Another project boat

frankS

Just bought a old Quintrex 4.3 alloy boat, impulsive buying! Sh*t is gonna hit the fan when the better half comes home later this afternoon and sees it parked across the road, we are supposed to be decluttering the place.

Anyhow it's a good solid little boat, not sure what I will do with it as yet, it didn't come with the trailer pictured ( trouble loading that photo ) but did come with unregistered 6x4 box trailer.

Thing is it has a Fishraider sticker on the windscreen, so I guess it used to belong to a Fishraider member. Does anyone recognize it ? .

1245937187_projectboat3.thumb.jpg.ad4ce7a8c9bb4b727a603d003b54adde.jpg

Frank

project boat 1.jpg

project boat 2.jpg

Edited by frankS
photos and text
  • Like 4

Yep, picture not working, you can never have too many projects....just about to start my cat trailer, depending if I can scrounge up some steel cheap whether I build another one or refurbish the old one. Once I get the boat off I will see which way I will go.

I have heaps of options and corners to turn with this project. 1 - could just sell it as is and sure I could make a profit, 2 -sell my Brooker and use money to do this one up, 3- I have a 30hp Yamaha I could throw on it and start from there. 4- just sell everything and bum a boat ride from other people now and again. 

Frank

• Like 2

All those options have something going for them! Is that an old "Seaman" or the later "Fishabout" style? It's a bit hard to tell, getting it right way up will be a trick, unless you can get a few people to help flip it over.

Always good to have a project on the go & the next 1 or 2 backed up for when that one is completed.

It's only a problem when you have 10 lined up & haven't touched the 1st one in 6 months :whistling: 😅

Those old quinies are nice solid boats though.

Good luck with it  

Think the first thing I should do is make a trailer for it. Aluminium of course , have enough material to do one and it would be a good project to post on here for anyone that might be interested to see how I go about building my trailers.

Should be able to get a start on it over the week end. Will start a new thread with photos so stay tuned.

PS getting it off that trailer will be a piece of cake.

Frank

• Like 2

Wow This old tub might be even older than I though. Found the original comp plate and it states that is was built in Kirrawee and from memory I think Quintrex finished doing business from Kirrawee in about 1967-8 or there abouts, I remember I was about 19-20 years old when they moved to Qld. memory could be wrong, but would be somewhere around them dates. The flared hull design was around 1967 so this would be an early flared bow model.

Frank

Can't recall the exact dates but I seem to remember them moving to QLD around 1970 too, my father was friends with the owner at the time and he used to fish with us from time to time in Jervis Bay, I think his name was Bill? Does it have side decks/gunnels? The bow rail is very Fishabout looking, like the old centre console 4.5 Fishraider?

12 minutes ago, noelm said:

Can't recall the exact dates but I seem to remember them moving to QLD around 1970 too, my father was friends with the owner at the time and he used to fish with us from time to time in Jervis Bay, I think his name was Bill? Does it have side decks/gunnels? The bow rail is very Fishabout looking, like the old centre console 4.5 Fishraider?

Noel. No unfortunately it doesn't have the side decks ( I may build some into it ) . Haven't measured it yet but the rego papers put it as a 4.2m so a tape measure will be employed shortly.

Frank

The very early flared bow models were kind of low sided, called the "Seaman" and later the "Seaman MK2" but most didn't have bow rails, or side decks, then the higher sided Fishabout models hit the scene and were an instant success, the CC Fishraider was very popular, my mate had one for years, we fished everywhere in it, from the Banks to the Snowy Mountains, he converted it to a tiller steer, then sold it about 8-10 years ago.

Edited by noelm

10 minutes ago, noelm said:

The very early flared bow models were kind of low sided, called the "Seaman" and later the "Seaman MK2" but most didn't have bow rails, then the higher sided Fishabout models hit the scene and were an instant success, the CC Fishraider was very popular, my mate had one for years, we fished everywhere in it, from the Banks to the Snowy Mountains, he converted it to a tiller steer, then sold it about 8-10 years ago.

Noel. You seem to know the boats very well. Think my old mate Ron Calcutt had a seaman and wasn't real happy with it at all, gave it a bad review and the model was soon dropped.

Brings back some wonderful memory's of my youth and early manhood. Ron showed me the buoy anchoring system and I have used it ever since.

Frank

• Like 1

7 hours ago, frankS said:

Noel. You seem to know the boats very well. Think my old mate Ron Calcutt had a seaman and wasn't real happy with it at all, gave it a bad review and the model was soon dropped.

Brings back some wonderful memory's of my youth and early manhood. Ron showed me the buoy anchoring system and I have used it ever since.

Frank

I was working part time in the industry then, selling Seafarers and Johnson outboards, so I kind of had to know what was what. Ron Calcutt did a bit of filming down here for his old TV series "A fisherman's world" really nice guy, most was fishing out of an old Swiftcraft and a Dehaviland Offshore (we used to sell them too) good times back them, life was so easy (so was fishing) even having an old paper sounder was a big deal, GPS was not even heard of, mobile phones were a thing of science fiction, if you couldn't remember to line up some house with a tree or something you were lost......

Noel. I remember his Swiftcraft seagull with ( would you believe ) a Chrysler outboard. Ron loved the Chryslers but I think Johnson jumped on him and sponsored him for many years. He also had a great Quintrex Fishraider 4.5 cent console as well as a few other boats through the years.

Frank

• Like 1