Pleasant day on the Hacking

jenno64

Got myself organised yesterday collecting poddies and picking up some live prawns for an early bash this morning. Headed out before sun up to a cool breeze and trolled poddies in the deep water up near Yowie Bay.

Salmon were busting up big time and a few other boats got stuck into them with various lures. My first fish of the day was a shovel nose ray on a live prawn! Soon after a legal flounder smashed one of the poddies. The flatty and  tailor followed came on board, both on poddies. I lost a coupe of good fish on the live prawns in the deep and got a glimpse of a rat king that spat the hook.

Picked my wife up around 10am for a cruise around then threw a few prawns at the boats on one of the marinas, picking up a nice bream and a small whiting. Lost what I thought was a big bream and all went quiet.

Headed over to Maianbar with the last few prawns and picked up a couple of sub legal whiting. When I ran our of prawns I through a hardbody at the weed edges and was smashed by the bigger whiting. Happy with a nice mixed feed and headed in around 1pm.

Beautiful day on the water and the tools in tinnies & jet skis kept to themselves. Looking forward to a nice feed af fillets later this week:)

1 (3).jpg

6 (3).jpg

3 (2).jpg

2 (3).jpg

5 (3).jpg

4 (3).jpg

• Like 12

Nice bag of fish Rob.

I was on the Murray river for a few days. Threw out a bait of cheese for not a bite.

Now at Gundagai for a week or so, the Murrumbidgee is down a bit in level, maybe have a try over the next few days.  

Leave me some fish for next week.  😂

I would be cooking the prawns instead.  :074:

Edited by Yowie

19 hours ago, big Neil said:

Great post Rob. Looks like the water has cleared up nicely. Winter must be on the way, definitely getting cool overnight and first thing in the morning. bn

Water was still pretty murky for the Hacking and the morning was cool but overall beautiful fishing weather:)

19 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Great work there! Starting to look like yowies mat! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Yowie's mat usually looks like a seafood platter! I'd like to have his results on a consistent basis:)

17 hours ago, Yowie said:

Nice bag of fish Rob.

I was on the Murray river for a few days. Threw out a bait of cheese for not a bite.

Now at Gundagai for a week or so, the Murrumbidgee is down a bit in level, maybe have a try over the next few days.  

Leave me some fish for next week.  😂

I would be cooking the prawns instead.  :074:

I bet the Murray is flowing well! Hope you get a cod or something else on your list! You can always catch yabbies:)

I'm sure you'll getyour usual feed next week!!

• Like 1

Great mixed bag Rob...

Would have any of those on my plate

Hacking can turn out some great fishing without the constant wash of the ferries and large cruisers as you get in Sydney harbor.

Went out to Sydney harbor last week and the water started to clear up...

Mr T

Anyone know any good poddy spots. 
Was thinking it would be good around grays point. 

and any spots closer to Cronulla that people are catching them? Gunnamatta bay? Near the boat ramps possibly?

8 hours ago, Mr Squidy said:

Looks like a great day there with a top feed to boot. Would love to hear how/where you gather your prawns, such good bait live.

Cheers,

Rich

Macs bait bar sells them live - not available all the time though.

20 years ago I used to see people prawning at night on the flats next to St George sailing club in sans souci.

11 hours ago, Mr Squidy said:

Looks like a great day there with a top feed to boot. Would love to hear how/where you gather your prawns, such good bait live.

Cheers,

Rich

Bought the prawns from a bait shop in Beverly Hills😉

9 hours ago, Larkin said:

Anyone know any good poddy spots. 
Was thinking it would be good around grays point. 

and any spots closer to Cronulla that people are catching them? Gunnamatta bay? Near the boat ramps possibly?

Any sand flat in the Hacking has a million of the poddies at this time of year!

• Like 1