What a Day!

fish-aholic

Easter Saturday I took my family for a day trip to Soldiers Beach near Norah Head. A beautiful sunny day for beach. While my 3 yrs old Son and my wife was playing with waves and making sand castle I thought to cast a line in the water, but I only had a 6 ft long Rod setup with an old Abu Garcia reel (12yrs old) that I kind of use to catch live baits with a small long shank hook and a tiny little sinker. I thought to myself I won’t get anything with this setup as it’ll be absolutely impossible to cast any farther then a meter or two from where I was standing. I had few sand worm in a zip lock bag and a small bucket in the car. I didn’t have anything else with me ( left my tackle box at home , this is what happen when you don’t wanna upset your partner with your fishing plan but you still have a plan with a small ‘incase’)

Looking at the beach and there’s people everywhere but not a single beach fisho. But I still wanted to just have some fun time. So I started , 1st cast I couldn’t feel anything as my line was pushed towards me with the wind and waves, so I started reeling and bang! I feel a little tension and a nice little whiting. Let it live another day. 2nd cast almost the same thing and got a 28cm whiting, now I was super pumped as 2 cast 2 fish only happened in my dream before. Filled up the bucket with water and kept the fish in the bucket. My 3yrs old son was super excited to see a fish and ran to me screaming “ pishinggg daddy ; I wam (want) pishingg”. So I cast again and gave him the rod to hold and to my surprise he started reeling the line like a pro. ( I guess he saw me watching plenty of YouTube videos) and then the biggest surprise he actually got a 32cm whiting ,probably the biggest one of the day. Rest of the day he was busy with his fish in the bucket and let me fish. We end up 8 legal size whiting and let go plenty almost legal sizes. A great day with my Son’s first ever catch.

9DBCE14B-3D1D-455B-9328-AAC141E96A4F.jpeg

• Like 23

Great report. You will have a fishing buddy for years to come. It just goes to show that with nothing how it should have been, you can still catch fish if you are in the right place at the right time. Cheers, bn

• Thanks 1

Fantastic @reelemin, sounds like a hot session and the best memories for you both to share.

There are some good whiting tips in a couple of the Australian Lure Fishing pod casts episodes, I think fresh bait is best as you found but I have thrown some worm soft plastics in my bag for those 'just in case' days.. I find the podcast is something different to throw on in the car to work.

• Thanks 1

Great job @reelemin! I totally understand what it is like to do opportunistic sessions without getting in trouble with a partner! 95% of my fishing these days is opportunistic, done with handlines, travel rods and lures/bait I can keep in the car. But the big upside is that you do get to share your pastime with your family, which for a lot of us is a big part of what it’s all about! You sure do have a keen fishing buddy to join you now!

(That said I did get in trouble last weekend gone by for dissappearing in the early morning...thankfully I came back with a feed...).

• Thanks 1