Port Stephens- Time to go to work!!!

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

I’ve been fishing pretty hard of late. Trying to make the most of my opportunities to hit the water, with family, friends and fishraiders. I’m not able to get out on every call I get but I’ve been trying my best. 

Anyway, the master plan has been to get out early to beat the tourists, arrive at grounds first light and head home by 830-9 or when the fish stop biting. 

The last few weeks we’ve had some good successes with this method. And the fish have been playing ball. There’s been a few good snapper in the mix and a heap of Mack tuna to get the arms stretched. Here’s the latest efforts! 

All fish caught on soft plastics, using either gulp or zmans. 
Rod: 701 TT BLACK MUMBA

REEL: 4000 OKUMA EPIXOR

BRAID: 20lb bionic and 20lb platypus fluro

JIG: TT 1/4 5/0

All supplied by Port Stephens bait n tackle 

52BAF02B-0BDE-4521-BEBA-4F7A45499734.thumb.jpeg.0331fb03111b24cfdc1fec4edf8c8092.jpeg

656DE120-CF73-4BF7-93F8-8AAC1DEF530E.thumb.jpeg.3e7816064cdd52a7b8d518a9cb743254.jpeg

A875D3B8-4A6D-4E37-A6D5-A3499774FCCE.thumb.jpeg.9670622b90e03404d51bc1bdac23fc3b.jpeg

72086861-530F-49A8-A9CA-85948CE0F3C0.thumb.jpeg.81cbb34a4208aaea5a99d6811034e6bf.jpeg

36D3CBD8-6C06-487E-9961-740FD980746A.thumb.jpeg.1d19848ad50251bebf9feaade89a869d.jpeg

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Another great lot of fish.

You would be bouncing a plastic for a reddie, then have a mongrel mack try to pull your arms out of their sockets.  😂

Thanks yowie! Haha, they both do the same depending on size 🤣🤣

39 minutes ago, Brendonjohnson said:

Is that a TT rod as in the brand TT lures?

Yes mate. Tackle tactics. Solid rod and reel combo for under $300

28 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Great haul again. Well done. Super photos

Cheers mate! 🤙

Noice One Scratchie. Fantastic results. We're having inconsistent results up here on the mid north coast. What colour water were you in and do you think lighter gear is more productive. Thanks for the report. Hoods

1 hour ago, bessell1955 said:

Wow, so many Snapper !

Cheers. So many casts too! 

29 minutes ago, Hoods said:

Noice One Scratchie. Fantastic results. We're having inconsistent results up here on the mid north coast. What colour water were you in and do you think lighter gear is more productive. Thanks for the report. Hoods

Thanks Hoods. Water temp has been inconsistent. Today was sort of clear but cold green and 20.8 deg. 
Most of the reef I fish is between 6-20m of water. 20lb line allows you to fish light enough to entice the bite, yet strong enough to stop most of them! 

17 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Nice work Jeff.

Looked like it was going to be a good day.

Thanks Andrew. Beautiful day out there 

Years ago I was off Crowdy when a large noise intrupted our fishing. A huge school of Dolphins was coming our way. We had livies out but they were ignored. As one came closer  I put my hand in the water & splashed it around. A large dolpihin swam sideways along side the boat & gently rubbed itself against my hand. Cannot recall if I caught a fish or not  - didn't matter. A magic day on the water.

• Like 1

What time are you leaving the ramp these days, Jeff? I think I’ve gotta get better at navigating in the dark and I think I spend too much time trying for livies! 😂😂 Planned to head out tomorrow but I’ve stuffed my back. 🤬

17 minutes ago, Hoods said:

Years ago I was off Crowdy when a large noise intrupted our fishing. A huge school of Dolphins was coming our way. We had livies out but they were ignored. As one came closer  I put my hand in the water & splashed it around. A large dolpihin swam sideways along side the boat & gently rubbed itself against my hand. Cannot recall if I caught a fish or not  - didn't matter. A magic day on the water.

Sounds amazing! You should see the videos on the GoPro I got! Just awesome 👏 

1 minute ago, Berleyguts said:

What time are you leaving the ramp these days, Jeff? I think I’ve gotta get better at navigating in the dark and I think I spend too much time trying for livies! 😂😂 Planned to head out tomorrow but I’ve stuffed my back. 🤬

Thanks Baz. 🤣🤣 

I leave about 1-1 1/2hrs before first light. In reality, you only need 6-8 live baits. If you lose that many, then it’s a good day! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hucho hucho said:

It looks easy but in reality it is hard work. Most of us are learning from you Scratchie. Thank you!

Thanks hucho. 

And your 100% right, it’s not easy! It has taken me a long time to become consistent and find the areas that produce. Really early mornings and a lot of preparation go into each trip. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GordoRetired said:

I am going to have to tow my boat up to Port Stephens and see if I can get one of those huge Snapper... Never even come close to the ones you seem to catch every trip out 🙂

Cheers Gordo. 
A lot more to see up here than just the fishing. But when there on, there on!!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Cheers Gordo. 
A lot more to see up here than just the fishing. But when there on, there on!!! 

I have spent a lot of time up there in the past, I fished the Interclub 8 years in a row, but that was BK, before kids. 🙂
Had a few holidays there as well with the family but never gone out chasing the Snapper. I'll get back up there one day for that.

10 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Awesome result as usual Scratchie! The early starts are doing the job:)

Cheers Rob. Early bird gets the bite that’s for sure. The fishing has actually been quite difficult. Most fish are caught from first light    and the next hour or two before it shuts  down. Less hassle at the ramp too 🤙

7 hours ago, GordoRetired said:

I have spent a lot of time up there in the past, I fished the Interclub 8 years in a row, but that was BK, before kids. 🙂
Had a few holidays there as well with the family but never gone out chasing the Snapper. I'll get back up there one day for that.

Well next time your up here, go chase some reds Gordo 🤙

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 5:40 AM, Pickles said:

Nailed ‘em again Scratchie, thanks for sharing. I’ll definitely chase up PS B&T.

Cheers Bob. Mate, next time your up here drop in and take a look. 🤙

11 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Top stuff as always Jeff. Thats a lot of fish dinners!!

Thanks Sam. Shared it to a few families 🤙