Mac Tuna

blaxland

Thursday left Roseville about six and set off for the heads a mate told me of good hook ups of bonito trolling towards Bondi. I love bonnies but didnt want to waste the chance at Mahi Mahi so decided to head to the Sydney fad. At 40mtrs saw bait fish jumping/ fleeing so put out two plugs. Got a hook up but lost it so trolled the rest of the way. About 1 km short of the FAD rod goes off plenty of weight after a short fight boated a nice Mac tuna.  50 mts from the fad hooked an even better specimen which took some time to land and went 60+ cm and thick as. Didnt sound or see any dollies, about three boats in the area one spot locked the others drifting so headed in. Got 2 nice calamari at obelisk to round off the day. Out of quriosity I checked out rosebay ramp and found 15min parking with a cafe/sandwich shop. 

Mac.jpg

Rosev.jpg

Edited by blaxland
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, GordoRetired said:

You should have kept going to the Wave Rider on Thursday, we got Kings and a Mahi Mahi out there. Wonder if it was you I saw by the FAD on my way back past to the Foul Grounds. I was in a 4.8 Quintrex with a Burgundy bimini. 

The black and white boat in the rose bay pick is mine I did not see a burgundy canvas.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Thanks for posting that. We caught a small Tuna on Thursday and were not sure what it was, now I know it was a Frigate Mackerel  🙂

51 minutes ago, mgj said:

Frigates have a different dorsal fin pattern to a Mac Tuna

Cheers 

Mark

that is true- there are actually 2 species of frigate mackeral- the std model and the maru (or bullet tuna)-if you see them side by side they are different -maru's are a bit  smaller and a bit more cylindrical , MAck Tuna grow a hell of a lot bigger- ive caught them to 10 kgs and they have a different body shape as well as the pattern. They dont always have the spots but it is a pretty reliable indicator-either way lots of fun if you are not chasing something better.

23 hours ago, blaxland said:

Thanks for the ID how do you tell the difference?

Mac tuna and Frigates have no stripes on their lower half of body.

While the difference between macs and frigates are that Mac tunas have 3-4 spots under the pectoral fins. but i guess others have explained the differences by now.

23 hours ago, xerotao said:

Mac tuna and Frigates have no stripes on their lower half of body.

While the difference between macs and frigates are that Mac tunas have 3-4 spots under the pectoral fins. but i guess others have explained the differences by now.

Yes I can call them by the right name now but they still eat well lol

• Like 1