Port Hacking - muddy water but some fish about

Yowie

Headed to my mother's place in Gunnamatta Bay to launch my boat. Waited for a little bit of light to appear in the sky before heading off, then a patch of fog dropped in so had to wait longer. Dropped a line in with fish pieces, and pulled out the 2 bream.

When it looked good, I headed slowly out of Gunnamatta and towards Burraneer Bay where the fog lifted. A slow trip in the semi darkness but nothing floating about until Lilli Pilli, sticks and small logs less than a metre long. Anchored up from Lilli Pilli, where the water was like liquid mud - could not see the fish until it was on the surface.

Pulled up 3 tailor and the reddie on fish strips. The reddie was just over size, hooked in the gills and not looking too flash, so kept it. Plenty of other reddies just under the limit, attracted by the crab shells from last week as burley.

Also pulled out a jewie at 67cm, and a kingie at 61. By mid tide, the current was flowing out fairly fast, with a breeze kicking along with it, so headed home.

As I was passing along between Gunnamatta and Burraneer bays, saw many birds working the surface, so tossed in a metal lure. Pulled out a few tailor, kept 2 that were deeply hooked and released some others. These were not a lot over the limit, but plenty of them there in the murky water feeding on anchovies, some even swimming about in the bay surfing area.

The water in Gunnamatta is a lighter brown colour, but able to see down several feet - rainfall around there is from the surrounding hills, not from the main rivers and creeks further up stream which washes down a lot of dirt and silt.

fish.jpeg.285_files_files.jpg

• Like 14

16 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Onya Yowie! You could pull a fish out of a pothole 🤣🤣🤣

Nice bag again mate! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Scratchie.

I fished a few times with the old bloke next to mums (he has now passed on) but he would never let me use his toilet before we went fishing. He said I would probably drop a line in and pull out some fish (and not blind mullet either :074:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Tweedfisho said:

Good job Yowie, how long before you think it will improve?

Thank you.

Port Hacking - a few days, but there are some fish if you know where to find them.

The Hawkesbury - a few weeks.

Sydney Harbour - not too long if fishing a run up tide.

Northern rivers - maybe a week, or 2, but only guessing there.

Edited by Yowie

You’re a legend Yowie, a really nice bag given the conditions. I Don’t know south of Sydney Harbour, but goes to show “local knowledge is the go” (but it takes a lifetime to get that general knowledge).

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

You’re a legend Yowie, a really nice bag given the conditions. I Don’t know south of Sydney Harbour, but goes to show “local knowledge is the go” (but it takes a lifetime to get that general knowledge).

Thank you.

Local knowledge does help, however, I have been fishing for over 60 years (started off in Port Hacking as a youngster) so that is a "lifetime". 

2 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Doesn't matter how muddied the waters are, fish still gotta eat!

And you have proven that :thumbup:

Fish still eat, or get eaten. 😆

Just wonder how many toothy critters are swimming up river into the flood water. :blink:

14 hours ago, big Neil said:

What a fantastic session Yowie. Just shows that if you know the areas well you CAN fish (with success) in conditions which are far from perfect. Great post, great result. bn

Thank you Neil, probably similar to inland rivers that are this colour most of the time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Not surprised you pulled a feed Yowie.... I bet the chocolate water is just on the surface so your knowledge of the better deep water spots got you the chocolates once again....great work!!

Thank you Rob. The surface water is fresh water and it carries the very fine silt, with the heavier salt water underneath. The salt water may be a bit clearer underneath (unless you are in the Hawkesbury at the moment), however, I am not sticking my head in to have a look.  🤣

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Great work as usual Yowie.Like scratchie said you could pull a fish out of a blocked down pipe mate.Well done Sir.Hope those 20yr old knees are getting better mate.

Thank you Fab. You should give it a go yourself.

The fracture in my knee has healed, and just about back to normal. :banana:

5 hours ago, Yowie said:

Thank you Fab. You should give it a go yourself.

The fracture in my knee has healed, and just about back to normal. :banana:

I'm out of action for a while as I have the mother in-law in/out of hospital battling the dreaded C and the mrs with a few issues too.Working 12hr nights,helping them and the usual chores at home I simply don't have time and am buggered.

Glad to hear you're on the mend mate. 

25 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

I'm out of action for a while as I have the mother in-law in/out of hospital battling the dreaded C and the mrs with a few issues too.Working 12hr nights,helping them and the usual chores at home I simply don't have time and am buggered.

Glad to hear you're on the mend mate. 

That's not good. Hopefully things improve over your way.

Yesterday (Saturday) the water in burraneer bay was still chocolate brown but there was schools busting up all day. I saw a few boats catching fish from the bust ups (tailor I think) all day.

today the water has cleared up so you can see bottom to about 1m. It shows the sand bank has shifted well into the channel in the mouth of burraneer bay. The channel markers are a guide but not that accurate now.  Be careful if you have a big boat or it’s low tide 

16 hours ago, mark_s said:

Yesterday (Saturday) the water in burraneer bay was still chocolate brown but there was schools busting up all day. I saw a few boats catching fish from the bust ups (tailor I think) all day.

today the water has cleared up so you can see bottom to about 1m. It shows the sand bank has shifted well into the channel in the mouth of burraneer bay. The channel markers are a guide but not that accurate now.  Be careful if you have a big boat or it’s low tide 

The bloody council does not want to pay for the dredging (they used to some years ago), however,  I read something in the newspaper that dredging may happen in the next few months, AND, the council may be tipping in some of money. 

The Burraneer channel is very dangerous and narrow now, as is the channel next to the kids camp opposite Lilli Pilli.

As for the tailor, they will keep feeding away as long as there are bait schools about. Quite possible that a large kingie or 2 will be swimming nearby hoping to grab a tailor.

Edited by Yowie