lures to use for pelagics esp kings and bonitos

bkk

im fairly new to lure fishing and I would like to know which lures would be recommended. I am planning to get the 5 inch pearl zman minnowz and the chrome slices from kmart (but i have heard the hooks are bad will i have to replace them?).
i already have the minnowz bad shad and some topwater minnow lures from jarvis walker.
could do please give any suggestions for both metal and soft plastics?

thanks

Hi BKK,

Welcome to the forum.

Be warned - once you get used to catching them on lures it gets addictive (and potentially expensive).

To assist with your question what gear are you using?

I usually run two outfits to chase kings in Sydney harbour.

The bream gear (2-4kg graphite rod, 2500 size shimano reel and 4lb braid with 8lb leader) when the pelagics are in the harbour chasing the small baitfish. I use 3 or 4" minnows with a TT bullet head jig head. 10 gram silver halco twisties are also very effective.

The snapper gear (5-8kg graphite rod, 4000 size shimano reel and 15lb braid with 30lb leader). For this I like the 6 or 9" slapstix matched with a weighted TT jighead so I can work the full water column. Alternatively the heavier (say 30g or 40g depending on your rod rating) Halco twisties with a very fast retrieve work a treat.

I prefer to change out the trebles for a similar sized single. I don't feel the hook up rate is noticeably worse and it doesn't tear up the face of a fish as much. Try unhooking a wriggling tailor when it has all three hooks in its mouth. Also I feel like for like the singles are generally a little stronger than the trebles.

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Pickles said:

For Kingies it’s is hard to go past a white Sluggo (I often use on X2 weed less 7/0) and just let it drift to the Bottom (also caught salmon when floating in the burley trail)

18 hours ago, noelm said:

Bonito will take anything, cheap lures will be fine, Kingfish tend to be a bit more fussy, unless they are on the small side and in a big school.

noted thanks 

18 hours ago, Pickles said:

For Kingies it’s is hard to go past a white Sluggo (I often use on X2 weed less 7/0) and just let it drift to the Bottom (also caught salmon when floating in the burley trail)

would pier 8 be nice at the sydney harbour or blues point

7 hours ago, Azza_Fishing said:

Personally I wouldn't look past the Daiwa Baitjunkie 5inch and 7inch jerkshad in a pearl white colour or any sort of natural looking colours. For bonito, i usually go towards a halco 10g metal spinner and retrieve it at a fast wind pace. 

would 10g be too light tho?

3 hours ago, Rebel said:

Welcome aboard.

Depends where you a going to fish. Certain lures suit different styles of fishing.

Cheers.

most likely in the sydney harbour like pier 8 blues point watsons bay

2 hours ago, DerekD said:

Hi BKK,

Welcome to the forum.

Be warned - once you get used to catching them on lures it gets addictive (and potentially expensive).

To assist with your question what gear are you using?

I usually run two outfits to chase kings in Sydney harbour.

The bream gear (2-4kg graphite rod, 2500 size shimano reel and 4lb braid with 8lb leader) when the pelagics are in the harbour chasing the small baitfish. I use 3 or 4" minnows with a TT bullet head jig head. 10 gram silver halco twisties are also very effective.

The snapper gear (5-8kg graphite rod, 4000 size shimano reel and 15lb braid with 30lb leader). For this I like the 6 or 9" slapstix matched with a weighted TT jighead so I can work the full water column. Alternatively the heavier Halco twisties with a very fast retrieve work a treat.

I prefer to change out the trebles for a similar sized single. I don't feel the hook up rate is noticeably worse and it doesn't tear up the face of a fish as much. Try unhooking a wriggling tailor when it has all three hooks in its mouth. Also I feel like for like the singles are generally a little stronger than the trebles.

Regards,

Derek

thanks derek i am using a 2.5m lure rod and a 4m bream drummer luderick gear which is for bait. 

with the bream and snapper gear it is quite similar to my lure rod gear and yet was very helpful.

would singles be more effective than trebles tho?

i am looking to go to pier 8 for kings and bonitos is that a good spot if conditions are right?

46 minutes ago, bkk said:

thanks derek i am using a 2.5m lure rod and a 4m bream drummer luderick gear which is for bait. 

with the bream and snapper gear it is quite similar to my lure rod gear and yet was very helpful.

would singles be more effective than trebles tho?

i am looking to go to pier 8 for kings and bonitos is that a good spot if conditions are right?

4m rod - maybe for retrieving only but will be difficult to handle/cast.

Nothing wrong with pier 8, just depends on timing of what's passing through when your lure is in the water. Keep an eye on surface activity.

54 minutes ago, anthman said:

4m rod - maybe for retrieving only but will be difficult to handle/cast.

Nothing wrong with pier 8, just depends on timing of what's passing through when your lure is in the water. Keep an eye on surface activity.

yeh the 4m rod is mainly used for when i go rock fishing but it’s usually only used for bait not lure

yeh ill always check for bust ups bc one time at blues point i missed out on a ten second bustup of kings and that was the only thing i got to see and caught barely anything there 

Match the hatch-probably the real key to success with pelagics. An arsenal of a few metal slices of varying sizes, a few long, slim soft plastics and a couple of hardbody poppers/stickbaits will put you on the road to success with bonnies and kings. Speed is important, both these species live for it when it comes to lures, white is an excellent colour choice.

1 hour ago, PaddyT said:

Match the hatch-probably the real key to success with pelagics. An arsenal of a few metal slices of varying sizes, a few long, slim soft plastics and a couple of hardbody poppers/stickbaits will put you on the road to success with bonnies and kings. Speed is important, both these species live for it when it comes to lures, white is an excellent colour choice.

thank you for your advice

however what is the hatch? are you talking about the bait fish?

12 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Hi @bkk welcome

Members are giving you excellent info

Check out our articles section if you haven’t already for some good reads 😉

thank you

is there an articles section on this website?

1 hour ago, bkk said:

thank you for your advice

however what is the hatch? are you talking about the bait fish?

yep-when fish are following and not committing an excellent option is go smaller and go faster-gut the first fish you catch and have a look at what they are eating

Hi BKK,

If you can make it to the lower North Shore in the near future I'll be happy to meet up with you as it will shorten the learning curve dramatically. I just don't take any responsibility for any gear you decide you need to buy after heading out with me. It could get expensive. 😃

There is a PM (Private Message - envelope up the top of the page) function on this website if you want to reach out.

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD

1 hour ago, PaddyT said:

yep-when fish are following and not committing an excellent option is go smaller and go faster-gut the first fish you catch and have a look at what they are eating

ohh yep thats ingenious thanks

36 minutes ago, DerekD said:

Hi BKK,

If you can make it to the lower North Shore in the near future I'll be happy to meet up with you as it will shorten the learning curve dramatically. I just don't take any responsibility for any gear you decide you need to buy after heading out with me. It could get expensive. 😃

There is a PM (Private Message - envelope up the top of the page) function on this website if you want to reach out.

Regards,

Derek

hey derekd that would be great however im not too sure if i will be able to go fishing this month or the next as i have exams. i am a high school student and i always go fishing with my dad and sometimes my friend so i will let you know when i will be going. 

if you do decide to go, where would you head out to?

thanks

8 hours ago, bkk said:

hey derekd that would be great however im not too sure if i will be able to go fishing this month or the next as i have exams. i am a high school student and i always go fishing with my dad and sometimes my friend so i will let you know when i will be going. 

thanks

It's a great offer from DerekD, definitely fast tracked lure fishing for me.

14 hours ago, bkk said:

Hi Bkk,

No particular rush as I get the exams are important. I fish multiple times most weeks and usually on the lower North Shore (from Mosman to North Sydney are my usual fishing areas). 

This site has an adopt a learner section with the proviso that the learner be over 18. As you are still at school I would prefer if you bring a parent or adult along. I have spare gear I use for teaching people and if your father (or mother) is keen we should be able to introduce him/her to lures at the same.

When I mentor someone there is a lot of knowledge (gear, casting, lure types, retrieves, etc.) to go through and an 8 hour session on the first day is not uncommon. Minimum I prefer is 4 hours and there have been a few 12 hour sessions before. As long as it stays fun I don't mind how long the day runs.

Some reports from some of the people I assisted in the last year:

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 1