Anti live bait legislation to be tabled/proposed in Parliament this week

Emma Hurst is tabling some amendments to the animal cruelty bill which are going to include adding creatures such as squid and crabs as well as fish to the list of "live bait" animals. If successful this may lead to outlawing the use of ANY live bait for fishing or otherwise. 

Not saying this will be the case, but like other attempts to "positively change" our sport, another sneaky attempt to get something through with minimal publicity.

Bait shops who sell live bait such as nippers, worms and prawns would be greatly affected, as would those who use live squid, fish or crabs. 

It's only a possibility, but everyone needs to be aware of the proposal

• Like 4

Part of the positives and negatives of living in a democrazy ("Z" intended).

Other countries have gone this way. I'd hate to take up fishing in Switzerland where you have to take a course to get a licence (not necessarily a bad thing) and catch and release is banned. I think live bait was also banned. Some further reading: https://www.urbantrout.net/fishing-in-switzerland-its-complicated-but-heres-your-insiders-guide-to-the-rules-and-regulations/#:~:text=In Switzerland fishing from the,and no exam is required.

Edited by DerekD

51 minutes ago, Fergofisher said:

Seems correct but even if it happens (Which it won't) no one will follow that silly suggestion. What's next, you can't use a rod?

If the more radical elements get their way yes. They are totally opposed to anyone who enjoys outdoor sports. Hunting, fishing, four wheel driving etc. They want us all to be vegan...being vegan is actually OK but forcing people to conform to your belief isn't. Especially when, not only does it do no harm, its a healthy lifestyle that make you appreciate and want to protect what we have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If these clowns are truly serious about such things they should contemplate the idea of preventing animals killing and eating other animals. I wonder if they realise that eating a carrot or a lettuce IS ACTUALLY EATING A LIVING ORGANISM...

What next?? bn

• Like 5

1 minute ago, big Neil said:

If these clowns are truly serious about such things they should contemplate the idea of preventing animals killing and eating other animals. I wonder if they realise that eating a carrot or a lettuce IS ACTUALLY EATING A LIVING ORGANISM...

What next?? bn

BN, these people do not conform to common sense!

If they had their way we would all be eating vegan diets & heating our homes from our own methane 😬

They dont have any form of realism in their thinking, just an objective.

• Like 4

This will remain a constant agenda with the left and extreme "greens"(none of whom seem to have a real environmental agenda at all-just a watermelon one)-the really disturbing thing is that the LNP have already tried-and appear ready to try again to reduce our access to fishing. Looks like im writing letters -AGAIN-time for a face to face meeting with the local member methinks.

• Like 3

Guest Guest123456789

This is an attempt by a micro party to get publicity. They want a page 3 article in major newspapers and a debate on q&a. The worst thing we can do is give it any oxygen. 

Quietly write to your local state member voicing your opposition to this amendment.

On 3/15/2021 at 8:00 AM, DerekD said:

Part of the positives and negatives of living in a democrazy ("Z" intended).

Other countries have gone this way. I'd hate to take up fishing in Switzerland where you have to take a course to get a licence (not necessarily a bad thing) and catch and release is banned. I think live bait was also banned. Some further reading: https://www.urbantrout.net/fishing-in-switzerland-its-complicated-but-heres-your-insiders-guide-to-the-rules-and-regulations/#:~:text=In Switzerland fishing from the,and no exam is required.

Maybe Switzerland should have stuck to banking and yodelling? Just saying like...

bn

We should all write to our local member to express our concern about this.

There are about 1 million fishers in NSW, that is a lot of votes and I'm sure they will take notice .

a) Number of Recreational Fishers NSW had an estimated 998,501 ± 33,686 recreational fishers (Figure 1). The proportion of the NSW population that participated in recreational fishing was 17.1%. (Figure 2). Almost 24% of the NSW male population went fishing while about 10% of females fished. The participation rate in NSW country regions was twice as high as the rate observed in the main metropolitan area.

Many years ago, the green retards tried to stop the pumping of nippers at Maianbar, but it was not allowed. Today there are still millions of nippers to be collected - the logical thing is a bag limit. If I cannot catch a feed with 30 nippers, then there are no fish about. (the limit is higher than 30)

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, wrxhoon1 said:

We should all write to our local member to express our concern about this.

There are about 1 million fishers in NSW, that is a lot of votes and I'm sure they will take notice .

a) Number of Recreational Fishers NSW had an estimated 998,501 ± 33,686 recreational fishers (Figure 1). The proportion of the NSW population that participated in recreational fishing was 17.1%. (Figure 2). Almost 24% of the NSW male population went fishing while about 10% of females fished. The participation rate in NSW country regions was twice as high as the rate observed in the main metropolitan area.

Trouble is that getting rec fishers to stand together is like herding cats-and the pollies know it-they got a bit of a shock when the SFFP managed to organise an effective protest against the Sydney lockouts-but have a look at the rest of the state -its still the same, no changes to locked out areas (a hell of a lot of which only came into being because of ideology and have never been reviewed) . The LNP would rather work with an extreme left wing party like the AJP than work with the SFFP and this is bloody sad, hence why we simply should not vote for the majors. The LNP used to stand for individual freedom but not any more.

I’ve written to all the MPs, including my local member to oppose the proposal. Let’s take action and write and agitate and bring a response as the “Stop The Lockout” did. There needs to be empirical, evidence based data to change my mind. There is much evidence to suggest fish do not feel pain in the same way mammals do and such to my mind, can’t be misconstrued “cruelty”, (which is deliberately inflicting pain with the intent to derive  enjoyment or pleasure in the suffering it produces)

Edited by Pickles
Added to argument.
  • Like 3

Well done Bob-i actually doubt animals feel pain in the same way we do at all-most wild animals lead short, sharp , brutish (if you want to anthropomorphise) lives, i was listening to a podcast earlier this year from the USA about wolves -apparently the biggest killers of wolves are other wolves-as soon as they become weak they are killed by the pack, this applies even more in the aquatic world, watch what happens when a dog eats a bunny, or a lion eats an antelope from the rump up- the prey animal goes into a state of trance and just dies, animals are not people and they are not immortal either. Having said all of that , treat all creatures with respect, taking the life of another creature should never be taken lightly.

• Like 4

Guest Guest123456789

I wonder how it would be policed? If fisheries ask you to wind in a line and there’s a live squid with a hook in it who’s to say it wasn’t ‘freshly caught’? And keeping squid in a live bait tank doesn’t mean they won’t be eaten.

The problem with clamping down too much is people will just say ‘stuff it I’m not following any of the rules’