 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Always thongs, summer or winter does not matter.

Are they on your feet or elsewhere?I'm having all sorts of visions mate.🤣😂 Picturing you holding a jewie with just a thong on and a bung knee.🤣😂

• Haha 1

Guest Guest123456789

Good post Bob. As I’ve gotten older I’ve gotten wiser/softer. These days I wear crocs as well. One of the big stores had a sale on and I scored a pair for $50. They have neoprene on the top and a Velcro strap to lock in the shoe. Great for wading through muddy shallows that have mangrove spikes and oysters etc.

On another apparel related post there is some really great outdoor wear these days which makes fishing much more comfortable. Wick away shirts and the new water resistant pants and jackets that are also breathable are excellent. Stops you getting sunburnt or wet/cold.

2 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Are they on your feet or elsewhere?I'm having all sorts of visions mate.🤣😂 Picturing you holding a jewie with just a thong on and a bung knee.🤣😂

If you mean like Borat's swimmers, I don't think so - I would need a pair of socks to make things look bigger. One thing for you young blokes - as you get older, some parts expand, other parts shrink.  😂🤣:074:

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Yowie said:

If you mean like Borat's swimmers, I don't think so - I would need a pair of socks to make things look bigger. One thing for you young blokes - as you get older, some parts expand, other parts shrink.  😂🤣:074:

😂😂😂I'll be using footy socks when I get to that stage.

Shimano Evair water shoes are great. They last a really long time, made of moulded EVA with an innersole. Great in/out of the water and similar to Crocs but with the innersole.

Best of all they are available from sponsor Dinga online. They have them on special at times also.

Have had the black ones with blue sole but the grey ones seem softer and more comfortable for some reason. I have crook legs and I live in the Shimano's- even comfy on concrete.

Best to cover your feet- even Flatties can be deadly flapping around on the floor.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Shimano Evair water shoes are great. They last a really long time, made of moulded EVA with an innersole. Great in/out of the water and similar to Crocs but with the innersole.

Best of all they are available from sponsor Dinga online. They have them on special at times also.

Have had the black ones with blue sole but the grey ones seem softer and more comfortable for some reason. I have crook legs and I live in the Shimano's- even comfy on concrete.

Best to cover your feet- even Flatties can be deadly flapping around on the floor.

Good footwear is a must!

Just on another note fishraider does not have sponsors at the moment. Dinga was a past sponsor and fine to mention that site until such times that sponsors come onboard.

• Thanks 1

Normally where thongs when launching the boat, but always seem to pull the plugs out of them when do it.  Therefore always seem to end up in bare feet, but agree, some protection is probably a good thing.  When have been fishing in cold weather have had socks and sneakers in the boat to put on.

• 2 weeks later...

I allways fish barefoot.. 

But alot more cautious after leaving a filleting knife at foot level in a holder, getting my toe caught behind it in some swell and when I pulled back filleted my toe down to the bone 🥴 

That was 6 hours in emergency and 7 stitches with a car footwell full of blood and a parking ticket at the hospital for parking with a boat on (2am and carpark was empty) 

In winter I wear the boots pictured below.. compfy, waterproof and warm. Double as my hunting boots in winter. 

images.jpeg-67.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1