lures to use for pelagics esp kings and bonitos

bkk

I am another one of Derek's student! He has a wealth of knowledge and humbly shares his experience and time! I have been to a few sessions with him (the most recent being pumping yabbies) and definitely fast tracked my fishing skills!

• Like 1

@DerekD

Do y know you can get a Working with Children document (WWCC ). I have one becuse I am involved in Karting with children.

The document is free to Volunteers. Just go to the website or any Service NSW.

if you do apply make sure you mark the paper Volunteer, otherwise it is $80.00.

The document is very handy to have, when you are involved with children.

They last for five years.

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Rebel said:

@DerekD

Do y know you can get a Working with Children document (WWCC ). I have one becuse I am involved in Karting with children.

Hi Rebel,

Thanks for the heads up but while I have a clean police record it is of little interest to me as it is safer all round to have another adult there. Current culture in the world is that any sort of accusation is very difficult to disprove. One wrong comment or misconstrued action (e.g. correcting a posture) can ruin your life.

My other reason for it in this specific case is that it is something BKK and father can learn together.

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DerekD said:

Hi Bkk,

No particular rush as I get the exams are important. I fish multiple times most weeks and usually on the lower North Shore (from Mosman to North Sydney are my usual fishing areas). 

This site has an adopt a learner section with the proviso that the learner be over 18. As you are still at school I would prefer if you bring a parent or adult along. I have spare gear I use for teaching people and if your father (or mother) is keen we should be able to introduce him/her to lures at the same.

When I mentor someone there is a lot of knowledge (gear, casting, lure types, retrieves, etc.) to go through and an 8 hour session on the first day is not uncommon. Minimum I prefer is 4 hours and there have been a few 12 hour sessions before. As long as it stays fun I don't mind how long the day runs.

Some reports from some of the people I assisted in the last year:

Regards,

Derek

hey derekd

it would be awesome to learn from you and yes i will bring my dad if we ever do go.
im amazed by the people that you have helped, truly would love to get some lessons from some with expertise.

if my parents dont allow to do so, maybe after i graduate it would be a lot easier, yet that will be a long wait.

thanks

• Like 1

Plenty of good info here.

Pelagics can be very fussy at times so it's best to have a bunch of lures of different colours and sizes. Some of my best sessions have come from firstly getting an idea what they are eating on that day and matching that profile. This is done by just observing your surroundings, watch for birds, small schools of bait moving around etc.

You'd be surprised how locked in they can get, often throwing a 3 inch lure when they're locked in to a 2.75 inch profile will mean the difference between a fish every 20 casts or one every cast (this is golden advice I received from another raider a little while ago). For this reason, I always go out with a bunch of metals (Any will work) and soft plastics in the 4-5 inch range (Jerkshads and paddletails). If I can't match the bait with a metal, I will trim down a plastic to the profile of bait I see swimming around.

In saying that, often being unconventional can be rewarding. Many times I have been side by side with other anglers spinning metals and it's my big obnoxious popper that gets the bite.

In short, take whatever you can with you and don't be afraid to switch it up.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2021 at 10:07 AM, slurm said:

Plenty of good info here.

Pelagics can be very fussy at times so it's best to have a bunch of lures of different colours and sizes. Some of my best sessions have come from firstly getting an idea what they are eating on that day and matching that profile. This is done by just observing your surroundings, watch for birds, small schools of bait moving around etc.

You'd be surprised how locked in they can get, often throwing a 3 inch lure when they're locked in to a 2.75 inch profile will mean the difference between a fish every 20 casts or one every cast (this is golden advice I received from another raider a little while ago). For this reason, I always go out with a bunch of metals (Any will work) and soft plastics in the 4-5 inch range (Jerkshads and paddletails). If I can't match the bait with a metal, I will trim down a plastic to the profile of bait I see swimming around.

In saying that, often being unconventional can be rewarding. Many times I have been side by side with other anglers spinning metals and it's my big obnoxious popper that gets the bite.

In short, take whatever you can with you and don't be afraid to switch it up.

thank you so much for the information i really appreciate it

but are you still able to catch the fish without bustups

15 hours ago, bkk said:

thank you so much for the information i really appreciate it

but are you still able to catch the fish without bustups

in my personal experience landbased, i have had more hookups while the fish are not busting up, although still near the bustups. casting large profile lures on top of a school of fish can spook them as much as excite them, so smaller metals around 5-10g have always worked better for me when casting directly into schools

4 hours ago, little fisho said:

in my personal experience landbased, i have had more hookups while the fish are not busting up, although still near the bustups. casting large profile lures on top of a school of fish can spook them as much as excite them, so smaller metals around 5-10g have always worked better for me when casting directly into schools

when there arent any bustups should i use lures that sink or stay afloat?

3 hours ago, bkk said:

when there arent any bustups should i use lures that sink or stay afloat?

depends on the species but keep trying with different lures, matching the profile of baitfish like mentioned before in this topic. if a fisho nearby you hooks up then you can try politely ask what he was using and try to match it with a lure of your own

On 4/25/2021 at 10:25 PM, little fisho said:

depends on the species but keep trying with different lures, matching the profile of baitfish like mentioned before in this topic. if a fisho nearby you hooks up then you can try politely ask what he was using and try to match it with a lure of your own

ohh thank you i will definitely try that next time.

are there any lures you would suggest? or maybe bait