Jewie question

Fishfeltcher

Some like to let them run.  I have drag set tò hook them if they run with bait but if they are biting timidly I feed them some slack to eat the bait.  I like to strike strongly if they are moving off with the bait.  They don't have hands, so if they are moving off with the bait it's in their mouth.  Ron 

1 hour ago, campr said:

Some like to let them run.  I have drag set tò hook them if they run with bait but if they are biting timidly I feed them some slack to eat the bait.  I like to strike strongly if they are moving off with the bait.  They don't have hands, so if they are moving off with the bait it's in their mouth.  Ron 

Some top advice there Ron 

• 2 weeks later...

In consensus with most people in here, although I generally fish with fresh dead baits, not live baits. I fish with a ball sinker running directly to the hook, as light as required to get it in touch with the bottom.

I've fished for jews with circles and J-hooks; J's have a much better hookup rate in my experience.

I've tried letting them run in freespool vs. drag set and strike hard as soon as you feel them take it (or sense they have it in their mouth); striking has a much better hookup rate in my experience. Sharp hooks and striking hard are essential imo, as they have a tough bony throat/mouth and you want to ensure that the hook has set well.

I catch most of mine on handlines and strip baits. The reel is set at an angle on the bottom of the boat, so that the fish can grab the bait and run with the line. Just a matter of grabbing the line and the hook sets itself.

I also use pillies on ganged hooks with a rod and reel. The bail arm is left open so the line is free, a fish grabs the bait and runs, then flip the bail arm over and lift the rod.

On the few occasions I use a livie on rod and reel, I use a reel with a baitrunner drag, minimal pressure so that the fish can run with the bait, and once running for a short while, I stop the baitrunner drag and the reel is then in fighting drag, lift the rod and hook up.