jenk98

Anybody with the 12v 65lb geo-spot watersnake be able to shed some light on running time, battery setup, size of your boats, your application and your personal experience.

Looking at putting one on a 4.5m aluminium centre console, and would like to know how they stack up against the Minnkota in the 24v being a little cheaper or is worth spending a little extra money?

Predominately will be snapper fishing on inshore reefs.

5 hours ago, jenk98 said:

Anybody with the 12v 65lb geo-spot watersnake be able to shed some light on running time, battery setup, size of your boats, your application and your personal experience.

Looking at putting one on a 4.5m aluminium centre console, and would like to know how they stack up against the Minnkota in the 24v being a little cheaper or is worth spending a little extra money?

Predominately will be snapper fishing on inshore reefs.

If you do a forum search there is some info on here in conversations between all 3 most popular makes of electric motors, watersnake, Minnkota & motorguide.

You also would need to look at what is involved between going 12V vs 24V in your boats set up.

Unsure mate about the Geospot but i would recommend the 54lb ipilot Minn Kota for that size boat. I run a 54lb on my 4.75 Top ender and that holds fine in 3-4 knots of current offshore. Will be cheaper as well without having to get 2 110amp deep cycles to keep the 24v running..

If money isn't the issue, go nuts on the bigger gear, will get more time out of it with less effort. 

• Thanks 1

I had a 54lb waterdnake for 9yrs and didn't miss a beat.

Upgraded to a 65lb watersnake and its been back to them twice for repairs and twice I also had the plug for foot control sent to me because warranty has expired.

Lesson learnt the hard way.

Minn kota next for sure

• Thanks 1

I am currently on my 3rd Minnkota. Had a 12volt when they first came out - a manual deploy Rip Tide I think. Sold it with my 4.1 m tinny and had no problems. I had a 24v Terrova on my current 5.1m Quintrex and had it back for warranty repair twice, once for motor drive and second time for head unit replacement.
I currently have  a 24v Ulterra (auto deploy/ retrieve) and it has been repaired 4 times in 3 years, twice whilst out of warranty.  The last repair was a motor drive ($810). One month before I had to replace the hand unit ($420). 
Electric bow mounted motors have revolutionised my fishing, but I’m hanging out for Water Snake to ring out a 24 volt at a fraction of the price.

whilst Minn Kota are in the warranty period, the service is brilliant, but for the high price I think the warranty should be at least 3 years.

• Thanks 1

Guest Guest123456789

Had a minn kota 54lbs ipilot for 5 years, absolutely punished it and its still going.

The record a track function is a pain in the neck but. When it comes time to upgrade i'm getting the XI5 cos it integrates with my lowrance sounder and I can uploand tracks directly on the sounder which the motorguide will follow. Or I might see if minn kota will do a deal with a hummingbird sounder as they integrate with minn kota then sell the lowrance second hand.

Guest Guest123456789
On 3/17/2021 at 1:55 PM, onearmedfisho said:

yeah i would be going either a Motor Guide or Minn Kota. You could get away with a 55lb but you will need the 60"shaft NOT the 54"

+1. You can never have a shaft that’s too long.

• 1 year later...

im on my 3rd Geospot due to failure.

1st one was replaced without question after 1 month owning.

2nd one would turn on for a brief period then turn itself off. waiting on JV response as ive had it 6 months.

They work well for their price. Im on a 19ft runabout and holds ok in up to 10knot winds. 

Im guessing the dryer you can keep them the better. If you get a wave over the bow it can get wet. In the long run the salt will catch up with anything electrical i think.

• Like 1

I have the 65lb Watersnake Geo-spot. I have never managed to drain the battery in a full day of fishing.

2 Caveats:

1. Buy the foot pedal. It doesn't come with one. Absolutely necessary.

2. Buy the additional external GPS fitting. It goes a bit crazy sometimes ueing the one built into the head of the unit.

Other than that I am super happy with it for the price.