Corrosion on block

Fun2fish

Size of a match head that you can see on the outside but probably much larger on the inside. Once you start prepping it for welding , who knows how much you are going to wear away before you get back to weldable material.

Would need more info and photos before giving proper advise.

Frank

• Like 1

Hi frank motor is assembled and working at the moment I tried to fix with j b weld a few months ago and it worked for a while but is starting to play up again. I’ll probably order new head gasket and pull it apart again for another look just tossing up options as it’s a twin set up and those motors aren’t so easy to find.used outboards are getting top dollar and new 4str are expensive for a 40 year old hull but I wouldn’t be want to be boat less should have found a cheaper hobby

Yeah a lot of internet hype didn’t expect to much . Going from twin 40s to a 75/90 looks around 11k only paid $5000 for boat but I’ve had it nearly 24 years did put 1brand new motor on in 2003 had to replace other original one about 5 years ago with bargain 2nd hand one just hard to find these the 1 it replaced was around 35 years old so not complaining if I have to go a single will try for used and sell these  the one I got new is a fantastic motor hasn’t let me down and will have spare motor for parts

The motor may be able to be welded with success , I am just pointing out that most things including alloy start to rust from the inside out and salt corrosion in allow is just another form of rust so what lies beyond that small hole could be the size of a 20 cent piece, you need to get to clean alloy before it can be welded successfully . You may be better to J B weld or Aquabond to do a temporary job , and buy alternate later down the track. Outboard prices are outrageous.

Frank

Agree boat and car prices are crazy I don’t understand why I had a terrible 2020 work wise I would have thought people having less money would lower cost did everybody cash in super I can’t work it out.I did go out today and motor was fine ,once it warms up no problem came home with 3 pannies largest 48cm only 1 flathead fishing out of broken bay