Trolling motor tactics

anthman

Hi all, as a very very happy owner of a trolling motor with GPS anchor / spotlock , I'm really keen to hear from those who have one and how they use them so I can try new techniques out.

What I'm currently doing:

* Going into shallows (2-3m) over weedbeds near rocky shorelines, spot locking, and then fishing for squid.

* Spot locking amongst moorings 

* Spot locking near rocky shorelines (e.g. outside of North head) and dropping baits (want to try getting closer and throwing unweighted baits into wash, but not yet fully confident)

* Replacing anchor in the usual spots where I would anchor and throw out baits.

Could t agree with you more Antman. I use mine instead of an anchor, use it to fish along break walls and wash fishing outside (keeping an eye on the ocean at all times). I have even used it to get back to the ramp when run out of fuel (Dummy me ). Also use it to “drift”, when there is no current or wind.

I also use it to launch, motor out and spot lock, whilst parking.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 8:31 PM, Pickles said:

Could t agree with you more Antman. I use mine instead of an anchor, use it to fish along break walls and wash fishing outside (keeping an eye on the ocean at all times). I have even used it to get back to the ramp when run out of fuel (Dummy me ). Also use it to “drift”, when there is no current or wind.

I also use it to launch, motor out and spot lock, whilst parking.

when wash fishing, do you get as close as you can cast unweighted baits in to the white/foamy parts and feed the line?