Bagged out Monday 29th in Bate Bay and Hooked 102kg

campr

Due to various reasons I hadn't had my boat out for months.  With Good Friday looming and no fish in the freezer I decided to duck out to Bate Bay and try to catch a feed of blue spots even though it's my least favorite way of fishing.  I started in close in 17 metres as a mate had been bagging out with decent flatties there before the rain, but could only catch little spikies.  I gradually worked my way out deeper and didn't have much luck until I was in 40 metres.  A lot of just legals at 33cm and the odd one at 40cm.  As I was desperate to give the fam a feed, I set my minimum at 36cm and threw more than I kept back.  At about 10.30am The bite came to a halt with 9 in the esky.  It took nearly an hour to catch the last one at 38 and it was getting harder and harder throw back the just legals.  A little disappointing size wise as the biggest would have been 42cm and another 3 at 40.

As I put the last one in the esky I thought now for some fun and decided to head to my squidding spot to see if there were any around.  As I moved back towards my rod the boat lurched and I stumbled and kicked my line still on the deck.  The line flicked up and embedded the 4/0 hook all the way to the curve into the middle of my calf.  Bugger!  As I was by myself I headed back in, got the boat out and back home to get the wife to drive me to hospital to get the hook out. 

Disappointing way to end a nice day but mission accomplished.  Nice to get the boat out, still 2 nights before Good Friday, maybe try for a Jew???  Ron

Resized_20210329_134333.jpeg

Resized_20210329_182630.jpeg

• Like 8

Nice bag of fish Ron pity about the hook. Out of interest - when at the hospital, did they cut your leg open or pull it back out? 

Asking because I had one go right through (bar the barb) my finger sideways and managed to get it out, (nearly fainting in the process!) but when my ex girlfriend got a 4/0 straight down the middle of her thumb from top to bottom, they sliced the thumb open top to bottom and it came out easily (I said)

Interested to know the technique- "just in case" it happens when too far away from help

Regards Waza

1 hour ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Out of interest - when at the hospital, did they cut your leg open or pull it back out? 

Many, many years ago, I was walking to our fishing spot with my mate (we still fish together now) before we could drive, and in the darkness he brushed against a rod I had with a lure and treble.

One of the trebles hooked into his finger past the barb, in the darkness (we didn't use torches, just ate our greens and carrots for good eyesight) and I managed to release the treble from the lure ring.

Mate fished during the morning with the treble in his finger, until we walked home. He did not notice any pain until I used pliers to push the treble further in and the point popped out further along the finger (his idea, not mine 🤣)

It was getting a bit hard to push the treble further into the finger, so I grabbed the point of the hook just poking out of the skin and pulled hard (again his idea :074:) The barb popped out, I cut it off and pulled the rest of the hook backwards and out.

Him jumping up and down like a big girl's blouse (am I allowed to say that anymore?) did not help, but his finger healed in a few days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Nice bag of fish Ron pity about the hook. Out of interest - when at the hospital, did they cut your leg open or pull it back out? 

Asking because I had one go right through (bar the barb) my finger sideways and managed to get it out, (nearly fainting in the process!) but when my ex girlfriend got a 4/0 straight down the middle of her thumb from top to bottom, they sliced the thumb open top to bottom and it came out easily (I said)

Interested to know the technique- "just in case" it happens when too far away from help

Regards Waza

When I went in to Doc, he said he recognised my name and thought it may be me.  He is a member of Wollongong ANSA and knew me as I have regularly won ANSA comps in Sydney and Nowra.  After a little fishing related chat he numbed the area with 4 shots of local anesthetic and then inserted a thick strong needle next to the hook above the barb.  He then used the needle to pull the flesh away from the hook so it disengaged the barb.  He then was able to slide the hook out.  He then spent some time squirting what I think may have been saline into the puncture wound to thoroughly wash it out to minimise infection risk.  Funny thing was the local injections stung more than when I had the hook go in.

1 hour ago, campr said:

When I went in to Doc, he said he recognised my name and thought it may be me.  He is a member of Wollongong ANSA and knew me as I have regularly won ANSA comps in Sydney and Nowra.  After a little fishing related chat he numbed the area with 4 shots of local anesthetic and then inserted a thick strong needle next to the hook above the barb.  He then used the needle to pull the flesh away from the hook so it disengaged the barb.  He then was able to slide the hook out.  He then spent some time squirting what I think may have been saline into the puncture wound to thoroughly wash it out to minimise infection risk.  Funny thing was the local injections stung more than when I had the hook go in.

OK thanks for that- I hope you have a speedy recovery

This post should have been tagged NSFD (not safe for diners).

My mate’s mum got a big hook in the palm of her hand casting a hand line off the beach in the middle of nowhere (Coral Bay WA, in the 80s, long 4wd track to deserted beach).

In past the barb, so she gritted her teeth and pushed it on through between the bones, and they dressed it and continued their trip.

Tough lady.

If you go to the hospital for that they will slice you open to get it out, stitch you up and leave a nice scar.

Just push it through, crush the barb, and slide it back out. Two little dotty scars you won't see after a few months. 

• Like 1

Nice fish @campr shame about the hook, a reminder for us all, really only a matter of time for most this type of thing.

On 3/30/2021 at 3:23 PM, wazatherfisherman said:

Out of interest - when at the hospital, did they cut your leg open or pull it back out? 

@wazatherfisherman I was wondering the same thing, the approach described here to disengage the barb with the needle is clever.

I got a treble stuck in my finger recently (Zerek vibe trebles are bloody sharp!), was at home preparing the boat for a fish at the time and went to the local hospital which is pretty close. In my case they took an xray to check if it was caught on anything, then got some big pliers and pushed the barb in further till it went back out the of the finger, then they cut the barb off and the hook easily slid back out where it went in. I think in many cases you would be OK to push it through yourself, but no doubt there are cases where it could be caught internally or push through a vein etc. and cause more damage and so it really depends on the situation and your risk tolerance. Flushing the wound, and ensuring a recent tetanus shot would no doubt be important.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 8:29 PM, campr said:

Funny thing was the local injections stung more than when I had the hook go in.

Good bag! Shit go with the Hook mate.

Funny you mention how bad the Local injections were.. I got my filleting knife caught between my toes once in a dodgily placed knife holder and filleted my toe along the bone till it was just hanging there.. Never felt a thing when it happened, Anchor up lines in, Back to the ramp and 2 hour drive home without another soul in sight any step of the way..Went into hospital and it started bleeding, The 2 local shots made me levitate off the bed and they were filling me with adrenaline to bring my heart rate back up!

Anyway! Be safe 🤣