Best Wet Weather gear

Pickles

I bought a bright yellow sou-wester outfit many years (brand unknown now). Pants with elastic waist, top with push studs and a tie down hat.

Has a tear in it under an arm, but still holding up very nicely.

I used waterproof Goretex hat, Goretex jacket, Goretex pants, Goretex shoes - not everything at the same time.

Decent breathability is more important than 100% waterproofness - particularly for our warm climate zone.

• Like 2

Yep, they are extremely good quality, I was still wearing mine I got decades ago, but they seem to have shrunk around the middle......or maybe my "fuller figure" might explain it! Bib and brace is the go, that way the pants don't keep falling down, and the long jacket hangs way below, add some decent boots and you're dry as

• Haha 4

Hi,

I've been checking out wet weather gear (bushwalking + fishing purposes) for a while now. A few things I have learned:

1. You get what you pay for.

2. If you don't look around, you can end up paying a lot more for the same article (honestly, prices can vary hugely!)

3. No garment is entirely waterproof. Breathability and waterproofness aside,  and they are issues to look at. But, if the rain is heavy enough it will get up your sleeves and down your neck. Don't argue on this it's a fact.

4. MUSTO waterproof gear (recommended above) varies from $1700 to a bit over $200. Honestly, how can a garment be $1500 more waterproof than a $200 garment? Would this be for a market that sails boats whose carbon fibre sails alone cost millions?

Try checking out bushwalking and hiking sites for waterproof gear and I reckon you'll find something that suits your needs that is much more affordable.

KB

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, noelm said:

Yep, they are extremely good quality, I was still wearing mine I got decades ago, but they seem to have shrunk around the middle......or maybe my "fuller figure" might explain it! Bib and brace is the go, that way the pants don't keep falling down, and the long jacket hangs way below, add some decent boots and you're dry as

So it's not just mine that's shrunk terribly around the middle

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, wazatherfisherman said:

So it's not just mine that's shrunk terribly around the middle

My clothes have shrunk too over the years!

I reckon it's daylight saving: that extra hour of sunlight on the Hills Hoist has ruined my wardrobe.

KbB

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have a couple of cheap pairs of Bunnings style waterproof pants, maybe $20 max, waterproof for sure but maybe not cool or the right name.

I have a Savage gear top that again was not that expensive but still more money that needs to be spent really.

For a boat, your not moving really so you don't need Gore-Tex or any of that stuff you just need to stay dry, that doesn't cost much imo!

I also have a lot of dedicated snow skiing gear that comes with all the tags like "breathable" & waterproof & it is but its much more expensive but when your in constant sub zero temps you want to be dry on the outside & the inside as much as possible. 

If you were into sailing I would say spend more money, you need maneuverability as well as being able to stay dry. 

Edited by kingie chaser

7 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

I have a couple of cheap pairs of Bunnings style waterproof pants, maybe $20 max, waterproof for sure but maybe not cool or the right name.

I have a Savage gear top that again was not that expensive but still more money that needs to be spent really.

For a boat, your not moving really so you don't need Gore-Tex or any of that stuff you just need to stay dry, that doesn't cost much imo!

I also have a lot of dedicated snow skiing gear that comes with all the tags like "breathable" & waterproof & it is but its much more expensive but when your in constant sub zero temps you want to be dry on the outside & the inside as much as possible. 

I remember my first waterproof pants- they were made out of industrial plastic bags and didn't breath at all , but they sure served their purpose of keeping me dry, while in a hire boat- freezing Hairtailing in Coal and Candle Creek.

The old rubberised "Taft" jackets were pretty hard to beat for night time boat fishing- didn't breath, but kept you warm and dry on those cold nights on the Sow and Pigs, where you are exposed to the winter westerly's. They were Aussie made too

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, wazatherfisherman said:

I remember my first waterproof pants- they were made out of industrial plastic bags and didn't breath at all , but they sure served their purpose of keeping me dry, while in a hire boat- freezing Hairtailing in Coal and Candle Creek.

The old rubberised "Taft" jackets were pretty hard to beat for night time boat fishing- didn't breath, but kept you warm and dry on those cold nights on the Sow and Pigs, where you are exposed to the winter westerly's. They were Aussie made too

Yes Waza, I think quite often many people in generally seek out a brand name & just spend unnecessarily on over rated gear

But hey, at the end of the day its your money so you do what you want with it.

I ask myself Is it what you need or what I want??

Sometimes its both & happy to pay more if its warranted, sometimes I am happy with cheap & nasty as long as it does the job :thumbup:

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Yes Waza, I think quite often many people in generally seek out a brand name & just spend unnecessarily on over rated gear

But hey, at the end of the day its your money so you do what you want with it.

I ask myself Is it what you need or what I want??

Sometimes its both & happy to pay more, sometimes I am happy with cheap & nasty as long as it does the job :thumbup:

Hi KC my first bib and brace was a cheaper "Line 7" brand and it lasted really well and less than half the price of the other two brands I mentioned. Don't think they are available these days, not carried by the same chain that used to have them at any rate.

Bob-ive got Burke gear-jacket and bib and brace, its very good, also excellent in winter when i can keep the wind out while racing up the harbour before dawn!! The lightweight hiking stuff i stay away from as it doesnt cope with hooks etc (which just bounce off the Burke gear)The bib and brace is worth its weight in gold - and as a bonus makes you more attractive to the wife!!! Go oversize so you dont have exposed underclothes when you move around etc

• Like 1

For winter fishing for Hairtail etc I had a north seas survival suit, which I bought when in England. They are designed for the north sea fisherman and oil rig workers. A bit restrictive with your movements as they are pretty heavy but warm as toast. had it for approx 20 years and it got a bit stiff and dirty so the misses through it away.

For other times then Winter I just use cheap pants and jacket, have a jacket that folds up within itself to about 4 inches round and I keep it in the glove box of the boat and one in the glove box of the car, not warm but keeps you dry in mild rain. Katmandu have some good stuff but pretty pricy.

Frank  

2 hours ago, frankS said:

For other times then Winter I just use cheap pants and jacket, have a jacket that folds up within itself to about 4 inches round and I keep it in the glove box of the boat and one in the glove box of the car, not warm but keeps you dry in mild rain. Katmandu have some good stuff but pretty pricy.

Frank, if you like Kathmandu - try their Birkenhead Point Outlet,  prices are reasonable however choice is usually limited. Best time to come when their shops get new stock for the new season,  so old  stock goes to outlet. If you are ever back to UK  again - their Kathmandu (despite Kathmandu being NZ/AU company) in their Westfield has lower regular prices than our local one on sale.  

I have  couple of relatively cheap '4" rain jackets' - I found  that they are not much breathable,  leak the water in above mild rain at seams,  thin/cold. I use it only as a emergency protection from mild rain/splashes and cold wind (obviously with a layer under it).

16 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Waza, I suspect that style would be perfect match to my first / green Bunnings rain poncho 😃. All was ok in light summer rain until wind catched up, and during my lure fishing session I had more ponchos catches than casts.

Edited by savit
  • Haha 1

When I first started doing deep dropping 30k offshore in my little 15ft formula I decided to get myself a floatation suit from the UK. These have a layer of insulation and waterproofing that even helps keep you warm in the water. Easy to slip a plb in a pocket for peace of mind etc.

Mine is now around 12 years old and still remains the warmest most waterproof outfit Ive owned. The zips are oversized plastic ones with plenty of flaps and velcro (no corroded jambed zippers).

The pricing was pretty good as we don't pay the vat tax, meaning they are cheaper than advertised. Pretty certain the ones I ordered were from a store in Scotland. https://www.fishingmegastore.com/flotation-suits_756.html?filter_brand=Imax&filter_sortby=name+asc

I did look into importing them at one point but came under all kinds of issues with AU standards, that seem far more complicated than international standards!!!!!

636148795_ScreenShot2021-03-27at3_05_56pm.thumb.png.2c33071e5c5083aca53e1bcb2a1a1a04.png

Edited by JonD
  • Like 1

Just in terms of waterproof Jackets only, I use a fishing jacket from CAST! Costs about $180 delivered. Lightweight for casting and doesn’t make you sweat during the warmer rain periods. Have stood in an open boat for 8 hrs pouring rain and not a drop of water got on my clothes! Best fishing investment I’ve ever made! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 1