Hopeless plan B produces quality

dirvin21

With all the rain on the coast and seems everywhere else Amy and I decided to head west to our cod spot for a quick overnighter. Recently started using the Deckee app. I have to say it's great for planning a trip with weather even out west, as it was there was basically no rain predicted for our destination. After driving 6 hours through terrential rain we arrived at Kwiambal and found the river to resemble chocolate milk unfortunetly the rain upstream had made the river unfishable, a bit dejected we got back in the car and headed back to Ashford to check the river at Wells crossing, unbelievably the water was clear and looking great (we wored out the dirty water came from a creek that runs back near Inverell). I didn't have any confidence in this spot because it's easy access only 7km from town.

After my last cod trip being plagued by yellabelly miss hits, I'd packed a light rod and 3.5inch zman grubz to settle the score. After 7 hours of driving we wasted no time in hitting the water 

P1010857.thumb.JPG.dd16be1a0a802ed6797d733b44da9828.JPG

we paddled a fair way up the pool which goes a long way with the aim to fish our way back, I really wanted a yellabelly on this trip so pulled out the light rod (my favourite bream setup), second cast in the middle of nothing slow rolling the grub along the bottom it gets nailed, the drag instantly screams, I knew it was a good fish, it played deep for awhile and luckily never really went for the timber nearby, and wehn I finally caught a glimpse of it I nearly crapped myself when I saw the size of the cod that I'd hooked on 6lb braid and leader, we played wind in scream out for awhile until I finally managed to work over to a gravel spit and get out of the yak and beach the beast in the shallows, there was some fist pumping

P1010851.thumb.JPG.b28114f70cd3f3a1664fc1890bcb2f82.JPG

a 73cm cod built like a tank on 6lb, a couple of quick pics and off he went to terrorise some other unsuspecting fisho. I soon decided to switch to the heavier gear and target cod, the cod didn't really play the game with the bigger plastics, I had a couple of bumps and teased a small cod into having a hit by dangling a plastic in it's face, poor Amy couldn't even tempt a hit.

Making our way back along I kept casting alternating between the the heavy and light set-ups, using the heavier gear working along waht looked like a prime cod snag I was snapped from a daydream by a hard knock and screaming run, called it for a big cod and couldn't believe it when I spotted a cracking yella under the yak, I wanted this fish so bad and was absoloutely pumped when it was in the net

P1010860.thumb.JPG.89d0a83082f9fa02d63bdfac22179c5a.JPG

My main aim for the trip was a big yella an absolute tank for a river fish, by this stage Amy was suffering from a major cast of fishing jealousy, but she kept her cool and kept casting, 

with a yella caught Amy switched to her light set-up a little 1-3kg yak raider, what followed was the most entertaining thing I've seen in years, I'd made a joke about her hooking a cod on said set-up and it happened, the fish dragged her into the trees at high speed and everytime she dragged it out it ran back in, but eventually with some very impressive fish fighting skill Amy had her fish to the net

P1010873.thumb.JPG.39ad8e9eafaf6213c73ecfab025d6685.JPG

a beautiful cod for Amy to break the doughnut, we switched to surface for awhile and had a couple of insane strikes but with the sun starting to fade we headed back to camp with smiles all round, we'd both caught fish and quality fish.

P1010885.thumb.JPG.4d2833411f5070f04d9f5ce6d8760b2c.JPG

can't beat a good sunset on the river 

P1010892.thumb.JPG.76e58c919cbcd48fd125911ff9f6f6fc.JPG

and chillaxing with a beverage 

We were back on the yaks at sunrise hoping to add a few more to the tally

P1010897.thumb.JPG.827597f2b20e75ef824619755c1b4959.JPG

we fished surface, small and big plastics but the fishing was slow, finally i got a solid take on the big plastics and again couldn't believe it

P1010901.thumb.JPG.0c30eb659a4f8350e5a28ed4f9f6a6e7.JPG

another nice yellabelly not as big as the first but still a very nice fish, we had a few more hits after that but no ore hook-ups so it was decided to pack-up and hopefully have a cast for a trout on the way home.

We only fished one trout spot but they didn't disappoint, there were small trout everywhere we only landed a few but we hooked up nearly every castP1010907.thumb.JPG.7bbeaed24f731f67b140d71f0fa0f7e3.JPGthe trout were a good end to what we call a "date weekend". 

It was a funny weekend of fishing, the cod were caught on lures aimed at yellabelly and the yellas ate cod lures, although having now felt the power of river yellas I'm rethinking using 6lb to target them.

cheers for reading 

Dave

• Like 12

What better way to go out for a date than chasing and catching some quality fish in a pristine location Dave and Amy. Plenty of huge "river yellas" up there too and there's no saying what the Cod or Yellas will hit, lure wise. 

An excellent report and great pictures of some of New England's finest countryside.

Cheers, bn

• Like 1