So, what makes a good post?

big Neil

I'm angry! The clowns who run the water supply to the Murrumbidgee never cease to amaze me. Not with their brilliance, quite the opposite! We are in the middle of Easter holidays and they have, once again, run the river dry. April is one of the best months for Murray Cod fishing down here and they have a dam full of water and an empty river.

IMG_8588rs.jpg.7e7e1963adeef4036b58a2ca18eda014.jpg

IMG_8592rs.jpg.7a944be9c1ac2c99a63b37b070c8158f.jpg

Thousands of local people are unable to launch their ski boat or fishing boat at a critical time of the year. This holiday period always marks the last opportunity for families to spend time camping at the river, before the onset of Winter.

Okay, so let us cut to the chase! Let us analyse the above post. What's good about it and what's not...

Is it relevant? Not really! At a time when most Fishraiders are dealing with the aftermath of serious flooding which has impacted millions of coastal residents, who cares that some clown is preventing a few people from having a bit of fun on an inland river?

Does the post relay enough information to the potential audience? Maybe, most likely not! This is subjective. It states a set of facts but doesn't relate enough information to the audience to help them fully understand the importance of the post... The pictures certainly help though. Unfortunately they fail to depict what the people are missing out on doing.

So, why have I created this post? How did it come about?

I was reading some posts on here this morning and it dawned on me that there are thousands of fishing techniques which I have no experience of. Indeed fishing is a continuously changing sport. New innovations, methods, locations, applications, tackle. Many of us assume that our audience will know enough to be able to fully understand what the essence of our post is. Often this is true, but maybe we should ask ourselves "have I given enough information?" "Have I assumed that the audience will be familiar with this particular product or technique which I am using?" Maybe they don't know what a Stumpjumper #1 is, how is it used and why? Maybe a picture and some brief info would be helpful?

I hope that this post may stimulate some feedback and maybe permit us to critically analyse our posts with the aim of helping each other to broaden our horizons when it comes to sharing our fishing experiences. Thanks for reading... bn

• Like 6

Hi Neil this is a very worthy post in my opinion. Sadly, the continuous water flow issues are ongoing.

I know whenever I post something I probably go the other route and a "short" post ends up being pretty long, but I try to give information of exactly what I/we were doing without dragging it on for too long (hopefully!)

When I was posting plenty of stories during the height of the pandemic, I felt I was at times making them a bit long, but as people were giving good feedback, I didn't change format.

ALL your posts are very informative and well described, even as someone who doesn't fish freshwater much any more (or anywhere much) I enjoy reading and learning from what you've posted. Keep it up!

Regards Waza

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, motiondave said:

In regards to putting enough information.

How do I put it, yes my info might be a bit basic. My flick lure rod is a graphite 7 foot rod I bought on special from a shop. Not sure what brand it is. The reel on it is a 1000 reel, not sure what brand.

The 7lb braid cost me $40, not sure what brand.

I use 10lb mono leader at about half to 1m depend on how long I actually cut the line to tie it. 

I use cheap jigheads from Kmart and zman watermelon grubs 2.5", I think.

My bait lines are cheap 6.6' things from Kmart, fibreglass, the reels, dunno, 2500 series something I bought on special, the line is cheap 10lb mono, dunno what brand, price was right. I use Kmart long shank #2 hooks and Kmart swivels and sinkers. I've no techniques for bait lines, sure I might try a different length leader or a smaller or larger sinker depending if I'm casting and current.

My big bait lines , again,Kmart sturdy boat rods, reels 5000 6000 series cheap jobs with cheap 30 and 50lb braid.

Pardon me being blunt, but I'm not hiding techniques nor spots but to have to put that much detail in is really taking up time. 

If my reports are unworthy to others, then too bad. 

Not aimed at you, but everyone. 

Rekt

Nothing wrong with your posts Dave- I enjoy reading them

• Like 1

15 hours ago, motiondave said:

In regards to putting enough information.

How do I put it, yes my info might be a bit basic. My flick lure rod is a graphite 7 foot rod I bought on special from a shop. Not sure what brand it is. The reel on it is a 1000 reel, not sure what brand.

The 7lb braid cost me $40, not sure what brand.

I use 10lb mono leader at about half to 1m depend on how long I actually cut the line to tie it. 

I use cheap jigheads from Kmart and zman watermelon grubs 2.5", I think.

My bait lines are cheap 6.6' things from Kmart, fibreglass, the reels, dunno, 2500 series something I bought on special, the line is cheap 10lb mono, dunno what brand, price was right. I use Kmart long shank #2 hooks and Kmart swivels and sinkers. I've no techniques for bait lines, sure I might try a different length leader or a smaller or larger sinker depending if I'm casting and current.

My big bait lines , again,Kmart sturdy boat rods, reels 5000 6000 series cheap jobs with cheap 30 and 50lb braid.

Pardon me being blunt, but I'm not hiding techniques nor spots but to have to put that much detail in is really taking up time. 

If my reports are unworthy to others, then too bad. 

Not aimed at you, but everyone. 

Rekt

Hey Dave thanks for your replies. The intent behind my post is twofold.. Firstly, to express my concerns about the river which I fish and how the powers that be have a different agenda. Secondly, to stimulate Raiders to examine their posts to see whether they are "doing themselves justice". Undoubtedly, adding a photo or two helps to create a better picture (pun intended). Even the fact that you can catch fish on "cheap" fishing gear is a story in itself. Do we need a ROLLS ROYCE to be able to go to the shops? I distinctly remember your posts about the "racing boat" and the problems which you encountered...there was plenty of feedback. I can also recall needing to take a packed lunch before starting to read Wazas' posts...filled with the experiences of yesteryear. Only Bear Grylls would be allowed to do the things which Waza and his mates used to do all those years ago. So, there's no right or wrong.

Just like 10% of anglers catch 90% of the fish, 10% of Raiders supply 90% of the posts. That's something for the 90% to consider. This forum has amazing potential for all of us. Let's use it!

Cheers, bn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you BN,

As anewer reader/member I have sought solice in Fishraider over the past 12 months on an almost daily basis.

I don't get out as much as I like (like most of us) but I find the reports including Wazza's stories fascinating and educational (@Scratchie etc) so your post is, to me most timely.

It's not so much when, but where & how that gets the juices pumping - the technical stuff & the comraderie - like Wazza's recollections of times gone by.

Thanks for the post.

As a side note, following our conversation I donated 2 lures to the mighty Murray & Darling Rivers at Wentworth to no avail & drowned my sorrows at the Hotel after dark with a good steak. The good news is that the lures were easily replaced at at the big tackle shop at Coffs.

Thanks, Hoods

• Like 1

As a side note the low flow is due to lack of demand for irrigation - Rice is being harvested etc. I do agrree however that the MDBC "Management" leaves "a lot to be desired" - welcome to Government!!!!!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Hoods said:

Thank you BN,

As anewer reader/member I have sought solice in Fishraider over the past 12 months on an almost daily basis.

I don't get out as much as I like (like most of us) but I find the reports including Wazza's stories fascinating and educational (@Scratchie etc) so your post is, to me most timely.

It's not so much when, but where & how that gets the juices pumping - the technical stuff & the comraderie - like Wazza's recollections of times gone by.

Thanks for the post.

As a side note, following our conversation I donated 2 lures to the mighty Murray & Darling Rivers at Wentworth to no avail & drowned my sorrows at the Hotel after dark with a good steak. The good news is that the lures were easily replaced at at the big tackle shop at Coffs.

Thanks, Hoods

Sorry to hear that you lost a couple of lures on your trip to the Murray Hoods. Always a risk of happening, more so when fishing from the bank. They're not cheap either. Keep in touch and if you're down this way again, with the planets aligning we may be able to catch up. In the meantime I'll let you know if I plan a trip up your way. Cheers, bn

Look forward to you visiting mate - the rivers are cleaning up. Hopefully the Nambucca cleans up early & we can catch up with Dirvin & the young Mr James Cain for a Red Devil session before the end of the season!!!

• Like 1