Another traumatic loss of a rod

little fisho

after losing my brand new setup last week, this is the last thing i wanted to happen

headed down to mcmahons point with a few mates looking for jews, and started casting a metal lure on my brand new shimano rod, and my mate who was relatively new to fishing decided he wanted to have a cast, i reluctantly handed it over and let him cast whole holding his rod

next thing i know i hear a loud ping and a snap, i turn my head to look and the top half of my new 2 piece is floating in the water. i stared for a second in absolute disbelief that this happened twice in 2 weeks and my mind just went blank. another mate jumped in but it sank to the bottom and was lost forever.

somehow snagged a huge blue swimmer on a pillie which was quite lucky

later that night i had a live yakka soaking for 2-3 hours for nothing, but ended up nailing 10 or so on mcdonalds chips after running out of pillies.

went home at 10 with nothing but some yakkas for bait and a promise for a replacement rod

my luck is unbelievable

A86E6E71-A2B9-45E8-925F-C3551B397094.jpeg

Edited by little fisho
forgot to add crab
  • Like 4

Gee mate, with that sort of reputation developing you're going to need to be very careful with your fishing gear in the future. Apparently we learn from our mistakes, so things should improve for you shortly. On the bright side, you didn't lose your reel too.

Cheers, bn

That sucks mate! 

I had a brand new Abu Rod and Daiwa reel goto the bottom of the river about 5 years ago when a mate went for a big cast out of the boat and hooked it up and out of the rod holder.. 

Then no joke, fishing exactly the same hole yesterday, same mates rod went off.. I sat mine in the holder to grab the net  and as I sat the but of mine in it got smacked and watched it sink and run! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Berrero said:

Such a tragedy, so sorry to hear about your run of bad luck :(

Just out of curiosity; what do you think caused it to snap in the first place? Casting error / wind knot on casting / striking too hard on a carbon rod?

in his cast, he flung the rod behind him and smacked the metal railing, then cast really hard causing both the mainline to snap and the top part of the rod to fly away. not exactly sure what happened

3 hours ago, Rebel said:

Sorry about your rod. Shimano will replace it. Nice swimmer.

i called my local tackle shop and they said i would need to get it specially ordered in and pay around half the price of what i got it for, which makes sense

17 hours ago, little fisho said:

in his cast, he flung the rod behind him and smacked the metal railing, then cast really hard causing both the mainline to snap and the top part of the rod to fly away. not exactly sure what happened

i called my local tackle shop and they said i would need to get it specially ordered in and pay around half the price of what i got it for, which makes sense

That sucks mate! I have broken a brand new rod before, but it wasn't anything coveted or special.

I have noticed some brands offer a tip replacement as a product. You got to be thankful for that!

Hopefully your mate offered to help with the replacement...or at least bought you your macca's meal! But I guess mistakes are mistakes and mates are mates...ah well, lesson learned from all involved. I think you have probably finished your degree in the fishing tackle school of hard knocks (literally in the case of your rod...).

I witnessed similar thing at Batemans Bay rock wall at night.  The guy (still teenager)  broke his mates Saltiga Demon rod on the first large lure cast, and felt very devastated, however caught his first (1m+) Jewie on lures later,  and everyone went celebrating. No crack in a rod is worth a crack in relationship.

On 2/28/2021 at 5:55 AM, Little_Flatty said:

Hopefully your mate offered to help with the replacement...

I was thinking the same thing, if I broke someone else's rod I'd be replacing it for sure, that's just the done (right) thing yeh?

On 2/28/2021 at 7:08 PM, blaxland said:

If a two piece rod comes apart casting normally just reel the pieces in but I wasnt there. You will lose a lot of tackle and equipment over time.  I have lost three very nice set ups through my own negligence it still hurt.

in casting while the top piece came off, it slid down the line and smacked into the metal, the force breaking my mainline and leaving my rod free in the water

On 3/1/2021 at 1:35 PM, lakelad said:

I was thinking the same thing, if I broke someone else's rod I'd be replacing it for sure, that's just the done (right) thing yeh?

yes, we agreed for him to pay a little over half of what the whole rod is worth (all that he has to spare at the moment) and throw in a few packets of softies as well for the trouble

• Like 1

5 hours ago, little fisho said:

in casting while the top piece came off, it slid down the line and smacked into the metal, the force breaking my mainline and leaving my rod free in the water

yes, we agreed for him to pay a little over half of what the whole rod is worth (all that he has to spare at the moment) and throw in a few packets of softies as well for the trouble

Brother things happen next time user x wants to use your rod remember this episode forgiven not forgotten