A day fishing without wetting a line

noelm

Last Sunday the weather was great, my wife suggested we go crabbing in Lake Illawarra, so I loaded the tinny, grabbed some rods and bait, my grandson wanted to come too (14) we launched at Windang and the tide was raging (huge tide, full moon) we went under the bridge, water was crystal clear, up the channel into the lake, my wife asked to go over to Tallawarra for "a look" went from there to Berkeley, hooned around a bit, then over to Primbee to have a look at the huge Caravan/mobile home things, then back into the channel, zig zagging between the 500 boats fishing there. Back under the bridge, down to the entrance, out into the ocean, around Windang Island, back into the channel and the ramp, long day without putting a bait on a hook, or a crab trap in the water, but we all had great fun.

Edited by noelm
  • Like 8

44 minutes ago, noelm said:

Last Sunday the weather was great, my wife suggested we go crabbing in Lake Illawarra, so I loaded the tinny, grabbed some rods and bait, my grandson wanted to come too (14) we launched at Windang and the tide was raging (huge tide, full moon) we went under the bridge, water was crystal clear, up the channel into the lake, my wife asked to go over to Tallawarra for "a look" went from there to Berkeley, hooned around a bit, then over to Primbee to have a look at the huge Caravan/mobile home things, then back into the channel, zig zagging between the 500 boats fishing there. Back under the bridge, down to the entrance, out into the ocean, around Windang Island, back into the channel and the ramp, long day without putting a bait on a hook, or a crab trap in the water, but we all had great fun.

At least you were armed & ready even if it didnt eventuate :thumbup:

A friend of a friend has a boat but when he goes out he doesnt take a rod or anything & just cruises around & swim........................strange man.........................:whistling: 😂

25 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

It’s not always about the fishing! Just being on the water sometimes is enough for the soul. 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Then how come whenever I go on one of those xmas party harbour cruises I'm thinking........... dam I wish I had a fishing rod with me :biggrin2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yep, it was a fantastic day, no wind, we stopped down near the entrance for a while and went for a bit of a walk, then "paddled" on the sand flat and generally just fooled around, it was fun to just go boating.

• Like 1

The wife and I had some great days doing similar in my Hornet.

We'd shoot across St georges Basin and putter (4 knot limit) down Sussex Inlet, stopping off for a coffee before continuing down to the entrance. We'd generally go when there was a westerly blowing and if it was calm enough, we'd cross the bar and cruise along Bherwerre and Caves Beach right in close and stop off at Summercloud Bay for a swim.

It was a great way to spend a day and did the boat good to give the motor a long run.

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 2

• noelm changed the title to A day fishing without wetting a line
12 minutes ago, Yowie said:

I could not do that, I would have a line in the water at some point in time.

The intention was to fish and crab, but because it was so flat, and nice and warm, we just zoomed around sight seeing, might do it again soon, but take more food and drinks.

I should add, there was lots of crab trap floats in the lake, there's plenty of good crabs being caught, funny how jet skis owners don't seem to be able to read the 4knot speed limit signs.

Edited by noelm

2 hours ago, noelm said:

I should add, there was lots of crab trap floats in the lake, there's plenty of good crabs being caught, funny how jet skis owners don't seem to be able to read the 4knot speed limit signs.

They are going too fast to read the signs. 😂

• Like 2

Sounds like a great day out I love fishing but I also love being in the boat.

Would be great if there were more places to pull up and get a coffee or use the dunny. Any suggestions for Sydeny Harbour ? 

On 3/3/2021 at 8:17 PM, blaxland said:

Sounds like a great day out I love fishing but I also love being in the boat.

Would be great if there were more places to pull up and get a coffee or use the dunny. Any suggestions for Sydeny Harbour ? 

I agree @blaxland I have always said that opportunity was lacking! Wonder if anyone has done a list of places to fish near amenities and coffee/takeaway places?

On 3/3/2021 at 10:07 AM, Scratchie said:

It’s not always about the fishing! Just being on the water sometimes is enough for the soul. 

cheers scratchie!!! 

That’s what I say! I tried a lot of options on Tuesday, covered a lot of water and was really just happy driving the boat. The beakies, snaps and flatties didn’t want to play but at least I had a ball spinning up bonnies on ultra light gear. 😎 Good for the soul, this fishing stuff!

• Like 1