Flatties on poddies in the Georges

jenno64

Collected some poddies yesterday arvo ready for a bash in the Georges this morning. Launched at Kurnell about 8:30am and tried for some squid but the water still seems a bit murky. Tried a favourite spot for nada and decided to head to a spot I have fished from the shore. Over the next hour or so I picked up four flatties, two in the 50s. Dropped a couple more after some solid takes.

As the tide turned I headed up the river to a couple of deep water spots to no avail but tried another drop-off and picked up three more fish with a small area.

Headed back to a couple of deep water spots for the last of the run out but not much action so back to the first spot and lost a couple more in between a few undersized plastic caught flatties, one which was followed up to the surface by a fish twice its size.

Absolutely beautiful day weather-wise and ended up with a great feed which was filleted into three family meals of tasty fillets! No more fishing for a while as I'm back to work next week:(

IMG_8533 (2).jpg

IMG_8534 (2).jpg

• Like 13

8 hours ago, big Neil said:

Hi Jenno. What rig are you using to fish the poddies to catch Flathead? bn

Hi Neil

I use a paternoster rig in deeper water with a sinker to make sure the bait gets down the bottom in a current. Other wise in shallower water an appropriate sized ball sinker to a trace of  50-80mm of 20 lb trace.

16 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Hi Neil

I use a paternoster rig in deeper water with a sinker to make sure the bait gets down the bottom in a current. Other wise in shallower water an appropriate sized ball sinker to a trace of  50-80mm of 20 lb trace.

Is the baitfish hooked through the dorsal area or the head area? bn