Garden Pond for green weed

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

I must admit I didn’t plan on getting a large supply of luderick weed when building this pond but it’s a great by product!

All it comprises is an old concrete laundry tub the neighbours were throwing out. To this I added a couple of lillies, rainwater (no chlorine as this burns fish and frogs gills), small fish from aquarium and some tadpoles I picked up at narara. The frogs have spawned and its well populated with tadpoles and frogs and the fish have spawned and there’s a healthy population of them too. 

It’s half in the ground (stops wild temperature variations) and north facing so gets 6 hours of sun(which the lillies need) yet protected from the hot westerly sun by the fence.

Sorry not sure exact type of plants I bought them from the aquarium.

It’s two years old now and the poo from the fish and frogs fertilises the lillies which oxygenate the water. I do zero maintenance, no pumps, chemicals etc. Any mosquito larvae is quickly eaten by the frogs and fish. It also attracts bees, birds and dragonflies which is a nice bonus. There is sufficient protection from ibis birds etc - I don’t need mesh.

if you don’t have a rainwater tank you can use town water but you’ll need a chemical to add to the water to manage the chlorine which can be bought from aquarium (there is a good one at west Gosford).

This is good luderick weed, no slime or smell and dried out it’s like cotton candy. Come winter I’ll harvest some, dry it out for a few days wrapped in newspaper then go target a few luderick. Wish me luck!

AC861C81-98D2-4F1A-AE31-91BAB31281A5.jpeg

5492AA01-4EFE-47C4-AFBA-C3C0B1DE6565.jpeg

67A992C9-189B-4AC7-863F-ADCDDD96CA09.jpeg

I am a long way from a Blackfish expert, but in my experience, that fine weed that grows in ponds doesn't seem as good as the thicker salt water stuff, it still works, and way better than no weed at all, which seems to be the case whenever Blackfish are biting.

Guest Guest123456789
2 hours ago, noelm said:

I am a long way from a Blackfish expert, but in my experience, that fine weed that grows in ponds doesn't seem as good as the thicker salt water stuff, it still works, and way better than no weed at all, which seems to be the case whenever Blackfish are biting.

Two of the old boys from terrigal taught me the dark art of blackfishing. Including types of blackfish weed/cabbage, luderick/drummer spots, drying, storing and rigging different types of black fish weed and cabbage etc. Between them they have 100 years and 4 generations experience black fishing - they both fit the definition of expert. One of the black fishing guys that passed a few years back had a rod that had been passed onto him by one of the pioneers of the sport - I remember him telling me it was over 100 years old.

5 hours ago, noelm said:

Have to agree