sharpest longshank hooks.

hi there , when im trying to catch  yellowtail, leather jackets or whiting i  always use Mustad bloodworm longshank hooks,  i have not tried using any other type of l/s hooks , have any of you  come across a better  l/s hook  with a better/ sharper point ?  also what do you think about  stainless l /s hooks ? thank you for your reply .

Mustad are the best I have used for the price/quality. Gamakatsu or Owner are also very good, but a bit more money.

Any chem sharpened hook will be sharper than any stainless steel hook, what exactly is the problem you are having? longshank hooks actually give a fish more chance to lever off than short ones, the reason we use them for catching livies is you can flick the livies off the hook without touching them, the reason we use them for whiting is bait presentation and the reason we use them for jackets is teeth protection. Every hook is a compromise 

7 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

Any chem sharpened hook will be sharper than any stainless steel hook, what exactly is the problem you are having? longshank hooks actually give a fish more chance to lever off than short ones, the reason we use them for catching livies is you can flick the livies off the hook without touching them, the reason we use them for whiting is bait presentation and the reason we use them for jackets is teeth protection. Every hook is a compromise 

no problem really , just looking  for the best/sharpest  that's out there , because  i have only tried a couple of different brands of hooks, thank you for your reply 

For that type of fish and hook spending extra is a waste- i doubt you will see any difference , for livie hooks i still use cheap brown size 6 longshanks-super sharp for this application makes little improvement because of the whole leverage factor.

6 minutes ago, wazatherfisherman said:

As Paddy says above -Mustad 4540 1/2 (Bronze) are the best Yakka + Garfish hooks and also the cheapest- have never needed to sharpen one out of the box

they are the ones, sometimes sharper is not better

• Like 1
1 hour ago, leonardgid said:

hi there , when im trying to catch  yellowtail, leather jackets or whiting i  always use Mustad bloodworm longshank hooks,  i have not tried using any other type of l/s hooks , have any of you  come across a better  l/s hook  with a better/ sharper point ?  also what do you think about  stainless l /s hooks ? thank you for your reply .

Should be sharp enough if not rub them over a fine sharping stone 

2 hours ago, leonardgid said:

I vote against stainless steel hooks - give a fish another chance to live. 

In fact, a number of US states forbids them.

8 hours ago, Yowie said:

Mustad are the best I have used for the price/quality. Gamakatsu or Owner are also very good, but a bit more money.

thank you ,

6 hours ago, savit said:

7 hours ago, PaddyT said:

they are the ones, sometimes sharper is not better

thank you 

13 hours ago, savit said:

https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/fishing-lure-left-in-a-fishs-mouth/

Interesting article-i think you might find that stainless hooks are certainly banned in a few places but mainly saltwater interestingly, fish are pretty tough and are used to swallowing hard, spiky things but they are good at getting rid of hooks thats for sure

5 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/fishing-lure-left-in-a-fishs-mouth/

Interesting article-i think you might find that stainless hooks are certainly banned in a few places but mainly saltwater interestingly, fish are pretty tough and are used to swallowing hard, spiky things but they are good at getting rid of hooks thats for sure

Thank you, interesting article. Yes, Stainless hooks are banned mostly in Saltwater - as salt helps rust stuck non-stainless hooks much quicker than stainless hooks. For Freshwater -  this rusting time difference is not so much and both hook types will stay for long. Instead, for Freshwater  a number of countries (incl mentioned a few weeks ago Switzerland) ban hook barbs - and 'your' article states that barbless hooks usually come out of fish within 24hrs.

Àint my article -so not sure what the "barb" was for- but anyway-barbs are a bit useless most times anyway-more for bait presentation, Rod Harrison used to call them "skijumps" and i'm inclined to agree. Peter Pakula recommends minimal barb or even no barb on marlin lures-LINE TENSION is what keeps the hook in a fish-which probably explains part of the reason why in the study the hooks and lures fall out very quickly. Getting back to the OP question, the other factor is leverage , short shank hooks keep a fish on much better than a longshank for that reason and a circle in the corner of the mouth is best of all. I actually have a sneaking suspicion that circles will stay in a fish for a very long time- ive seen a few photos of this happening on recaptures. Key to landing fish is have a hook sharp and fine enough that it penetrates and that it doesnt have large cutting edges that widen the hole as the fish fights. Then its really up to line tension and rod angles. For small fish a conically sharpened hook (like a sewing needle) is all thats needed with a tiny barb.

Stainless hooks may not be as sharp as chem hooks but I keep 2 small handlines with different sized split shot and stainless hooks on them in my boat permanently.  They are always ready to go for catching bait and I have had the current hooks on for nearly 2 years without probs.  Through the years I have had the odd one bitten off by tailor but it is so rare that I don't think its a concern.  Ron