Deep Cycle Batteries

TK01

Hey guys

I discovered yesterday that I need 2 new 100AH batteries for my motorguide.  Just by pure coincidence I saw today that Aldi has 100AH 12v batteries for sale this weekend for $199 each!  Whaaat???  Could it be fate?  How did they know?

I don't mind the odd Aldi special buy but these things are about half the price of others so I'm wondering is it worth the punt or should I just pay the extra.  Any experience with these?

Cheers

1 hour ago, TK01 said:

Hey guys

I discovered yesterday that I need 2 new 100AH batteries for my motorguide.  Just by pure coincidence I saw today that Aldi has 100AH 12v batteries for sale this weekend for $199 each!  Whaaat???  Could it be fate?  How did they know?

I don't mind the odd Aldi special buy but these things are about half the price of others so I'm wondering is it worth the punt or should I just pay the extra.  Any experience with these?

Cheers

Well as someone who recently did a fair bit of research when buliding my 4x4 dual battery system with solar input I can tell you that there is no real measure or regulation in what any company "states" as being what is accurately produced when it comes down to any numbers other than what you can prove post sale!!

What is the type of battery & what is the battery weight??

Both of these actually can determine the amount of Ah capacity of a battery.

There is a lot to it, its not simple as what you might think.

Edited by kingie chaser

Brought a 90 amp hour deep cycle ( from Aldi in the special bin a year ago) to run the electric motor on the tinnie used consintaly and no problems. They can't afford to sell shit. Just not a recognised name brand in Australia.

1 hour ago, TK01 said:

Hey guys

Cheers

Maybe aldi has installed a listener on your phone like google and facebook. 

I was gonna give the aldi batteries a go but they werent on sale when i set up my triple battery set up in my 4wd. I dont see anything wrong with it. It could just be a rebranded battery from another company.

just curious. Why does your motorguide need 2x100ah batteries? In serial or parallel? 200ah/12v or 100ah/24v?

I would make sure you get to your local Aldi store pretty early on the day of the sale as each store only has so many of a selected item and they tend to sell out pretty quick.

I have bought several items from Aldi over the years and have ( so far ) not had a problem with anything I have bought from them. I wish they had a permanent tool store that had their stock at all times .

Frank

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TK01 said:

Yeah but it will keep it going for a full 3 days fishing without needing a charge so well worth it IMO.

So going back to the Aldi batteries, are they AGM's or deep cycles??

Its like the old Tv ad, oils aint oils, well batteries are the same.

The biggest thing I have learnt over the last 12 months is primarily battery weight will determine how many Ah they will be.

Anyone can make claims but who is substantiating thier claims??

Along with solar panels, batteries are a pretty much unregulated & no one is really keeping tabs on what claims companies put out! 

It is said that a proper AGM battery should weigh 300gr per Ah, so if those 100Ah Aldi batteries are 30kg then I would say they would be close to 100Ah.

For example I have seen a 170Ah AGM battery on ebay that weighs 31.3kg & another brand that also claims 170Ah to weigh 45kg.

Here ia a comparison I did a little while ago-

Giant 120Ah-27kg
Giant 140Ah-32.2kg
Century 125Ah-34kg
Kings 138Ah-35.4kg
Ebay(Mobi brand) 170Ah-31.2kg
Kickass 120Ah-31kg
Kickass 170Ah-45kg
Bocsh 120Ah-32kg
Power AGM 135Ah-34.6kg
US Battery 155Ah-39kg
Fullriver 120Ah-36.5kg
Fullriver 140Ah-43.3kg

Also the other reason why you may need dual batteries is that any battery should not be discharged below 50% of its available charge otherwise if over discharged the overall life of the battry is significantly reduced.

Most people would think 50% of a 12V battery would be 6V, wrong!

This is a state of charge chart 

12-v-Battery-State-Of-Charge-website.jpg.c7215310660b4c9c8b3b347c2e5f5b70.jpg

Part of the reason you need a decent battery monitoring system!

A lot of people I know are now moving to lithuim, for a couple of reasons.

One, they weigh 1/3 of a regular AGM battery of the same output.

Two, they are also able to use 80%(some even more) of thier usuable charge with no loss of life in the cycle over the 50% charge of an AGM.

The only problem is lithiums are 3 or 4 times the price of AGM's at the moment but they will come down eventually.

Edited by kingie chaser

2 minutes ago, frankS said:

Adrian. According to the cattledog they are 28.6 KG absorbed glass mat type 33cm x 17cm x 21.2cm.

So what does that tell you ?.

Frank

WelI dont have access to the "cattledog" but sounds pretty close to the theory then Frank.

Might be more like 95Ah?

I am just trying to give an overall picture to others what I have learnt in this instance to AGM's.

They can take it on board or not :thumbup:

Ended up burning the extra cash and getting expensive ones purely because I’m going fishing Friday- Sunday this weekend and don’t want to take a break to fight the Saturday morning Aldi enthusiasts.🤣

On 3/15/2021 at 6:18 PM, kingie chaser said:

Well as someone who recently did a fair bit of research when buliding my 4x4 dual battery system with solar input I can tell you that there is no real measure or regulation in what any company "states" as being what is accurately produced when it comes down to any numbers other than what you can prove post sale!!

What is the type of battery & what is the battery weight??

Both of these actually can determine the amount of Ah capacity of a battery.

There is a lot to it, its not simple as what you might think.

There is a documented test method that batteries are able to be tested to, it's called TS001.

We sell AGM's for fire systems and ALL must have TS001 and Activfire approval prior to being used. It guarantee's what you are buying.

General run of the mill deep cycles can essentially be whatever a manufacture wants to claim. As an example there is a company selling 130AH batteries that barely weigh 30kg's, our 100AH batteries weigh 30kg's and have been properly tested and certified. The more a battery weigh's the greater it's capacity is the general rule.

1 hour ago, TK01 said:

Ended up burning the extra cash and getting expensive ones purely because I’m going fishing Friday- Sunday this weekend and don’t want to take a break to fight the Saturday morning Aldi enthusiasts.🤣

Good luck with your project!