telescopic fishing rods advice

leonardgid

Hello raiders, im thinking about buying a couple  of telescopic  rods  up to ten foot  for things like bream whiting and blackfish, only thing is that  some of the cheaper ones  have been known to break , does anyone own any  that they are happy with and had used a number of times , thank you for your reply .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, motiondave said:

I've got a twelve foot one I bought for $60 from tackle Shop about three years ago, it's been used quite a bit. Only issue I had it the top eyelet came off so I had to replace it. Biggest thing I've caught was a 65cm salmon off the beach. It's handy as it telescope so I can put in boot of car. It's more flexible than a normal two piece beach rod though

thank you dave

7 hours ago, leonardgid said:

thank you , really good start  , quite affordable also, only problem there is no Australian distributor and i do not trust  overseas  sales sites , but i will certainly  consider  them, 

I have bought lots of gear from overseas websites before but you need to make contact with them, check if they ship OS, what the charges are etc.

The alternative is to buy from a eBay seller.

Good luck. 

17 hours ago, leonardgid said:

thank you , really good start  , quite affordable also, only problem there is no Australian distributor and i do not trust  overseas  sales sites , but i will certainly  consider  them, 

If you are interested in european models incl. telescopics - check Aussie store Adore Tackle, though their prices could be far from affordable unless on sale.

Also, if you are interested in Shimano - look also at NZ online shops, some of them deliver to AU. NZ Shimano products and price range differs from AU Shimano.

• Like 1

For the species you mentioned, you can look into ISO rods. But they can get pretty pricey. Typically in the form of telescopic rods, however, to properly use them, it is very technical. All comes down to environment and conditions of water, which would then determine the type of line and the weight of floats you use, and in some cases how you actual rig up).

You can use a small normal reel with them if you do not want to use proper ISO reels (LBD Reels: Lever Brake Drag Reels).

Its a very successful technique of fishing, but too technical for me. I just enjoy fishing without the aid of a table to work out what I need to do to catch fish, so I don't know too much about it but I'm sure someone in this forum might know.

On 2/24/2021 at 3:50 PM, savit said:

If you are interested in european models incl. telescopics - check Aussie store Adore Tackle, though their prices could be far from affordable unless on sale.

Also, if you are interested in Shimano - look also at NZ online shops, some of them deliver to AU. NZ Shimano products and price range differs from AU Shimano.

very helpful , thank you for all the information  i will look into it . 

12 hours ago, Rob81 said:

For the species you mentioned, you can look into ISO rods. But they can get pretty pricey. Typically in the form of telescopic rods, however, to properly use them, it is very technical. All comes down to environment and conditions of water, which would then determine the type of line and the weight of floats you use, and in some cases how you actual rig up).

You can use a small normal reel with them if you do not want to use proper ISO reels (LBD Reels: Lever Brake Drag Reels).

Its a very successful technique of fishing, but too technical for me. I just enjoy fishing without the aid of a table to work out what I need to do to catch fish, so I don't know too much about it but I'm sure someone in this forum might know.

i know a bit about ISO,   as much as i would love to own   a few  ISO rods the prices  are not in my price range, i would hate my self if i broke one of them rods ,  so i would rather buy  a couple of cheap ones for now , thank you  for your advice .

On 2/22/2021 at 6:25 PM, leonardgid said:

Hello raiders, im thinking about buying a couple  of telescopic  rods  up to ten foot  for things like bream whiting and blackfish, only thing is that  some of the cheaper ones  have been known to break , does anyone own any  that they are happy with and had used a number of times , thank you for your reply .

Mate, think if you just want them or need them. ISO is s kind of fishing on it is own. And tele rod action is generally more suitable for bait than lures. 

I got couple of  cheaper (JW) tele rods -  10' and  6'   in the beginning of my local 'fishing career'.  I still use 10' when rod portability and weight are more important than targetted fish fighting ability e.g  when hiking/fishing in NPs loaded like mule with other 'important' stuff . It is useless on the beach as once sand gets in it (through wind, humidity/condensation or just a drop) - you will get a new permanent custom rod design, and it will be difficult to wash the sand out later. 6' tele rod had one overseas trip, and serves as a portable safety flag pole on my kayak.

• Like 2

On 2/26/2021 at 9:58 AM, antonywardle said:

There is an ISO Shop at Eastwood if you are Sydny based. The cheapest one the do is $140

Is that too high for your budget?

no that's  not much at all , i will pay them a visit , thank you .

• Like 1

On 2/28/2021 at 11:27 AM, savit said:

Mate, think if you just want them or need them. ISO is s kind of fishing on it is own. And tele rod action is generally more suitable for bait than lures. 

I got couple of  cheaper (JW) tele rods -  10' and  6'   in the beginning of my local 'fishing career'.  I still use 10' when rod portability and weight are more important than targetted fish fighting ability e.g  when hiking/fishing in NPs loaded like mule with other 'important' stuff . It is useless on the beach as once sand gets in it (through wind, humidity/condensation or just a drop) - you will get a new permanent custom rod design, and it will be difficult to wash the sand out later. 6' tele rod had one overseas trip, and serves as a portable safety flag pole on my kayak.

On 2/28/2021 at 11:27 AM, savit said:

On 2/27/2021 at 9:06 AM, Rebel said:

Dinga fishing also has a range of Telescopic rods.

Cheers.

thank you

On 2/26/2021 at 9:58 AM, antonywardle said:

There is an ISO Shop at Eastwood if you are Sydny based. The cheapest one the do is $140

Is that too high for your budget?

no that's  not much at all , i will pay them a visit , thank you .

• Like 1