1st day of Autumn and first "outside" go in the boat

StuWard

Bought a 4.9M Savage Bay Cruiser second hand just before Christmas. Absolutely loving the fishing trips around Lake Illawarra. 

Since we bought her though i have just not been able to find a weekend with decent weather. 

The nice days come and i'm on shift for Marine Rescue ! At least i get on the water.

This weekend was fabulous, but guess what ? Yup family duties to attend to. The weather has holding resonably till Monday arvo, so i booked the day off work and the missus and i took her out for our first trip in the deep blue.

Out of Port Kembla Harbour at around 10:00 after getting the kids to school. 

We stuck to the eastern harbour wall for a little while hoping that there maybe some squid to catch, no joy there. 

As we drifted south on the wind the missus hooked up to her first Ocean fish. A scorpion fish !!.

Netted and carefully dehooked for release. Quickly she was onto her second, i was still rigging !!

Another Scorpion on the shallower structure ( 8-9M down ).

After this i thought we might run North and look for something on the troll. After only around 3 mins a reel was screaming off and a Bonito landed for bait. 

off we go again and almost immediately another screaming reel, this time Lou lands a Kingy, just over 60cm so back in it goes.

After a short trip another screamer, this time a bigger fish and  she lands a Salmon ( please correct me if i'm wrong ) ? This was too much fun, and we threw it back in to fight anothter day. 

We even encountered a shark of about 1.5M. See if you can see the Dorsal in the photo 

We made it up as far as the reef a couple of K's off wollongong lighthouse, but by now the wind was getting up a bit and we were fidning it very difficult to hold anywhere. 

I did catch a Sgt Baker !!!

We then took a slow an steady troll back to PK harbour, no more pick ups, but a great day out on the water in what ended up pretty mediocre conditions. 

Can't wait to get out on the glassy days 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

5.jpg

Edited by StuWard
  • Like 12

21 minutes ago, Smobaby said:

A great day on the water with fish in the new baby. Plenty of areas to explore there. At dusk you will see plenty of sharks patrolling that area.

The shark didn't bother us at all. 

There certainly is a lot of ocean out there to explore. 

Hopefully i can find some decent spots to drop a line 

56 minutes ago, dunc333 said:

i luved the bit dropped the kids at school so lets go fishing ,thanks great pics as well ,and yes hard to find one glassy day a week cheers dunc333

1 hour ago, StuWard said:

The shark didn't bother us at all. 

There certainly is a lot of ocean out there to explore. 

Hopefully i can find some decent spots to drop a line 

Head southeast out of port to 140 150ft there is a big reef out there get some fresh squid and those red rock cod are top eating if you get a decent size one they call them poor mans lobster.

1 hour ago, Tunastrike11 said:

Head southeast out of port to 140 150ft there is a big reef out there get some fresh squid and those red rock cod are top eating if you get a decent size one they call them poor mans lobster.

Thanks Tunastrike11

140-150 ft southeast of the Port entrance ? is that what you meant ?

Excellent report the scorpion fish actually are good eating. It looks like you know your stuff so I guess you did not get stung they are notorious for painful stings.  The best is to see a a a pair out who both enjoy the fishing.

This eating of Red Rockcod, has been brought up many times, plenty call them "poor mans Lobster" and there's been a dozen ways to cook them, I personally don't think they taste anything like Lobster, (not even frozen supermarket lobsters) the flesh return is small, the fillet curls up into a ball when cooked, plus they are ugly as well, I toss them all back, although I don't catch many.

6 hours ago, noelm said:

This eating of Red Rockcod, has been brought up many times, plenty call them "poor mans Lobster" and there's been a dozen ways to cook them, I personally don't think they taste anything like Lobster, (not even frozen supermarket lobsters) the flesh return is small, the fillet curls up into a ball when cooked, plus they are ugly as well, I toss them all back, although I don't catch many.

If you can catch them around the 30cm mark (does not happen often), skin the fillets and they are good pan fried.

So far, so good, have not been stung by any in my fishing times of over 60 years.

Great photos and a good report.

Red Rock cod have to handled  dry carefully, I also handled them for years without getting stung but one time my mate got stung and was intense pain for quite a while. Since then I treat them with more respect.

On 3/2/2021 at 8:33 PM, StuWard said:

Thanks Tunastrike11

140-150 ft southeast of the Port entrance ? is that what you meant ?

yes southeast out of port entrance 140 to 150ft everything out there good reds mowies pigfish etc just dont use heavy lines 20lb mono is fine good luck.

A very good report Stu and Lou. It's always a real pain that you're busy when the weather's good and available when it's not. Great that you managed to get a few fish and have a day out on the water. I think the sharks fin is about 1/4 way down, dead centre of the pic. Had some fun with a slightly bigger Mako when out with Pickles. Hope you get to wet a line more often. Cheers, bn

On 3/5/2021 at 7:29 PM, PaddyT said:

well done-you might find that the fish your wife is holding as a salmon not a king.

We weren't sure to be honest, the smaller one looked a bit kingy to be, but if its a Salmon, its all good. 

We are just happy to bring in rod benders !!! :)

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 8:19 PM, big Neil said:

A very good report Stu and Lou. It's always a real pain that you're busy when the weather's good and available when it's not. Great that you managed to get a few fish and have a day out on the water. I think the sharks fin is about 1/4 way down, dead centre of the pic. Had some fun with a slightly bigger Mako when out with Pickles. Hope you get to wet a line more often. Cheers, bn

You got it Neil. Was only a small Shark, but very exciting to see one. 

Looking forward to getting out again