Perfect conditions for lizard hunting off Broken Bay

dlvbw

The forecast looked amazing for Sunday afternoon so headed out with @reel'em around 1pm from Bayview. The ramp was almost empty which is always a great start to the day. Plan was to head to the deeper grounds for a relaxing arvo sesh and to get a feed of lizards. A mate of ours was also going to join us from Terrigal too in his new rig.

Conditions were unbelievable. Very little swell and light winds.

Headed straight out to the 40 odd metre mark and dropped a variety of baits including pillies, vacuum sealed yakkas from a previous kingie trip and squid strips. First drift pretty uneventful so we headed deeper and a little to the south. Second drift started well with two fish 42 and 48 cm in the boat. From there it was a consistent flow of nice fish. Nothing crazy but after 5 or so drifts we got 10 keepers (smallest 42cm) with 4 over 50 and the biggest 54cm. Only caught a couple of throw backs. There is always a little by-catch which included two occies and 2 rays, all went back unharmed. 

Rigs were a combination of double loop paternosters and single hook drifting rigs with an octo jig as the weight. No bait really out performed another. We were using 120 gr jigs. 

Called it around 530 and cruised back under a beautiful evening glow, barely a boat to be seen and with the motor pretty much at full tilt. 

Gotta love autumn fishing. 

Cheers

D

Flatties - 1.jpg

Flatties - 2.jpg

Flatties - 3.jpg

Flatties - 4.jpg

• Like 13

Thank you again Dunc for taking me onboard. It was indeed a great arvo sesh. We had few double hook ups where we were confused who’s going to help to net. LoL All together I had really great time.

I had clean and cook the flatties with Thai style red fish curry. It was amazing. Nothing can beat flatties for sure.

1 hour ago, Rey05 said:

good to see they are out there in numbers..... its great when Bayview is empty, although its rare these days. 

Yeah, at least in autumn most of the pleasure boats have been put away! 

19 hours ago, motiondave said:

I was looking At navigation chart, the 40m mark, thats more or less just off the east side of Lion Island?
basically from Barenjoey over to Box head?

It is super flat out there mate. 50m is around (and don't quote me) 10km straight out. 

Dlvbw yeah it’s my normal spot if I’m having no luck inside always wondered how far out it was as takes a while to get back to Pittwater.your right about how slowly it drops off ,I was out on Saturday picked a few snapper near whale beach and went to flattie grounds when it went quiet only 1 keeper blue spot I have found them hard since the floods.Dave it can be a good spot most times but lots of undersized so need to move around normally further out

14 hours ago, Fun2fish said:

Dlvbw yeah it’s my normal spot if I’m having no luck inside always wondered how far out it was as takes a while to get back to Pittwater.your right about how slowly it drops off ,I was out on Saturday picked a few snapper near whale beach and went to flattie grounds when it went quiet only 1 keeper blue spot I have found them hard since the floods.Dave it can be a good spot most times but lots of undersized so need to move around normally further out

Hey mate- defo find we get far less throwbacks out deeper. The last couple of times I have fished 25/30m it has been a procession of 25cm spikeys that do nothing but destroy your hands! These days I tend to go deep first and move from there. I haven't fished much deeper than 50m but definitely on the list, though more weight is generally less fun!

Cheers