PORT STEPHENS - EMERGENCY UPDATE

mrsswordfisherman

@Scratchie HOPE EVERYONE OK THERE

⚠️⚠️ EMERGENCY UPDATE - PORT STEPHENS ⚠️⚠️
The Port Stephens area has been inundated with rainfall, with approximately 150mm of rainfall falling from 4am this morning.
The whole of the Port Stephens area has been affected, with the Tomaree and Tilligerry peninsulas being the worse impacted.
Dozens of roads and houses have been and remained flooded, with the road and bridge at Foreshore Drive, Soliders Point washed away. Foreshore Drive is closed and will remain closed indefinitely, with significant works required after the storm to reinstate the road.
Hunter water advises some residents in the corlette area are experiencing water outages due to damaged water pipes. At this stage, Hunter Water expects crews to restore water to these areas by 7:15pm. Please be advised this may change and with more significant rainfall expected, other areas may be impacted.
CURRENT SITUATION:
A coastal low is set to form within a deepening trough on Friday Morning and this will move very slowly from the north to the south throughout Friday.
The Bureau Of Meteorology warns that;
INTENSE RAINFALL which may lead to dangerous and life-threatening flash flooding may develop in areas of the Mid North Coast and northern Hunter districts as continued rainfall impacts the region. Roads are likely to be cut off by water, and there will be an increased risk of landslips over this period.
DAMAGING WINDS, averaging 60 to 70 km/h with peak gusts in excess of 90 km/h are likely to form on Friday along the coastal fringe as the low develops in the Mid North Coast, with the area of impact moving south by the evening.
❗️This weather event has only just started and the worst of the rainfall is yet to hit us. Throughout Friday and Saturday, we may receive 300-400mm of rainfall.
This will mean we will see rainfall like we have never seen before and we should expect large areas of Port Stephens to be impacted by severe localised and flash flooding.
Please, if you haven’t done so already, particularly in low lying areas, prepare your property for increased flooding and the potential for no power or water, should these services be impacted.
If you are in an area prone to flooding, it is recommended to move vehicles to higher ground and move items of value off the ground. Relocate to a different area if possible.
Please don’t drive through floodwater and avoid unnecessary travel if possible. Emergency services are already stretched.
For local road closures, please visit the Port Stephens Council website: https://www.portstephens.nsw.gov.au/.../road-closures-due...
For assistance in storms or floods, contact the SES on 132 500 or in emergency situations, contact 000.
May be an image of road and body of water

• Thanks 2

Yes, we’re certainly getting hammered! (As is most of the coast...). The good news is it looks like I’ve finally fixed my leaky roof after 4 insurance claims in 4 years! 😎 I still need to install 2 or 3 more down pipes, though, as the gutters can’t cope and I’ve had a little bit of water getting into the eaves and down a wall.

It looks like there are small trees growing in the middle of the road to work now. It will take 3 times longer to get to work on Saturday, I’m sure.

Stay safe, everyone!

PS. Some homes had no water. We had brown water... so I switched to bottled brown water... with bubbles! 🍺 😂 

2D2694A2-D219-4186-BD07-9F3575CB69AA.jpeg

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

PS. Some homes had no water. We had brown water... so I switched to bottled brown water... with bubbles! 🍺 😂 

😄😂

At least you guys have your own Arks if it turns out the be "that flood"

Stay safe & don't cross flooded roads👍

PS, it might be the doomsday prepper in me but in my spare fridge I always have about 30ltrs of bottled filtered tap water for such occasions, coincidentally in brown PET beer brewing bottles 😁

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

😄😂

At least you guys have your own Arks if it turns out the be "that flood"

Stay safe & don't cross flooded roads👍

PS, it might be the doomsday prepper in me but in my spare fridge I always have about 30ltrs of bottled filtered tap water for such occasions, coincidentally in brown PET beer brewing bottles 😁

That road will be closed for several weeks, I think, so I’ll have to go the long way around. No short cuts! 😂Incidentally, that road and causeway were not installed by council apparently. The road never joined up until landowners on either side built the small causeway and put a rough road over it. So I’m told anyway.
Good idea re the bottled water. We have a plumbed fridge with ice maker and water dispenser. Would the filter handle that brown water do you reckon? I assume the ice cubes I currently have in my whiskey were made earlier in the day...? 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

That road will be closed for several weeks, I think, so I’ll have to go the long way around. No short cuts! 😂Incidentally, that road and causeway were not installed by council apparently. The road never joined up until landowners on either side built the small causeway and put a rough road over it. So I’m told anyway.
Good idea re the bottled water. We have a plumbed fridge with ice maker and water dispenser. Would the filter handle that brown water do you reckon? I assume the ice cubes I currently have in my whiskey were made earlier in the day...? 🤷‍♂️

At least you’ve got another excuse not to go fishing Baz! 🤣🤣🤣

I dare say, the fishing will be shut down up here for the next few weeks. 

We’ve had two house completely flooded in our street. My house averted disaster by about an hour! 

Not looking forward to the next couple of days, with the forecast peaking on Saturday. Let’s hope their wrong as usual 🤔

It's crazy up here on the MNC I'm going to spend a night or 2 at work because of staff trapped by floods, hope everyone is doing ok and stay home if not absolutely necessary water's every bit if not more dangerous than fire

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, dirvin21 said:

It's crazy up here on the MNC I'm going to spend a night or 2 at work because of staff trapped by floods, hope everyone is doing ok and stay home if not absolutely necessary water's every bit if not more dangerous than fire

Good idea @dirvin21 hope they have some staff quarters for you. 

• Like 1

Just want to say that I hope that everyone affected by these horrific weather events remains safe. Don't go taking any risks, particularly on the roads. Keep up to date with reports and how they will impact your region.

Looks like I may have to put my plans to "do a trip" on hold for a while...

Thinking of you all, bn

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/18/2021 at 11:20 PM, Scratchie said:

I dare say, the fishing will be shut down up here for the next few weeks. 

Just think like a fish Scratchie, and you will find them somewhere. 🤣

2 hours ago, Yowie said:

Just think like a fish Scratchie, and you will find them somewhere. 🤣

Karuah or Hawkes Nest bridges... the fish will all congregate under them so they don’t get wet from the rain! 😂😂😂

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Karuah or Hawkes Nest bridges... the fish will all congregate under them so they don’t get wet from the rain! 😂😂😂

How are you, Scratchie and the others up your way coping with the flood waters?

Apart from getting wet, being taxed a fortune from all the overtime, a lack of sleep from said overtime and my driveway now being a 4x4 track, I haven't been to badly affected, unfortunately  plenty of people in my local area can't say the same

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, dirvin21 said:

Apart from getting wet, being taxed a fortune from all the overtime, a lack of sleep from said overtime and my driveway now being a 4x4 track, I haven't been to badly affected, unfortunately  plenty of people in my local area can't say the same

Good to hear Dave

• Like 1

Plenty of roads closed up here. A lot of people have lost a lot. My house was boarder on flooding but was averted. The SES dug a trench to avoid anymore houses in our street from being flooded (2 already)

But my family is safe  although we are pretty much house bound! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 2