Sydney Harbour report Friday - weekend looking Good, but prepare your boat with safety gear.

Pickles

Had a great day on the harbour on Friday, bait was easy - lots of Squid and Yakkas and although we only caught one Kingie, there were some monster Bonito in many of the bays and also between the heads. Biggest Bonito went 62cm and also smaller Watson’s leaping Bonito with them. There were also bust ups of salmon, with Trevally underneath, great fun on light gear. The squid were mostly green eyes and a few big units amongst them. These were not at any one location and a “few here and a few there” off the headlands. I was using pink and yellow 2.5 Yamashita jigs and a rainbow (a great standby for me)

I was also able to help out “Howard” and Irishman who must have kicked a Leprechaun as his boat drifted onto the rocks at Canae point (point  off Quarrantine bay) and he was in a lot of trouble. He was an older and somewhat feeble bloke (like myself) who jumped in the water into the swell and got quite knocked around by the rocks trying to stabilise the boat. Another boat also pulled up and between us we were able to pull the boat off the rocks. I threw him, a rope and pulled him aboard and took him around to store beach at the wharf there. I had called 000 and had water police and ambulance on the way, but fortunately able to cancel as, although he was fatigued and a bit chopped up, he was OK. We hung around till he composed himself and his grandson (17-18) drove the boat back to Roseville.

A few things of note. He had no ladder so could not have got in his boat had he not had our assistance, He didn’t think to put his life jacket on until directed to do so and his Grandson didn’t know how to operate the boat or know where the safety gear was “Hidden”. His anchor rope was old, frayed rope that snapped under pressure (I keep 30m of braided old 11mm climbing rope as a “recovery line” ) and he had no first aid kit or radio on board.

It reinforced in me that it is really important to have (more) gear for unexpected occasions in well maintained condition at hand and for all aboard to know where it all is and how to use it.

”We get to be old and wise, by once being young and stupid” (Pickles)

DBAB46CC-8553-422F-85AF-BAC74877BF8E.jpeg

B9C1A102-B36B-4341-95DB-F03C0B645E7D.jpeg

0141E7AE-2159-45A7-B6CD-C6C48854EF87.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
Spelling
  • Like 5

Great that you were able to help him out Bob. Hopefully he will rectify some of his shortfalls before he goes out again.

Seems that when the bait is easy to come by the target species aren't and vice versa. Do you eat the Bonito or keep them for bait? I would imagine them to be very "oily".

Cheers, Neil

Good on you Bob. Another fishraider to the rescue. Definitely highlights the importance of having the right safety gear and equipment onboard. But more importantly, having it accessible and knowing how to use it! Glad there was a good outcome from this story! Kudos to you Bob! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

3 hours ago, hucho hucho said:

Great and very interesting report and thanks for great advice. As we get older we are supposed to be wiser, but we use strength and flexibility. Safety always first! 

Sorry for mistake. As we get older we loose strength and flexibility. Cheers