Naming your new boat...

M1100S

So the new boat arrives hopefully next month and have been thinking i need to name my boat as never named my old boat anything .

Do you need to tie the boat name to your registration. I have myself an marine rescue Id with solander ( SBP 540 ) so i guess if i name my boat something i should tell them so they can map my ID to the boat name, but what about the NSW registration ?

Also is there somewhere to check if there is a database of names.... as i assume 2 boats cannot have the same name right 

Edited by M1100S

Im a pom and never been bothered about boat names, simply go off the rego numbers with marine rescue. I use the marine rescue app to log on and allow them to track my vessel vis my phone. If you do feel you need to name the boat be sure you pick something you can be happy with for a while. 

I’m in NZ and my call sign (same as your rego ID numbers I think)is the main identifier for my boat, heaps of boats have the same name, but I have learned not to give my boats a hard to understand name..just in case the shit hits the fan and I need to repeat boat name and call sign on VHF during an event.

cheers!

I have owned countless numbers of boats over a very long time. I have only had 3 of them with names that I can remember. When I was a youngster I obtained ( somehow ) the nick name " NIMROD " and it has stuck with me all my life. I have named 2 of the 3 boats " NIMROD " one being a 5.3 Savage Lancer , still in the family.

lancer.thumb.JPG.54746edcac344254b7680a96b51cb05d.JPG

The other my bass boat a 4.9 Quintrex Jon Boat which had the name as the registration number with a N on the end for NSW.

35100654_carpetalternative.thumb.jpg.025cbc377b1fd9f9ce56a522c33329f6.jpg

The 3rd boat with a name was the half cab which was named RC1 meaning " the arsey one " 

308332761_boattrailer5.thumb.jpg.70f4de8e17611cd66bef7949b7a4b89d.jpg

1614786019_pongrass1.thumb.jpg.2a2b294f9d863d33f8f5a19c389e1eae.jpg

Haven't thought about a name for my current 14 ft tinnie but IF I were to name it , it would probably be " NIMROD " .

Frank

• Like 1

Hi

Name you boat what ever you want. Yes two boats can have the same name. Your rego is how RMS track you for rego payments. Marine Rescue track me by my call sign CC796. I think when I sign up with the App, my boats name (StressFree) is in the  photo and its in the marine rescue app as the name of my "Profile" in case you  have more than boat. I have heard people use their boats name when they call up for radio checks. In my case, I'd use my call sign. I guess if you are using VHF, then you need a call sign, although I'm not 100% sure about that.

@frankS Love the name Nimrod!

@M1100S what is your new boat?

On 3/18/2021 at 7:29 PM, antonywardle said:

Hi

Name you boat what ever you want. Yes two boats can have the same name. Your rego is how RMS track you for rego payments. Marine Rescue track me by my call sign CC796. I think when I sign up with the App, my boats name (StressFree) is in the  photo and its in the marine rescue app as the name of my "Profile" in case you  have more than boat. I have heard people use their boats name when they call up for radio checks. In my case, I'd use my call sign. I guess if you are using VHF, then you need a call sign, although I'm not 100% sure about that.

@frankS Love the name Nimrod!

@M1100S what is your new boat?

Will think of some name but will prob just stick with my marine rescue callsign if i need to call marine rescue.

I mainly use app too to login. 

New boat is going to be a stabicraft 2050....comes next month cannot wait

• Like 1