Butterworth? MT120 9W

Ryder

Hi Raiders

We’re not getting any fish up here at Crescent Head in the floodwaters but did find this washed up on the beach.

Looks like a custom build for an overhead reel. I think it’s a Butterworth, at 10ft could it be a LBG rod?E490F324-3F0C-4958-9B42-13EDC968C58D.thumb.jpeg.34833e937523dd1be1079d76c8085abb.jpeg25BC2A00-C4AA-4C6C-8E18-C053856E51AF.thumb.jpeg.0ae40423ac2337d01822d3895c9692bb.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice find Ryder.

My guess is its a 1970's Butterworth that was built for heavy, high speed spinning, most likely with a Seascape 6:1 reel.

There was nothing available "off the rack" at the time and rods were either home built or custom.

Back in the day I used a MT8 120 for the same purpose. A very fast tapered blank suited to 20lb line and throwing 3-4oz lures.

• Like 2

Yep, perfect for an overhead, back "in the day" Seascapes and some small Penn overheads were common for the land based spin guys, I still have a rod I built in about 1975 for just that purpose, caught lots of Frigates and Bonito off Cowrie Island at Shellharbour using it with a Seascape, and home made Stainless lures, I cut it down a bit later on and it's now a Snapper rod.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Pete, Would the high mounted reel seat be  suited for HSS?

It looks like a HSS rod to me. Another clue would be the size of the stripper guide, plus the amount of guides overall.

An "overhead" rod typically had 7 or 8 guides plus tip, whereas a spin reel setup had a couple less.

Looking at the Fuji reel seat and guides with the luminous shock rings indicates an early 80's build.

55 minutes ago, noelm said:

Yep, perfect for an overhead, back "in the day" Seascapes and some small Penn overheads were common for the land based spin guys, I still have a rod I built in about 1975 for just that purpose, caught lots of Frigates and Bonito off Cowrie Island at Shellharbour using it with a Seascape, and home made Stainless lures, I cut it down a bit later on and it's now a Snapper rod.

A shot from wayback of me at Big Beecroft with a few mac tuna.

The 8 144 had been retired to a lighter FSU 4120.

I still have the 4 120, but its been rebuilt to suit an Alvey for breakwall jew.

img003.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

A shot from wayback of me at Big Beecroft with a few mac tuna.

The 8 144 had been retired to a lighter FSU 4120.

I still have the 4 120, but its been rebuilt to suit an Alvey for breakwall jew.

img003.jpg

It's funny how rods get "repurposed" over the years, rebuilt to suit different reels and uses, I have an old Butterworth stripped down and shortened in the garage that I am "gunna" rebuild as a Whiting rod, unfortunately I have been "gunna" do it for a couple years now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noelm said:

It's funny how rods get "repurposed" over the years, rebuilt to suit different reels and uses, I have an old Butterworth stripped down and shortened in the garage that I am "gunna" rebuild as a Whiting rod, unfortunately I have been "gunna" do it for a couple years now.

My old MT8 120 got "slightly" shortened as well, haha. It ended up getting run over.

Repurposed as a line tensioner when respooling now and doubles up as an extension on the socket spanner handle.

Web Post.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

My old MT8 120 got "slightly" shortened as well, haha. It ended up getting run over.

Repurposed as a line tensioner when respooling now and doubles up as an extension on the socket spanner handle.

Web Post.jpg

Nice old chrome winch- still got a few of them somewhere

• Like 1