Non alcoholic beers

Little_Flatty

Hi all,

I know the concept of good non-alcoholic beer is a tautology to most, but there are times I want a beer and can’t have one (driving, working, looking after kids etc). Non alcoholic and low alcohol beers are one solution to that.

What have people tried? I like the Pine trail pale ale from big drop brewing, because of it’s wide availability and good flavour/aroma. The Nort offering is quite good too and as a bonus is connected one of my favourite breweries in Sydney, Modus Operandi. Then there is the Sobah range which I am a fan of, but is as expensive as a full strength craft beer.

From the bigger players I’ve tried Coopers Birrell, wasn’t my favourite, but Carlton zero is ok in my books. I’m yet to try Peroni Libera. There was also a non alcoholic wheat beer I tried which was terrible unfortunately.

I’ve even brewed a low alcohol beer where I boiled off the alcohol post ferment while doing the flavour/aroma hop additions, then chilled and repitched yeast/sugar for conditioning. It tasted and smelt right, but was very cloudy. Next time I do it I’ll just call it a low alcohol NEIPA :) But it was a lot more work than brewing a normal beer and I think I’d just buy my low alcohol beers in the future. Save the elbow grease for the fully leaded stuff.

Mike

Hey Little Flatty love a beer myself and since the advent of Carlton Zero etc, I havent had a real one in over 12mths. Also found health and general energy levels have improved which motivated a healthier diet and regular exercise. IMO they are a real game changer all round.

• Like 1

Guest Guest123456789

Monday to Thursday I like the Bundaberg diet ginger beers - a 10 pack sets you back $15 from woolies ($1.50 per beer). Not too sweet and low sugar.

Friday to Sunday I’m really enjoying the Zytho pale ales. $55 a slab of tinnies from BWS - they’re brewed in Goulburn and amazing.

image.jpg

I never thought beer tasted that good which is why salty food is never far off... to cleanse the palate for the next swill.

If I had a beer and didn't start feeling numb around the eyes it wouldn't be the same. 

I like that natural brewed Bundaberg Sarsaparilla. Apparently it is fermented in the bottle, and if you leave it in the car too long it can become alcoholic. But just off the shelf it's okay. 

2 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Hi all,

I know the concept of good non-alcoholic beer is a tautology to most, but there are times I want a beer and can’t have one (driving, working, looking after kids etc). Non alcoholic and low alcohol beers are one solution to that.

What have people tried? I like the Pine trail pale ale from big drop brewing, because of it’s wide availability and good flavour/aroma. The Nort offering is quite good too and as a bonus is connected one of my favourite breweries in Sydney, Modus Operandi. Then there is the Sobah range which I am a fan of, but is as expensive as a full strength craft beer.

From the bigger players I’ve tried Coopers Birrell, wasn’t my favourite, but Carlton zero is ok in my books. I’m yet to try Peroni Libera. There was also a non alcoholic wheat beer I tried which was terrible unfortunately.

I’ve even brewed a low alcohol beer where I boiled off the alcohol post ferment while doing the flavour/aroma hop additions, then chilled and repitched yeast/sugar for conditioning. It tasted and smelt right, but was very cloudy. Next time I do it I’ll just call it a low alcohol NEIPA :) But it was a lot more work than brewing a normal beer and I think I’d just buy my low alcohol beers in the future. Save the elbow grease for the fully leaded stuff.

Mike

You used the word "tautology" which I'd never heard of before & had to look up so I have learnt something today 🤔😅

Personally I would use the word "oxymoron" :whistling:.........................😂

Each to their own, whatever floats your boat but the subject is getting very close to other personal preferences, passions or beliefs like............................religion 😬

And I think drinking non alcoholic beer is sacrilegious even if Im not religious 🤣

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, jordy said:

Hey Little Flatty love a beer myself and since the advent of Carlton Zero etc, I havent had a real one in over 12mths. Also found health and general energy levels have improved which motivated a healthier diet and regular exercise. IMO they are a real game changer all round.

I agree it is a game changer as well as the quality has moved up a notch in recent years and the market has become more competitive. The kilojoule punishment for most NA beers is about the same as a soft drink. I can live with that.

6 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Monday to Thursday I like the Bundaberg diet ginger beers - a 10 pack sets you back $15 from woolies ($1.50 per beer). Not too sweet and low sugar.

That's a good idea. I might get a case to keep at work. A diet soft drink is extremely guilt free from a kilojoules perspective!

6 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Friday to Sunday I’m really enjoying the Zytho pale ales. $55 a slab of tinnies from BWS - they’re brewed in Goulburn and amazing.

I actually haven't tried the Zythos yet. Might pick up a pack when I am back to beers again...having a break until Easter :)

5 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

And I think drinking non alcoholic beer is sacrilegious even if Im not religious 🤣

I know what you're saying :) Just for practical and health reasons I need to temper my consumption every now and again. I'm thankful that there are a few options on the market now that are not entirely dodgy :) 

20 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

I know what you're saying :) Just for practical and health reasons I need to temper my consumption every now and again. I'm thankful that there are a few options on the market now that are not entirely dodgy :) 

So people are paying $40 a case for beer flavoured water 😳 

https://www.boozebud.com/p/carltonzero/375mlcan?gclid=Cj0KCQjw3duCBhCAARIsAJeFyPWVUqpVh_UFgRwLJOnOnfdNI_GyrgBuecpMKxq6henDvgCKEiUMLSAaAoE3EALw_wcB

Or 

$45 for 12 × 375ml bottles of miracle hemp tonic in the shape of a beer bottle :whistling:

https://hempoz.com.au/products/hemp-kombucha-tonic?variant=8348434726956&currency=AUD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Sales+l+Shopping+Campaign+l+NSW+VIC+QLD&hsa_grp=104335148336&hsa_src=g&hsa_ver=3&hsa_cam=10518057516&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_acc=5158742941&hsa_kw=&hsa_tgt=pla-293946777986&hsa_mt=&hsa_ad=447550928291&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3duCBhCAARIsAJeFyPVSxHeP1Tdg0jbaOClhdpAXhVuD90-2EC75_5ITs1IJbAPzeKBDWR8aAhgBEALw_wcB

I think its a joke myself, all these "no alcohol " drinks.

If you want to abstain the just have a cup if green tea, 10 cents a glass & probably much better for you.

But then if your at a bbq it at least looks better to be swilling something out of what at least looks like an alcohol bottle.

Its a bit like vegan food disguised as meat products 😂

On 3/22/2021 at 6:02 PM, kingie chaser said:

So people are paying $40 a case for beer flavoured water 😳 

https://www.boozebud.com/p/carltonzero/375mlcan?gclid=Cj0KCQjw3duCBhCAARIsAJeFyPWVUqpVh_UFgRwLJOnOnfdNI_GyrgBuecpMKxq6henDvgCKEiUMLSAaAoE3EALw_wcB

Or 

$45 for 12 × 375ml bottles of miracle hemp tonic in the shape of a beer bottle :whistling:

https://hempoz.com.au/products/hemp-kombucha-tonic?variant=8348434726956&currency=AUD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Sales+l+Shopping+Campaign+l+NSW+VIC+QLD&hsa_grp=104335148336&hsa_src=g&hsa_ver=3&hsa_cam=10518057516&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_acc=5158742941&hsa_kw=&hsa_tgt=pla-293946777986&hsa_mt=&hsa_ad=447550928291&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3duCBhCAARIsAJeFyPVSxHeP1Tdg0jbaOClhdpAXhVuD90-2EC75_5ITs1IJbAPzeKBDWR8aAhgBEALw_wcB

I think its a joke myself, all these "no alcohol " drinks.

If you want to abstain the just have a cup if green tea, 10 cents a glass & probably much better for you.

But then if your at a bbq it at least looks better to be swilling something out of what at least looks like an alcohol bottle.

Its a bit like vegan food disguised as meat products 😂

People pay for bottled water.Each to their own i think. Personally you  have to have rocks in your head paying to drink bottled water or non alcoholic beer.Beer tastes like sxxt anytime regardless of brand if you ask me alcohol or not.

I'll let others make these companies millions thank you very much and stick with soft drink at bbqs as I'm already "tough" enough.😂🤣😂