advice on Makita cordless drill chargers.

leonardgid

hello raiders , money is tight ,  don't want to  buy something used  and find out later that it is not suitable for my needs , the question is on Makita  battery 14v  charger's , there were many different models of  14 v cordless drills  and they all came out with their own chargers , if you had one  or have experience  on these things , as long as the actual battery fits a charger  and it is of the same voltage  type  will it charge  the battery  ?  or do i have to find the specific 14 v charger for that model  drill?  thank you  for your advice ,   

IMG_20210309_212900.jpg

IMG_20210309_212000.jpg

You have a 50-50 chance of it fitting, either it will OR it won't. If you are unlucky enough for it not to be compatible as long as it is the same voltage you can use miniature jumper leads, the type you use with multimetres etc just be careful to connect power to pawer etc .

Frank

What you have to be concerned about is the the battery matches the chagers charging current & battery type & voltage??

Batterries have been know to explode when charged by either the wrong charger type or overcharged because the charger cannot sense the battery is fully charged because its not the same manifacture as the charger!

very good points , i will be charging them   somewhere  where they will not start a fire if that's the case , reason i am saying this is because  i don't know where the new batteries are made ,  as for the charger  it will be an original used makita 14 v charger ,  the only thing is i don't know what model  14 v charger  it will be ,

24 minutes ago, Welster said:

Im pretty sure it will be fine.   We have always used makita products and we would put any battery in any charger it fits regardless of what set it was from. 

OH!  well that answers it ,  i will look for a cheap one  online ,       thank you Welster.

Edited by leonardgid

11 minutes ago, leonardgid said:

chance i don't want to take .

It looks like there are spec stickers on the bottom of the batteries, can you take a closer picture of it & also a better picture of the charger spec panel.

Edited by kingie chaser

3 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

It looks like there are spec stickers on the bottom of the batteries, can you take a closer picture of it & also a better picture of the charger spec panel.

photos posted 

If you look at the photos below you will see one important thing that you need to check before you try charging any battery and that is that the polarity of the charger matches the polarity of the battery.

This becomes even more important when using non OEM batteries + just make sure you have + to + and - to - otherwise something will go bang !

This charger can do two types of batteries which can be seen on top of the charger itself and although this one is li-ion the same principles apply to Ni-cad or Nimh.

Also note that cheap replacement batteries may not have the inbuilt thermal cut out ( this is the third terminal on the battery which can be seen at 12 o’clock position in the charger socket and on the battery )so they can catch fire .

somewhere on the charger it should tell you which types of battery it can charge as seen on the label of a Ryobi charger ( bottom photo)

B899707B-3CF8-45BE-9876-465EC7EF0651.thumb.jpeg.a12bc21de95966c63d59d5f713e6634f.jpeg0191374C-D0F1-4FD9-8A51-205E15D9ABE2.thumb.jpeg.98332f3fe80d3091afe34aa49655eca4.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XD351 said:

If you look at the photos below you will see one important thing that you need to check before you try charging any battery and that is that the polarity of the charger matches the polarity of the battery.

This becomes even more important when using non OEM batteries + just make sure you have + to + and - to - otherwise something will go bang !

This charger can do two types of batteries which can be seen on top of the charger itself and although this one is li-ion the same principles apply to Ni-cad or Nimh.

Also note that cheap replacement batteries may not have the inbuilt thermal cut out ( this is the third terminal on the battery which can be seen at 12 o’clock position in the charger socket and on the battery )so they can catch fire .

somewhere on the charger it should tell you which types of battery it can charge as seen on the label of a Ryobi charger ( bottom photo)

B899707B-3CF8-45BE-9876-465EC7EF0651.thumb.jpeg.a12bc21de95966c63d59d5f713e6634f.jpeg0191374C-D0F1-4FD9-8A51-205E15D9ABE2.thumb.jpeg.98332f3fe80d3091afe34aa49655eca4.jpeg

Pretty much what I have been saying, with the exception of the polarity which isa great point!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2021 at 4:41 PM, XD351 said:

Agree.

I have many different cordless tools (brands, types and voltages) and I would use only dedicated charger designed for the same type battery type.