Lake Illawarra flathead

Maniac

Been chasing Flathead on the flats on the night tide and it’s been very productive on the Zman 4inch minnow.

Last weekends session got a 50cm , 60cm and a 70cm in a 1 hour session had to leave due to work. The 70cm put up the best fight I have ever had from a flathead, they fight hard in the shallow water on lures. Check out the fight on my YouTube link https://youtu.be/tucTqgCjNoc

(warning language alert on video)

5E909F42-78DB-4761-9429-A7ABF4949DF7.png

E09179C1-4E3C-48C4-B639-D33AD5E23AF9.jpeg

Edited by mrsswordfisherman
WARNING language alert
  • Like 6

Don't you hate that lake weed on your line? always makes me nervous, don't know why, it just does. The lake still fishes OK if you take the time and put some effort in, that's a nice fish.

Awesome fish and vid.

Gave me nightmares though- what would easily be my best flattie (also in Lake Illawarra) was lost due to weed. I had it in 20cm of water, even touched it, then it spooked and took off for another run in the quick running channel. It picked up so much crap on the line that I wasn’t even sure when I lost it. Just couldn’t keep pressure on the business end.

On 3/28/2021 at 6:14 PM, DaveBM said:

Awesome fish and vid.

Gave me nightmares though- what would easily be my best flattie (also in Lake Illawarra) was lost due to weed. I had it in 20cm of water, even touched it, then it spooked and took off for another run in the quick running channel. It picked up so much crap on the line that I wasn’t even sure when I lost it. Just couldn’t keep pressure on the business end.

That’s fishing though isn’t it! Always devastating losing a good fish.

The flatty I got headed for the weed pretty quick in the fight I could feel it rubbing through it...