Boating safety- LifeCell *PLEASE READ*

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

Over the recent weeks I’ve had a lot of discussions around boating safety. This has made me take a look heavily at my own safety equipment and plan should anything happen whilst out on the water. 
Whilst it is compulsory to wear a life jacket crossing a coastal bar, at night, when solo, in open waters vessels less than 4.8m etc, this type of floatation only keeps the individual afloat, then what? 

Here’s a question for you.........

If your vessel is about to sink and you only have 60 seconds to grab what you need to save you and your passengers life, would you be able to get everything you need in the panic? 

Now, I want you to actually have a really good think about where you keep all your safety equipment on your boat? Then think of the worst place that you travel if the boat was to sink. Could you grab all your safety gear whilst instructing others in that time? 

After rescuing those four spear fisherman a few weeks ago, I’ve had many thoughts that at any time that could be me. I’m on the water probably more than most. So for me it was a no brainer to invest in the LifeCell. 

The entire point to this post is that even us experienced fishos become complacent when it comes to safety (me included) but I just want everyone to have a think about your safety gear and your plan should the worst case scenario present itself. 
Don’t have the attitude that “IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN TO ME”. 

Tight lines all, 

cheers scratchie!!! 

ED028BA5-ADC0-4EC2-9588-59965082681C.thumb.jpeg.d28706963db706adb2bf755e16b0418e.jpeg

P.S. it’s also a good storage place for your wallet, keys phone etc!!! 🤙

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Great post Scratchie.  I have been thinking about this as well and even more so since you rescued those people.     I like the idea of the safety cell and also like the idea of a waist belt life jacket with PLB.   Or maybe a quality jacket over the back of the seat so its quick to grab.

Lately there hasnt been much risk of the boat even getting wet though!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Smobaby said:

Should be part of the compulsory offshore safety equipment required.  Ordered one as well, cheap insurance. It may save your life.

Agree! From my understanding, other than a life jacket, you are not required to carry any other floatation device. 🤔

11 hours ago, Welster said:

Great post Scratchie.  I have been thinking about this as well and even more so since you rescued those people.     I like the idea of the safety cell and also like the idea of a waist belt life jacket with PLB.   Or maybe a quality jacket over the back of the seat so its quick to grab.

Lately there hasnt been much risk of the boat even getting wet though!

Thanks mate! And that can often be the problem right there. You haven’t been out for a while, keen to get back on the water. Check all your rods, lures, bait and motors working! Perfect ready to go! But have you checked your safety equipment? 

6 hours ago, Steve-o said:

You could carabiner an epirb to your lifejacket.

That’s an idea but probably not practical whilst fishing. 
On the LifeCell, you can also mount the epirb on the side as well for more room inside! 👌

1 hour ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Perfect and should be compulsory

Thanks @Scratchie

Mention fishraider when you order too :)

I think so too! And definitely mention fishraider when you place an order! 

• Scratchie changed the title to Boating safety- LifeCell *PLEASE READ*

If you are separated from the boat, such as it getting swamped or otherwise sunk, these gizmos don't seem like they will help.

Maybe if you run out of fuel you can open it and launch a flare, but if a bunch of you are thrown from the boat it's not gonna save your life. It's gonna still be in the boat.

17 hours ago, Steve-o said:

If you are separated from the boat, such as it getting swamped or otherwise sunk, these gizmos don't seem like they will help.

Maybe if you run out of fuel you can open it and launch a flare, but if a bunch of you are thrown from the boat it's not gonna save your life. It's gonna still be in the boat.

As smobaby said, they have a bracket designed for that very nature of incident. In the event that you are separated from your boat, I hope that your at least wearing a life jacket.  
You can never plan for every single incident that can happen on the water and going overboard is one of those rare instances. However, the LifeCell will cover you for a lot more situations than most! 

16 hours ago, Smobaby said:

The mounting bracket provided wiht the life cell is designed so the cell will float off the bracket when submerged, therefore you could swim over to the floating cell.

Exactly 👌

15 hours ago, dunc333 said:

i reckon maritime would be stoked to see the life cell front and centre when they do a safety check....

They love them! 

To add, in the event that you do have to abandon ship fast and maybe you can’t grab your life jacket, these Cells provide floatation for 2-4 persons!  I know what I’m grabbing! 

FE8E497F-8F7C-4AD6-B345-F4B72E356666.thumb.jpeg.b04c29e5f6afc35511a8f432946d37d5.jpeg

These 4 blokes are glad they did! 

I have recently decided to get back into bushwalking and, being 67, my sons told me that should get a PLB. So I did.

I wear it on me whenever I go out for a walk.  I recently saw the article below. The sailor was lost overboard in remote waters in the Arafura Sea. His PLB saved his life. 

Coincidentally, I have  the same PLB. It is quite small, very light and comes with a clip to attach to your life jacket.

Worth getting IMO.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-24/rescued-sailor-nigel-fox-praised-by-emergency-crews/13184970

KB

Edited by Koalaboi
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Koalaboi said:

I have recently decided to get back into bushwalking and, being 67, my sons told me that should get a PLB. So I did.

I wear it on me whenever I go out for a walk.  I recently saw the article below. The sailor was lost overboard in remote waters in the Arafura Sea. His PLB saved his life. 

Coincidentally, I have  the same PLB. It is quite small, very light and comes with a clip to attach to your life jacket.

Worth getting IMO.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-24/rescued-sailor-nigel-fox-praised-by-emergency-crews/13184970

KB

That’s great KB. Certainly an option. Although these cells are a floatation device for multiple people, hold your epirb and flares. 

Thanks for this post, Jeff. 🙏 I’ve been thinking about getting one since I heard that story. Do you know if anyone in the Bay sells them? I’m struggling to figure out where I can mount it in my boat. My console’s taken up with rod storage and it looks too high to mount on the face of my front or rear casting platform. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Thanks for this post, Jeff. 🙏 I’ve been thinking about getting one since I heard that story. Do you know if anyone in the Bay sells them? I’m struggling to figure out where I can mount it in my boat. My console’s taken up with rod storage and it looks too high to mount on the face of my front or rear casting platform. 🤷‍♂️

Not sure in the bay Baz, I’ll chase that up! But you can definitely order them from the website I posted! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Not sure in the bay Baz, I’ll chase that up! But you can definitely order them from the website I posted! 

Yeah, I know I can order online. I just want to look at one and figure out where I can mount it. 🤷‍♂️

37 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Yeah, I know I can order online. I just want to look at one and figure out where I can mount it. 🤷‍♂️

It doesn’t necessarily need to be mounted Baz. Just an easy accessible spot is all that’s required 👍

• Like 1

• Scratchie pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/6/2021 at 3:33 PM, Koalaboi said:

I see the PLB as a necessity for that situation KB, most offshore style life jackets have the pocket for PLB/knife/strobe. That man was lucky to have his knife and PLB on his person and accessible when he got knocked off the boat.. scary stuff.. It's mandated for offshore yacht racing now, and PLB's are good value, I remember paying almost $2k for one to do the Sydney to Hobart years ago and it was bulkier.

The life cell looks great for the situation where you have enough time to grab it, and much better than the plastic crate I've got hidden under the bow on my boat.. time to do some online shopping and pick one up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I've sort of made my own, by using a roll-top waterproof Sealine bag with the necessary bits/pieces. I also never go anywhere without wearing a life jacket and I've got a PLB attached to it. Like Berleyguts, I'd struggle to be able to mount the actual Life Cell on my boat. 

I also carry a Zoleo when fishing inland for those "non life-threatening" emergencies like broken legs etc. 

Mat

Edited by Maccam

• 1 year later...

G'day all! DECKEE has just organised an exclusive deal on all Life Cell safety kits for DECKEE and Fishraider members. The prices are only available until this Thursday 23rd February at Midnight AEST, so you need to get in quick.

As @Scratchie has said so well above, it really is a must-have to invest in one of these and take safety on the water seriously.

Get yours here: shop.deckee.com/collections/life-cell

Life Cell M.gif

• Like 2